robbybobby005

Alex Reyes 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-28. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

2 minutes ago, Zig Zag said:

Lol, why would you even think that people on this forum don't get that?   We are all just speculating at this point but to even argue that the dip in velocity or leaving early in his first start back even if it's a major league game is not concerning is just being in-denial IMO.

Can you show where I said or insinuated that it isn't concerning?... I'm concerned, for sure.

Edited by robbybobby005
  • Haha 1

They have a great rotation without him. Would make sense if they put him in the pen.

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, shypri said:

They have a great rotation without him. Would make sense if they put him in the pen.

Can we at least get an idea of what the injury is (if anything) before calling for him to move to the pen? Guy has an elite arm and should be given every chance to stick in rotation unless his body flat can't handle it, which may be the case.

Edited by robbybobby005

seriously. how about we just wait for an update rather than debating ourselves off a cliff. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, robbybobby005 said:

Can you show where I said or insinuated that it isn't concerning?

Excuse me, a lot of other people were stating that and then you went on top of it and said the major/minor league thing so I assumed you were in the same pool as them.  I did not know why else you would be stating that unless you were trying to strengthen that side of the argument/stance.  My apologies.

• Like 1

Personally, I think they should have put him in the pen to start out anyway. They have good depth at SP. No reason to rush Reyes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dagnabbit! Was hoping to spin him after this start cause I feared exactly this was coming (at some point). 

Just now, dychead said:

Dagnabbit! Was hoping to spin him after this start cause I feared exactly this was coming (at some point). 

Exactly what?

3 minutes ago, robbybobby005 said:

Exactly what?

injury or under-performance.

the hype train was pretty strong already.. a 5+ inning day with 6+ strikeouts in his first game back? choo-choo!! the sell-high window couldn't get much higher.

obviously redraft considerations versus keeper/dynasty play a factor.

39 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Fatigued in the 3rd inning?

Yeah, why not? He's coming back from an injury. Struggled in the 2nd and it took more out of him than normal. He breezed through the minors and probably exerted more energy in the 2nd than he did in any 1 inning in the minors. 

Or he is out for the season......

20 minutes ago, Big League Choo said:

He did throw like 35+ pitches in the second inning. He was throwing in the 80s through 7 innings in the minors so maybe that amount of pitches in such a short time gassed him. 

Not even close.    From my count, I see   14 pitches in first,  28 in second, 18 in third, and 13 in fourth.

We are you getting 35 + from?

Edited by rich22
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, kelle1sa said:

Very true but it could also be said that throwing 12-15 pitches then resting until the next inning is easier than throwing 35+ pitches in 1 inning against major league batters on the road.

but he didn't have a 35 + pitch inning.    He didn't even have a 30 + pitch inning

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rich22 said:

Not even close.    From my count, I see   14 pitches in first,  28 in second, 18 in third, and 13 in fourth.

We are you getting 35 + from?

Poor math my b

Just now, rich22 said:

but he didn't have a 35 + pitch inning.    He didn't even have a 30 + pitch inning

Lazy commenting.  Saw the 35+ comment and didn't take the time to research.  I think the point still stands, no?  28 pitches in 1 inning when he's cruised in all 4 rehab starts.  Could just be looking for reasoning like everyone else.

The anticipation I had this morning. Blew through my workout, ran home, ran through the drips in my shower only to find Reyes' debut on Facebook Watch. Ugh. I knew I was in for a choppy stream and obtrusive emojis floating through the screen. But, let's see my boy operate ... between the Facebook Watch spinning wheels, invariably. After watching the first two innings, I was not impressed and was going to vent my frustration here before I had knowledge his velocity was down unspooling speculation he is hurt. That's a nice addendum to what I saw. (I say that will all sarcasm.)

At one point, during the broadcast, I commented that "Reyes did not look good" and the commentators, who were so effusive with praise, mentioned it. Dan Plesac said he must be a Brewers fan. Nope, just a Reyes owner from New York. 

Prior to the season, when I drafted him for a dollar or two, I did not have high expectations. I've always heard (and seen it play out) that the last thing to return for TJ returnees is command. It was more disconcerting a case like Reyes whose command was his one shortcoming before the operation. This may explain the dichotomy between his rehab assignment through the minors and what I saw today. A pitcher with great stuff and suspect command may steamroll over minor leaguers but run into trouble in The Show. 

My aversion to immediate TJ returnees was in part the reason I was taken aback by how bullish some podcasters were before the season, then the rehab assignment happened and I had begun to admit I was wrong while I had a palpable excitement as his owner. 

His stuff, for the most part, looked good, but he couldn't command it. Pitchers with good stuff who can't command it are a dime a dozen. You need both in this day and age. More concerning, were the lack of ugly swings he induced. I wanted to see batter flailing at his offerings. He got out of a jam in the 2nd with the opposing pitcher's turn in the order. Guerra, nevertheless, lined out to left (or flew out I forget). Whatever it was it was too hard to be coming off the opposing pitcher's bat. 

Barring injury, I am still positive about his prospects for this year but not quite as bullish as I was. I feel we all may have missed a good selling window. He could come out next start and K everyone but there's a real chance he may be a 1.25-1.30 WHIP guy this year. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

How deep did he pitch in his minor league rehab games?

His last MILB start he threw 90 pitches in 7 ip and the start prior he went 7.2 IP and threw 93 pitches.

He was fully prepared to go 7 IP and throw 95-100 pitches.   So, yes, it is a little concerning he was pulled after 4 and just 73 pitches.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kelle1sa said:

Lazy commenting.  Saw the 35+ comment and didn't take the time to research.  I think the point still stands, no?  28 pitches in 1 inning when he's cruised in all 4 rehab starts.  Could just be looking for reasoning like everyone else.

I know that we saw he mowed down his opponents in rehab, but do we actually know his inning pitch counts for comparison?

6 minutes ago, rich22 said:

So if he had thrown 2 more pitches in the 2nd it would be more reasonable to assume he was just fatigued by the 4th? If you look at his game logs in the minors, I am going to assume he didn't have any 28 pitch innings in the minors. 

Pitchers often say that throwing 75 pitches over 7 innings is far easier  than throwing 60 pitches over 2. We will know for sure after the game..

3 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

So if he had thrown 2 more pitches in the 2nd it would be more reasonable to assume he was just fatigued by the 4th? If you look at his game logs in the minors, I am going to assume he didn't have any 28 pitch innings in the minors

Pitchers often say that throwing 75 pitches over 7 innings is far easier  than throwing 60 pitches over 2. We will know for sure after the game..

No, but throwing 7 + more, like the poster said,  would have.     28 is a lot different than 35 +

His last 2 starts no, but his first two of 67 pitches in 3.1 IP and 80 pitches in 5 IP, I would say there is a decent chance he had a 28 pitch inning

Edited by rich22

If he's not injured, I'll just chalk it up to youth and nerves and move forward with confidence.  I just really hope he's not hurt. I did a LOT of roster moving for him. :angry: I'd be embarrassed to reveal who I turned down for him this past week. 

Edited by DFWSooner
  • Like 1

Edited by BMcP

15 minutes ago, rich22 said:

No, but throwing 7 + more, like the poster said,  would have.     28 is a lot different than 35 +

His last 2 starts no, but his first two of 67 pitches in 3.1 IP and 80 pitches in 5 IP, I would say there is a decent chance he had a 28 pitch inning

Alex Reyes' first pitch was a 96mph Fastball. His last 3 pitches were  96MPH fastballs. He didn't get pulled in the middle of an inning/at bat.

What's more plausible? That he's hurt or was just a little fatigued and the team was being cautious with him? 

45 minutes ago, robbybobby005 said:

Exactly what?

Exactly this.  At some point he was going to have a set-back in his return.  Didn't think it would today.  In redraft leagues (smart) prospective buyers would need to see him face MLB hitters without health related issues.  A laborious, 4 inning start, with velocity concerns isn't going to convince buyers he's worth investing in. As the fool, I was betting the hyper train would stay on the tracks a little longer in order to cash in. #ShameOnMe

Just now, wideopen21 said:

Alex Reyes' first pitch was a 96mph Fastball. His last 3 pitches were  96MPH fastballs. He didn't get pulled in the middle of an inning/at bat.

What's more plausible? That he's hurt or was just a little fatigued and the team was being cautious with him? 

injury concern, pulled for precaution.   That is what I would guess.  Or,   His spot was also due up and they may have been trying to get a run in a scoreless game, figuring he had, at most, another inning in him.  

He just had a 13 pitch inning, so I doubt it was fatigue.    If there was fatigue because of his 28 pitch inning, it would have shown in his next 2 innings, where had thrown 18 and 13 pitches.   Any worry of fatigue was probably alleviated with the 13 pitch inning and the last pitch of 96 mph.  They had, probably, already decided to pull him, after 4, before the start of that inning when they knew his turn at bat was coming

From reading these posts you would think he blew up or went down for the season with an injury or something. But instead, he didn't allow any runs over 4 innings, and his velocity was a bit lower than in minors...that could easily be because he was purposely trying to make sure he would pitch under control as I'm sure the nerves of the first start are overwhelming. We also know nothing about the "apparent injury" so far...you guys jump to conlcusions already talking about how you messed up not selling him high lol smh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1