robbybobby005

Alex Reyes 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-28. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

4 minutes ago, richg24 said:

From reading these posts you would think he blew up or went down for the season with an injury or something. But instead, he didn't allow any runs over 4 innings, and his velocity was a bit lower than in minors...that could easily be because he was purposely trying to make sure he would pitch under control as I'm sure the nerves of the first start are overwhelming. We also know nothing about the "apparent injury" so far...you guys jump to conlcusions already talking about how you messed up not selling him high lol smh

True -- most here, myself included, are getting a bit carried away. I was trying to eat my words. A win-win situation, either he is good and I reap the benefits or he is bad and I am vindicated for being right. I actually think he may do what he did in the minors next time out. 

I got a chuckle out of the people who have been holding him in hopes they could 'sell high' - not because of any setback - but at the flaw in logic with that strategy

most of us are just concerned.   Concerned means we really don't know.  I am sure we are all going to look for post game reactions.   Which means we are all concerned

• Like 1

Alex Reyes said after Wednesday's game against the Brewers that he feels fine.

Reyes was lifted from his season debut after throwing 73 pitches over four scoreless innings. His velocity dipped in the bottom of the fourth and he got a visit from a trainer, but all is apparently well. The 23-year-old right-hander is lined up to face the Marlins at home next Tuesday and will be a must-start in fantasy leagues in that matchup. Including his four shutout frames from Wednesday in Milwaukee, Reyes boasts a 1.44 ERA over 50 career major league innings

phew?

6 minutes ago, Helms said:

Um yhe tweet before this one is dare I use the word, concerning. 

“Alex Reyes said he feels fine and isn't sure why his velocity dipped in those middle innings. Team noncommittal about whether he'll get further tests”

No idea why you failed to post the more important one. 
Edited by chud12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, chud12 said:

Um yhe tweet before this one is dare I use the word, concerning. 

“Alex Reyes said he feels fine and isn't sure why his velocity dipped in those middle innings. Team noncommittal about whether he'll get further tests”

If anything that’s a good sign. If they were truly worried then they would say he was going to need further tests. Matheny didn’t seem concern in his post game interview. 

30 minutes ago, rich22 said:

injury concern, pulled for precaution.   That is what I would guess.  Or,   His spot was also due up and they may have been trying to get a run in a scoreless game, figuring he had, at most, another inning in him.  

He just had a 13 pitch inning, so I doubt it was fatigue.    If there was fatigue because of his 28 pitch inning, it would have shown in his next 2 innings, where had thrown 18 and 13 pitches.   Any worry of fatigue was probably alleviated with the 13 pitch inning and the last pitch of 96 mph.  They had, probably, already decided to pull him, after 4, before the start of that inning when they knew his turn at bat was coming

6 minutes ago, Helms said:

Sorry rich but fatigue was a pretty easy call here

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

Sorry rich but fatigue was a pretty easy call here

so far it looks that way.

On the bright side, despite fatigue and a dip in velocity and control, he still didn't allow a run against a lineup full of good hitters. With that start out of the way, I'm betting (hoping) we see his real stuff next against the Marlins.

6 hours ago, DFWSooner said:

On the bright side, despite fatigue and a dip in velocity and control, he still didn't allow a run against a lineup full of good hitters. With that start out of the way, I'm betting (hoping) we see his real stuff next against the Marlins.

Well, he should have had a bad line, he had plenty of batted ball luck. 

Back on the DL. This sucks

Edit: At least it’s a lat injury and not his elbow

Edited by SpartanDawg

In retrospect, it's pretty hilarious to see all the people saying to not freak out over something that was so obviously concerning.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Big League Choo said:

Can anyone cue me in on how serious a lat strain is?

Depends on what grade the strain is. MLB's description reads like this

Typical recovery time

Recovery time varies depending on the strain, with Grade 1 strains typically requiring 2-3 weeks and Grade 2 strains usually taking at least a month. Grade 3 strains often require surgery, however, and can come with considerably longer recovery periods. In 2010, Jake Peavy became the first Major League pitcher to have a lat surgically repaired when his tore completely off the humerus, causing him to miss more than 10 months.

1 minute ago, Big League Choo said:

Can anyone cue me in on how serious a lat strain is?

Probably not serious at all & this way there's more time to see which SP gets to boot between Flatherty & Weaver 

11 minutes ago, Philoumenos said:

In retrospect, it's pretty hilarious to see all the people saying to not freak out over something that was so obviously concerning.

Lol I was just thinking the same thing. The one guy trying to say the diminished velo. meant nothing and everyone is overreacting, its real comical now. 

• Like 2