robbybobby005

Alex Reyes 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-28. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

The Cardinals have said they want to get him to 100+ innings this year, for his development and readiness next year, and that he's being prepared as a starter. That's a lot of innings for just a reliever, I just don't know how regularly he will start or if the Cardinals are just figuring their starting five right now isn't going to be perfectly healthy the rest of the year, as starting-fives rarely are, and he'll get his chance somehow.

• Like 1

Another Twitter update from Craig Mish, fastball was typically 94-95, up to 98 and one hit 99.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Update: Reyes is through 4 innings and has 9ks with 60 pitches thrown. Can’t wait till he gets a rotation spot come June!!! 

• Like 1

Then all he did was strike out the side in the fifth. 5 shutout innings, 12 Ks, 1 bb, 2 hits. In A ball, but wow.

Sports editor of Peoria paper covering the start tweeted: “If Reyes’ curveball grew up in my house, it would have been grounded for two weeks and had it’s mouth washed out.”

Not to mention he hit 99 with the fastball in his first rehab start.

Edited by Caelum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This seems too good to be true... the saving grace to our fantasy seasons. Please please please stay healthy

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

How many pitches?  Joba rules still to be expexted?

He got up to 80, with 51 strikes.

Next outing should be around 90-95 pitches and then it’s showtime! Still expecting a call up the last week of May or early June 

So if he is only going to throw 100 innings he likely just pitches June, July, August and then to the Bullpen in September??

Just now, Picard56 said:

So if he is only going to throw 100 innings he likely just pitches June, July, August and then to the Bullpen in September??

I'm thinking the bullpen is a strong possibility. They're going to baby him.

16 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

My thinking is that he'll dominate & help carry Saint Louie to the promise land

Edited by ZChronicNebula

14 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

If they plan on babying him, having him throw 5 innings is a funny way to go about it. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

If they plan on babying him, having him throw 5 innings is a funny way to go about it. 

Think you're missing the point. I'm saying sure he'll begin in the rotation, but I doubt he finishes the year there. He's never thrown more than 111 innings, and that was 2 years ago. 

If you think STL is just gonna let him pitch like he never had TJ or such a light innings load you're confused.

Great talent. Super excited for his return. But there's going to be a hard limit on what he's allowed to do. 

I'll take the high quality innings in whatever way they present themselves.  I'm sure he'll make starts.  They've already said so.  But he'd be a devastating bullpen arm as well.  He's definitely someone who should be owned.

4 hours ago, High&Inside said:

Think you're missing the point. I'm saying sure he'll begin in the rotation, but I doubt he finishes the year there. He's never thrown more than 111 innings, and that was 2 years ago. 

If you think STL is just gonna let him pitch like he never had TJ or such a light innings load you're confused.

Great talent. Super excited for his return. But there's going to be a hard limit on what he's allowed to do. 

They could just skip some starts here and there if they want to keep him in the rotation.

I’m sure once Wainwright is healthy Mike Matheny will look at how many stripes that vet has earned and get all hot and bothered and keep him in rotation.  

Wacha 

Mikolas 

CarMar

Weaver 

Flaherty/Wainwrong/Reyes for last spot.  These things often have ways of working themselves out (See Buehler).  Should he interesting to see how it shakes out!