robbybobby005

Alex Reyes 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-28. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Hopefully Reyes can wiggle his way in the rotation. Seems to have to have the highest upside of any of the cards staff but time will tell if he can stay healthy.

Edited by Big League Choo

28 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

I’m sure once Wainwright is healthy Mike Matheny will look at how many stripes that vet has earned and get all hot and bothered and keep him in rotation.  

Wacha 

Mikolas 

CarMar

Weaver 

Flaherty/Wainwrong/Reyes for last spot.  These things often have ways of working themselves out (See Buehler).  Should he interesting to see how it shakes out!

Weaver better start pitching well or he will lose his spot.

1 hour ago, Big League Choo said:

Hopefully Reyes can wiggle his way in the rotation. Seems to have to have the highest upside of any of the cards staff but time will tell if he can stay healthy.

He won’t be wiggling his way into anything. He’s knocking down the door. As long as rehab continues going well, he’s in the rotation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

I’m sure once Wainwright is healthy Mike Matheny will look at how many stripes that vet has earned and get all hot and bothered and keep him in rotation.  

Wacha 

Mikolas 

CarMar

Weaver 

Flaherty/Wainwrong/Reyes for last spot.  These things often have ways of working themselves out (See Buehler).  Should he interesting to see how it shakes out!

I think Flaherty > Weaver

• Like 1

It wouldn’t surprise me to see Reyes begin in the bullpen and work his way forward with spot starts.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned - but if you're Matheny, and:

• You basically have 7 starting pitchers (CMart/Waino/Wacha/Mikolas/Weaver/Flaherty/Reyes); and
  • You don't want to put any of them in the bullpen, even the declining vet you're loyal to (for better or for worse); and
  • You have at least one (Reyes) and as many as three (plus Weaver/Flaherty) impact arms; and
  • You want to limit the best one's workload this year but he's clearly ready to be a gd filthy starter...

...then (fantasy gods spare my life) why not do a six man and squeeze the worse of Flaherty/Weaver to the pen? Is there a roster issue here? Has the front office already ruled that out?

• Like 1

Only time will tell, continue to stash & hopefully our callings will be received.

56 minutes ago, matdotmarshall said:

• You basically have 7 starting pitchers (CMart/Waino/Wacha/Mikolas/Weaver/Flaherty/Reyes); and
  • You don't want to put any of them in the bullpen, even the declining vet you're loyal to (for better or for worse); and
  • You have at least one (Reyes) and as many as three (plus Weaver/Flaherty) impact arms; and
  • You want to limit the best one's workload this year but he's clearly ready to be a gd filthy starter...

...then (fantasy gods spare my life) why not do a six man and squeeze the worse of Flaherty/Weaver to the pen? Is there a roster issue here? Has the front office already ruled that out?

Actually, a 6 man SP rotation in STL makes a lot of sense! Smart!

1 hour ago, matdotmarshall said:

I'm looking for the link but I remember earlier in the season someone asking Matheney about a 6 man rotation and he answered that if he could, he would go with 4 SP.

He was not very convincing... but things could change rapidly !

Edited by Pa.style

2 hours ago, BCMarch10 said:

It wouldn’t surprise me to see Reyes begin in the bullpen and work his way forward with spot starts.

Edited by lbjames6
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Found this on the interweb:

Said Mozeliak, as he looked on from a seat in the grandstand behind home plate: "What we're looking for in a rehab start is exactly what we saw tonight from Alex Reyes -- command of the strike zone.

"He had a handful of sequences tonight that were pretty exciting. He's been brought back in this rehab as a starter.

"When he gets to St. Louis, we'll want a guy who can eat innings. I would suppose that will be as a starter."

Post-Dispatch baseball writer Derrick Goold reported that the Cardinals are having Reyes build pitch count on his path through the team’s affiliates so that when he’s eligible to come off the disabled list, on May 28, he will be available as a starter. The team intends to use him as needed at the time, but the goal will be to have Reyes get enough innings this season to be ready to be a member of the rotation in 2019. He’ll return to St. Louis this week to work with the training staff at Busch Stadium and then continue his climb to the majors with scheduled starts at Class AAA Memphis and Class AA Springfield.

Great news! I'm looking forward to a healthy Reyes coming off the DL soon. I traded for him last off season and I expect his high upside will have been well worth the wait.  

57 minutes ago, chrisrfu said:

With Waino transferred to the 60-day DL and CMart to undergo another MRI examination, Reyes could potentially see time immediately when he's ready. 
Source: https://www.mlb.com/news/carson-kelly-on-dl-wainwright-goes-to-60-day/c-277132112

Cannot wait. Fo' reals.

I am sure this was probably already discussed,  but assuming he will be on some kind of innings limit for this season?  Assuming he is inserted as a starter some time in June, will he be able to stay there all season or will he get moved to bullpen later this year?

3 minutes ago, herschel said:

I am sure this was probably already discussed,  but assuming he will be on some kind of innings limit for this season?  Assuming he is inserted as a starter some time in June, will he be able to stay there all season or will he get moved to bullpen later this year?

The cardinals stated they wanted him to be limited to around 100 innings. So if he comes back right away as a starter that means only 3 months of starts and then to the bullpen in September. But nothing is set in stone.

28 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

The cardinals stated they wanted him to be limited to around 100 innings. So if he comes back right away as a starter that means only 3 months of starts and then to the bullpen in September. But nothing is set in stone.

Man that would suck for H2H leagues because fantasy default playoff weeks are in September. I guess if this is the case it will be a very good idea for us owners to sell him high early if he has some great starts. 

32 minutes ago, richg24 said:

Man that would suck for H2H leagues because fantasy default playoff weeks are in September. I guess if this is the case it will be a very good idea for us owners to sell him high early if he has some great starts. 

If you can, that would be ideal. But any decent owner is gonna know that he will be on a limit and probably won't give a whole lot back since he won't be starting when it matters.

32 minutes ago, richg24 said:

That sentiment is really quite overrated. You still need useful guys in the regular season that are gonna put up good stats to get you into the playoffs. Unless you can land something that will actually help you in the playoffs it does not really matter. Plus in late september you are most likely going to be streaming more pitchers because it becomes a crap shoot trying to figure out when managers are planning to rest their starters or bump their start day.

• Like 2

77 pitches,  54 strikes,  through 7 innings at AA so far tonight.  Oh 12 Ks to 2 BBs. NBD

• Like 1