robbybobby005

Alex Reyes 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-28. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Sell now, if people think he is the next Jose Fernandez...

1 minute ago, 2ndCitySox said:

He's going to be what he should have been.

Last night was the most dominant performance I've seen in person. Something about watching him buckle batters with that curveball just warmed my soul.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Even if you're a sell high kinda guy,  i think you'd want at least one mlb start to max his value

• Like 3

On 5/25/2018 at 1:32 AM, 2ndCitySox said:

Have you seen this kid pitch? I wouldnt be surprised AT ALL if he winds up BETTER than Jose

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Have you seen this kid pitch? I wouldnt be surprised AT ALL if he winds up BETTER than Jose

Jose was a top 5 pitcher 

Dont get me wrong, I am looking to buy in a short term keeper league, but J-Fer was phenomenal. Could Reyes be that good? Sure. But it could take a while, and that is really the best (and thus unlikely) outcome.

36 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

As a Cardinal fan, yes. But, we need to chill a little bit on the JoFer comps. He was doing this vs MLB teams. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Why do you care so much that other people think he is a jose fernandez like talent? If you are secure in your opinion of what he is, then don't worry about other people's opinions.

Really wanting to trade for him but not sure what price range. Going to have to overpay. 50-75 value enough? Too much?

17 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Why do you care so much that other people think he is a jose fernandez like talent? If you are secure in your opinion of what he is, then don't worry about other people's opinions.

? Sorry I thought a big part of this forum was challenging bold claims. 

4 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

? Sorry I thought a big part of this forum was challenging bold claims. 

I'm asking why you care if other people claim he is a jose fernandez like talent?

Alex reyes has all the talent to be just as good, if not better.

Edited by Picard56

11 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

I'm asking why you care if other people claim he is a jose fernandez like talent?

Alex reyes has all the talent to be just as good, if not better.

My point is that people are valuing him that highly. Reaching that goal is best case. I am not saying there is no way, but if you can get a haul for him, do it.

• Like 1

There are so few true "aces" in the league that the chance to hold a lotto ticket with not completely impossible odds to achieve that is just too intoxicating for me to move him for anything realistically obtainable. 

Functionally, no one would be buying at the prices I'd be selling for. 

In terms of positional scarcity, in my league, a reliable, consistent SP with nightly potential dominance is the proverbial unicorn.

Im all in. 

• Like 1

this was in my players notes from my yahoo league...

"Cardinals president of baseball operations John Mozeliak said Thursday that he didn't think there would be any restrictions on how many innings Alex Reyes (elbow) will be allowed to throw the rest of the season."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Reggie Bar said:

this was in my players notes from my yahoo league...

"Cardinals president of baseball operations John Mozeliak said Thursday that he didn't think there would be any restrictions on how many innings Alex Reyes (elbow) will be allowed to throw the rest of the season."

Maybe a pitch count then? Maybe not. 

So if he is slated to potentially make his first start against MIL, would we be looking at the Wednesday start?  theScore currently has that listed as Gant’s start, and I assume that is who is getting bumped for now?

49 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

So if he is slated to potentially make his first start against MIL, would we be looking at the Wednesday start?  theScore currently has that listed as Gant’s start, and I assume that is who is getting bumped for now?

Tuesday. 

Wednesday is still listed as undecided.  Wacha is still scheduled for Tuesday.  

When Martinez gets back it might not be a bad idea to just go 6 man for a while with all these young talented arms.

Edited by STLSU
  • Like 1

have a gut feeling he will dominate from the outset and be a top 5 SP this season...i'm not joking

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, richg24 said:

have a gut feeling he will dominate from the outset and be a top 5 SP this season...i'm not joking

yBwYzSs.gif

I-am-serious.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Members_Only_76 said:

yBwYzSs.gif

I-am-serious.gif

"and don't call me Shirley."

• Haha 4

Confirming above. I'd say a trade is coming of a SP for 3B or another loud bat.  If not then someone's (probably Wacha's) starting days are numbered.  Also I don't see Mo/Matheny wanting a 6 man.  He probably would do 4 man plus a swing guy before that, going by earlier comments this year.

http://www.espn.com/fantasy/baseball/story/_/id/23602914/fantasy-baseball-forecaster-week-9-28-june-3-rankings-projections-two-start-pitchers

Alex Reyes is set to rejoin the St. Louis Cardinals' rotation early in Week 9. The team has already declared that he will start once activated from the disabled list, and a Tuesday assignment seems the likeliest scenario, with Michael Wacha moving back by one day to fill John Gant's (formerly Carlos Martinez's) spot. Reyes' minor league performance and pitch counts suggest an ability to make an instant impact in fantasy, and the prospect of two starts makes him even more appealing in weekly formats. 

Edited by STLSU
  • Like 1