Sign in to follow this  
adifazio27

"Two Win" Leagues

4 hours ago, joshua18 said:

No. The geography of that argument is indisputable. 

Trolling and belittling leagues with with different rules than you are used to is the height of ignorance...which you've displayed in abundance in this thread.

I don't think trolling leagues that sounds stupid is the "height" or definition of ignorance.

I think it's the definition of...

Wait for it... 

Trolling 

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares

2 hours ago, ajs723 said:

I second this. You should probably just do an All Play league. Head-to-head matchups are an antiquated notion of fantasy, in my opinion. The goal should be to score more points than all of the other teams each week, not one randomly selected "opponent". 

Unless you're in a league of friends. 

If you play in anonymity online, I guess maybe. 

It's probably not fair the Dolphins aren't even close to the same geographic region as the Patriots, but have to get their butts kicked by them 2x a year for 15 years. 

The Dolphins handle their business against the Patriots.

My league isn't exactly like what you describe, but we:

A) Play on MFL, which seems to have tons of options, so I'm sure this would probably be one;

B ) Play two games per week.  It's simply a double schedule, where you can go 2-0, 1-1 or 0-2 each week.  Does it guarantee that if you have the third most points, you won't still run up against #1 and #2 that week?  No.  But it mitigates the odds quite a bit.  We've played this way for ten years now and have been happy with it.

I can’t imagine dealing with ESPN on a yearly basis with this kind of setup.   They have such limited LM abilities, and the standings online would never reflect the actual standings.  The commish is going to have a lot of extra work.   

Starting fresh with new rules-  always use a platform that supports it.    

I've never played this but have heard of it. I think it's a fantastic setup and wish my league was structured that way. One of the biggest elements of luck in fantasy football has to do with your schedule. E.g. who you play what weeks, and if you happen to play teams when they blow up or don't. I think every year there's one team in the league that scores a bunch of points but ends but with a  bunch of Ls because of terrible luck in matchups. And vice versa. There was definitely one team in my league last year that was one of the lowest in points scored but somehow won games. Seems like the 2 win system eliminates a lot of this and rewards the teams that actually score the most points(the object of fantasy football)

1 minute ago, GhostOfCap said:

The baseball team I coach went 8-8 last season but we still had a team party after the year with wings and cookies and cake.

Atta guy.

On 2/17/2018 at 7:54 PM, Packdog said:

if you want to stick to espn just keep a post on the league message board that tabulates the pt winner's each week. not a whole lot of work. at end of year just add the pt wins and losses to the final regular season standings and have the lm adjust the playoff teams as needed. only setting required would the league is set up in league manager mode

So for ESPN you can adjust the season and playoff standings before the playoffs start?

On 2/16/2018 at 8:02 PM, adifazio27 said:

I'm unsure if this is the correct forum in this, but none of the others seemed correct.

I had a quick question regarding league structure, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with a league like this. My league for next season wants to go to a "two win" system, where you have the ability for two wins in a week (one win for winning head to head, one win for finishing in the top half of total scoring). Has anyone played in these leagues before? What are good platforms or ways to implement this? My league currently plays on ESPN, and unless I'm missing something, I haven't noticed a way to create this setting.

Any help would be appreciated!

If that's the case then they need to also give an extra loss for finishing in the bottom half

I think a better way to handle the “bad luck” aspect of losing several high-scoring matchups is to award the final playoff spot to the remaining team with the most season-long points.

This way, head-to-head matchups still matter, and those 0.6 point wins still matter, but if you have a great team that’s repeatedly losing to the weekly leader in scoring you still have a chance to make the playoffs.

I play in a 12 team league. We have 3 divisions of 4. One week a year, usually week 11, we play two games. That allows us to play everyone in our division twice and those outside the division once.

2 hours ago, pbjfb said:

If that's the case then they need to also give an extra loss for finishing in the bottom half

For he structure that the OP suggested, they do.

As for the structure itself, once your league goes this route, you’ll never want to go back. I find some of the earlier comments like “bitter owners that can’t take a loss” both hilarious and ignorant. More so ignorant. It’s sort of like saying people play ROTO leagues in baseball and basketball b/c they “can’t handle losses”. Why do people play ROTO leagues in fantasy sports? Why do people do auctions in fantasy sports? It’s to eliminate the randomness we get in fantasy sports, ie H2H matchups and draft slots in snake drafts. I won’t go into more detail on this, I’m sure everyone knows what I’m referring to. 

The 2 win format (2-0, 1-1, 0-2 possible outcomes) absolutely eliminate the randomness that comes in H2H matchups. What it also does is it still allows you to get the fun out of H2H but at the same time rewards (or punishes) teams based on points. 

For reference, this format came about as a result of us getting together one evening and trash talking about previous championships and the “luck” factor. After having gone back and reviewing 12 years of our leagues seasonal data to see what type of difference this format would have made, the results were, let’s just say, staggering but also expected. Don’t have the exact number but I believe 5 out of the 12 years we would have had a different 1st place regular season finisher. 8 out of the 12 years we would have had a different team (or 2) make the playoffs and another 1 or 2 miss it. The final regular season standings would have been different by sometimes  2 or 3 spots. But here’s the part that made it interesting. After reviewing what the standings would have been, comparing it to what actually happened, and then simply “eyeballing” every team, there was no doubt we needed to implement this system. It made total sense. This definitely would have eliminated the randomness and as someone said earlier, the cream rising to the top.

In terms of sites, Fleaflicker is supposed to implement this next year. But currently you can just manually enter an extra win or loss to each team. Weekly point standings are listed on the side so it’s an easy visual 1-6 scores. However, Sleeper does indeed support this type of format and it’s also a great platform overall with customizable settings. 

Hope this helps. 

We play two opponents each week in a twelve team league to remedy  this problem of having played the highest scoring team each week.  I think Myfantasyleague allows up to playing three teams a week.

I had a quick question regarding league structure, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with a league like this. My league for next season wants to go to a "two win" system, where you have the ability for two wins in a week (one win for winning head to head, one win for finishing in the top half of total scoring). Has anyone played in these leagues before? What are good platforms or ways to implement this? My league currently plays on ESPN, and unless I'm missing something, I haven't noticed a way to create this setting.

I don't have any experience with this system, but in my league we pay a 20 dollar bonus to the team that scores the most points that week. All the way through the playoffs. It helps to keep everyone active even if they missed the playoffs. 

Posted (edited)

A huge huge aspect of the luck factor in fantasy is who you happen to play what weeks. In real football(or any sport) you actually have control over what your opponent does but in fantasy their point output is completely independent from yours. It goes both ways, I've lost weeks my team did great but I've also won weeks I shouldn't have. I'd still prefer removing this randomness and having Ws and Ls line up more with the teams points scored. We got rid of kickers this year so my league does try to be progressive and make improvements so maybe someday...

Edited by owenmills

As some have stated, the two match-ups per week eliminates a lot of the luck and randomness that you'll find in your normal run of the mill league. Too many times, I've been in the top 3 in scoring for the week only to be facing the top scoring team for the week. With a two match-up per week system, in most cases, owners will at least get a split. We currently use it on the CBS platform but it is also available on MFL.

Another option that could be added to reward the highest scoring teams in your leagues is to reserve the last playoff spot for highest scoring non playoff team. For example, if 6 teams makes the playoffs, the 6th spot would not be reserved for the team with the 6th best record. Instead, it'll be reserved for the highest scoring team of the seven remaining bubble teams. In some cases this team may actually be better equipped to win in the playoffs then other higher seated teams. It's just that they ran into bad match-ups during the season. 

36 minutes ago, owenmills said:

We got rid of kickers this year so my league does try to be progressive and make improvements so maybe someday...

Yes, say no to kickers!!

• Like 1

I'm usually open minded but i can't believe this is a thing.   Where's the fun in trash talking a guy and focusing only on a few players?   Its way more fun to compile the highs and lows of schedule luck over the course of many seasons than it is to be "fair". 

The way to pan out this bad luck thing is to, first, be objective, and don't be that guy who every year claims he had bad luck when its often not the case.   Second, play a lot.   Do multiple leagues.   Any one given situation where luck fails you doesn't sting as much if you have other chances.     Also, if you play a lot, and you never get over the hump, its not the gods, its you.   

4 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

This like a millennial thing?

Lol, I hate to even go there because i hate when old guys overuse the "millenials are killing ______" thing, but I can't lie, that popped into my head too

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I'm usually open minded but i can't believe this is a thing.   Where's the fun in trash talking a guy and focusing only on a few players?   Its way more fun to compile the highs and lows of schedule luck over the course of many seasons than it is to be "fair". 

The way to pan out this bad luck thing is to, first, be objective, and don't be that guy who every year claims he had bad luck when its often not the case.   Second, play a lot.   Do multiple leagues.   Any one given situation where luck fails you doesn't sting as much if you have other chances.     Also, if you play a lot, and you never get over the hump, its not the gods, its you.   

A lot of people play in big money leagues. Why would I want to “invest” in something where luck and randomness is a large factor? 2 win matchups still allows you to trash talk but also filters out the randomness. 

Edited by Sonny_D
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

A lot of people play in big money leagues. Why would I want to “invest” in something where luck and randomness is a large factor? 2 win matchups still allows you to trash talk but also filters out the randomness. 

Try the stock market. Maybe FF isnt for you if you are thinking of it as an investment.

On 2/16/2018 at 5:02 PM, adifazio27 said:

I'm unsure if this is the correct forum in this, but none of the others seemed correct.

Any help would be appreciated!

I think this is the best solution.  I play in some baseball leagues where you play two opponents each week, you could still get screwed by having the third highest score but facing the #1 and #2 scoring teams, but typically you get the record you deserve.  I would rather the top half of the league in weekly points get a win and the single head to head match, like your league is suggesting.

Just now, dmb3684 said:

Try the stock market. Maybe FF isnt for you if you are thinking of it as an investment.

Appreciate the financial advice. That, coupled with a real estate portfolio, has afforded me the opportunity to play in a big money league. Regardless of what it is, if I put in money to win money, I view it as in investment. I try to mitigate my risk as much as possible. But hey, that’s just me.