XxxOilOverloadxxX

Josh Donaldson 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-05. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

I haven't seen him throw the ball, but with a HR and a 2B, I don't care if he throws it on a dribbler every time to 1B...STUD!!!

1 hour ago, summersoff7 said:

what a return!  I needed you so bad baby!

Next up: JD's DL stint for inertia. 

• Like 1

So are we out of the woods as far as the end of the perpetual drama and just play some ball? I haven't heard much positive or negative about his arm so far, No news good news?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, aidanty23 said:

What’s up with this guy right now? Seems to be a good buy low candidate. 

Just slow start to the year. Last year he started slow due to injuries and then went into beast mode the final two months. Definitely a buy low candidate 

Don't forget that he's just coming back off the DL. Might take him a week or two to get into the swing of things. 

13 hits, 25 Ks, 2 HRs over the last month. this dude is a bust. #662 player overall over the past month, #568 for the season.

Just now, SuperJoint said:

13 hits, 25 Ks, 2 HRs over the last month. this dude is a bust. #662 player overall over the past month, #568 for the season.

Did you copy and paste this from last year?

We all know how that turned out. Sometimes you have to have real patience.  

Like, after the ASB patience. 

1 minute ago, SuperJoint said:

This is what people were saying last year shortly after coming back from injury.  Then....well.....you know - Josh be Josh.

Just now, Gandalfthecat said:

Did you copy and paste this from last year?

We all know how that turned out. Sometimes you have to have real patience.  

Like, after the ASB patience. 

OK so bench until July - probably wouldn't have drafted

2 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

OK so bench until July - probably wouldn't have drafted

Bench until July?  I would give him another week and then expect to reap the benefits.  

The only thing that has me a little worried is this shoulder thing. If his problems aren't related to that, I'm sure he'll be fine. If they are, it could be a long season for his owners.

So I am not the best at analyzing stats. Here are some quick observations. 

Soft hit% is highest it's been his whole career at 22% 

Since 2015 his soft hit% has gone 14.4%, 16.4%, 17.3% to 22.4%

Hard hit% last 3 years has gone 40.4%, 36.3% to now 35.5%

Last year Donaldson was still super fantasy relevant as he had a career-high fly ball rate at 42.3%. This year he has a career low 35.5% fly ball rate. 

Could be an injury-plagued season, but last 3 years showing he is going down his career, unfortunately. Maybe he changes mechanics in the future to resurrect his career. 

His BABIP is a career low at .268 so he could be experiencing some bad luck and just needs to find the head of the ball to hit. 

Last 3 years he had a pull% of at least 40% usually in mid 40's. Now it's at 38.2%

Overall, it seems he needs to pull the ball more. get back to hitting flyballs and he should have a similar type of production to last year where he sold out for power. If anyone else is better with advanced stats, could you add some more analysis. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2018 at 2:58 PM, mehtavg2000 said:

Maybe this ride is over after all.

The quote the great, late prophet Dennis Green, "He is who Oakland thought he was!"  

One of the biggest busts so far? Ugh we overpaid hard for him

1 hour ago, PPolanco said:

One of the biggest busts so far? Ugh we overpaid hard for him

I wouldn't write him off quite yet, but there are some signs that he is on the decline. Last year he wasn't that good in the first half and then really took off in the second half. He's had a fairly good week this week, hitting a few doubles. It's not a whole lot, but its signs of life.

Donaldson was removed from the game today when he limped into 3B.  Manager and trainer came out and Donaldson went off immediately with a slight limp to his walk.  Any Toronto fans know anything?  Another hamstring thing maybe?

It looked like he was running with clenched butt cheeks, hopefully he just had diarrhea and nothing else. 

• Haha 2

Yeah right...he is dL bound for sure in today’s game

8 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

It looked like he was running with clenched butt cheeks, hopefully he just had diarrhea and nothing else. 

????

• Haha 1