jwblue

Sonny Gray 2018 Outlook

10 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Feel a phantom DL stint coming.  He looks terrible 

I don't see that but they should skip his next turn.

Just now, MrBrown said:

I don't see that but they should skip his next turn.

True...tho this day they’re basically the same thing 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Feel a phantom DL stint coming.  He looks terrible 

maybe he should pitch to phantom batters instead of real ones. 

• Haha 2

Anyone have any good insight as to his struggles thus far? He was just dropped in one of my 12 teamers and I’m considering using the #1 waiver on him (starting pitching is my only weak spot). I haven’t seen any of his games this year but his velocity looks fine. His ground ball rate is up and his fly ball rate is down from last year. His BABIP is way up though his hard contact rate is actually down a little. Is he getting unlucky in the BABIP department? He also made some changes to his pitch types throwing a lot more curves and cutters.

Benched him today and I'm glad I did. He's been a tire fire since jump street. Woof. 

Drop able? 

Can’t drop yet but damn.... 

Didnt see the 4th inning but he was all over the place through the first 3. Miserable command of the zone through 3. Lots of meatballs and uncompetitive pitches. I’m still holding because I believe he can work through this but he is out of his element at the moment. 

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

Anyone have any good insight as to his struggles thus far? He was just dropped in one of my 12 teamers and I’m considering using the #1 waiver on him (starting pitching is my only weak spot). I haven’t seen any of his games this year but his velocity looks fine. His ground ball rate is up and his fly ball rate is down from last year. His BABIP is way up though his hard contact rate is actually down a little. Is he getting unlucky in the BABIP department? He also made some changes to his pitch types throwing a lot more curves and cutters.

Definitely don't use the #1 waiver spot on him.  I bet a lot of teams will be dropping.

His nickname is "Mr. Nibbles"  He has no cajones and that is why he's walking way too many batters.  He said he was working on this but it definitely didn't show tonight.  Leadoff walk to Russel Martin in one inning.  When he throws strikes they're usually meatballs left over the middle of the plate.  As a result of all this, he's constantly falling behind in counts and hitters are making him pay.

It is believed he's too good to be this bad, but he's not showing anything.

Edited by MrBrown
  • Like 1

I had to drop him, normally I'd wait his struggles out longer, but I needed a drop to activate Realmuto. I wasn't going to drop Merrifield, Olson, Bruan, types over Gray, especially in my 8 team league which has some decent FA SPs luckily. I think he'll pitch better eventually, but also think the grind of AL east teams and parks, and never getting to settle down in more pitcher friendly park like OAK, isn't going to do him any favors. I don't see a bounce back to his previous years in his new situation, but he's gotta pitch a bit better as the year goes on for those that have to count on him. 

10 hours ago, MrBrown said:

Definitely don't use the #1 waiver spot on him.  I bet a lot of teams will be dropping.

His nickname is "Mr. Nibbles"  He has no cajones and that is why he's walking way too many batters.  He said he was working on this but it definitely didn't show tonight.  Leadoff walk to Russel Martin in one inning.  When he throws strikes they're usually meatballs left over the middle of the plate.  As a result of all this, he's constantly falling behind in counts and hitters are making him pay.

It is believed he's too good to be this bad, but he's not showing anything.

Bingo.  One can debate the chicken and the egg with him as to whether he nibbles because his command sucks or whether his command sucks because he is scared and nibbles far too much, but the end result is the same.  My guess is they give him another turn before they play a phantom DL on him.  Chance Adams is not pitching well at AAA (in fact none of their AAA SPs are off to good starts so far...it is early) and German has not been good, so outside of Warren, they do not really have many other options imo.

Not worth burning a high WW pick on imo.

benched yesterday and was SHOCKED to see Chad Bettis on the WW last night.  Exit stage right Sonny....

11 minutes ago, Damn Yankee said:

benched yesterday and was SHOCKED to see Chad Bettis on the WW last night.  Exit stage right Sonny....

A Colorado pitcher with a career ERA over 5???  Good luck to you.  3 of his first 4 starts have been on the road and he has a 15\10 K\BB ratio so far.  Implosion imminent imo.

Edited by secretagentman

11 hours ago, I Miss Matt Cain said:

Yahoo is saying he draws the Twins at home next start (4/25).  I'm tempted to hold onto him until then and see but if something decent hits the waivers he's first to go.

Minnesota has some darn good hitters these days.  And now that the ice and snow are finally going away they will be warmed up enough to be pumped and primed.  I wouldn't want anyone but my best aces facing that team.

Yeah I came here looking for info on Gray.  I inherited him in a roto dynasty team where you can't re-set his stats to zero every week.  And where I have to make an important roster move too bringing back a very necessary player from the DL.  Seems I am not alone thinking Gray is odd man out.  I think his "name" and Oakland "fame" had me blinded a bit until I read all these comments here.  Also I kept thinking of him as being still really really young when he is already 29 so should still not be a work in progress.  I think I froze him in times past never having owned him before.  But reading about "Mr Nibbles" here he sounds like he may never be a decent AL East pitcher.

Thanks for all the insights here.  Now if he turns it around I'll chase you all down and tar and feather you of course but right now all this info is golden to me.

• Like 1

I didnt expect great numbers from him this season, but i thought he'd be able to get through 5 and collect some wins. If he can't do that - he shouldn't be on a major league roster, let alone a fantasy roster.

All this after some mechanical delivery changes.  He may as well star for "Lost in Space" as he has no constant, base or identity anymore.