jwblue

Sonny Gray 2018 Outlook

Time to drop.  Bigtime loser.  Yankees can't upgrade his spot in the rotation soon enough.

I'm as upset about Sonny Gray as anyone...I mean come on, how can you not pitch 5 innings of 3ER ball? I just wanted that W-L total (due to the lineup and bullpen) when I drafted him. Doesn't his career track record warrant him being kept another month? Or do you guys just believe he can't pitch in NY/AL East? I know he hasn't been very good since he was traded to the Yankees, but I just want to believe he can fix this and return to a 3.75ERA, 1.25 WHIP type pitcher.

Oh he's gone.  The free agent pools in my leagues have really been stripped clean of players I'd want to add though.  I'm not going to drop 1 bum for another bum, so I'll need to see who's out there or wait.

I had dropped last week due to a shallow league and a host of better options. He will pitch better as the season goes on and the lineup will earn him some wins he maybe doesn't deserve some games. Last year he had a poor May/Sept but pretty good June/July/August, throughout his career he's better in the middle months. Last season he had the benefit of pitching in OAK which he was more comfortable and better park to pitch than where he's pitched so far, @TOR VS BAL @BOS VS TOR VS MIN. He hasn't had the easiest of lineups/parks to face starting the season. He's certainly not going to be in any CY races ever again, but should settle down and maybe return SP3 value.

Guy is horrible... no way in Yankee Stadium against those line ups he can survive.... absolutely over this dude....

I am so ready to cut bait with his scrub. Is there any reason, barring the draft day cost, as to why he still belongs on a shallow league staff? 

I've watched all his starts. He's not even close to figuring it out. Got lucky with some swings and misses on some hanging sliders today or else his final line would've been much worse. I think the Yankees are going to either have to decide between a phantom DL stint or a bullpen spot. They don't really have any great options to replace him in the rotation right now though (Domingo German would get the first crack, I guess) so he should get at least another 2-3 starts before that's considered... but yeah, not much optimism from me as a Yankees fan.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:35 PM, absknicks said:

I've watched all his starts. He's not even close to figuring it out. Got lucky with some swings and misses on some hanging sliders today or else his final line would've been much worse. I think the Yankees are going to either have to decide between a phantom DL stint or a bullpen spot. They don't really have any great options to replace him in the rotation right now though (Domingo German would get the first crack, I guess) so he should get at least another 2-3 starts before that's considered... but yeah, not much optimism from me as a Yankees fan.

They could trade Gray eventually too. The Yankees in the past haven't been reluctant to quickly ship out the guys that "couldn't handle" or weren't quite a "fit" for NY.

He looked better... still not great, but definitely better. Threw 64 fastballs which was his high for the season. His previous high was 41 or 42, so it's pretty clear they're scrapping the "no fastball" strategy for him. 

Hopefully this game can get him back on track. Figures he waits until one of his toughest matchups to throw his best start since opening day.

Anyone watch his start against the Indigineous Peoples? Did he actualy look... good?

5 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Anyone watch his start against the Indigineous Peoples? Did he actualy look... good?

Throwing a lot more fastballs again and it's seemed to work for him. He hit 95-96 on it a couple of times which is the best velocity I've seen out of him all season. Not a ton of whiffs but he induced a bunch of soft contact.

Have to admit he was such a mess for the first 5 starts  or so that I really thought they were going to have to phantom DL him to sort all his issues out but he's turned it around quick. It seems like with the increased fastball usage has come better fastball command as well and that's kinda changed everything for him.

Edited by absknicks
  • Thanks 2

I’m still holding out some hope he can turn things around. 2 good starts in a row. He’s probably about a 4.00 Era guy but being on the Yankees he could still win 13-15 games this year. 

1 hour ago, Damn Yankee said:

What's the over/under on TJ surgery?

image.jpeg.63146b2a071fa9cdb2a609ef5c80ff0e.jpeg

Meh I don't buy into the inverted W is inherently riskier thing.