CrypTviLL

Aaron Hicks 2018 Outlook

I am opening this thread as I am unfamiliar with him, but others have called him a sleeper.

Any insight for me? Thanks.

Hicks had a great 2017.  His numbers could have been Pham-ish had he not gotten injured.  I like him a lot.  Look out for him if he's given the opportunity to play every day!

I would like him even more if they can somehow get rid of Ellsbury.  Hicks made some improvements last year.  He does have 20-20 upside, imo, especially in that park.

He’s on my list of late round guys to draft. He was on fire durng 60 games in first half last year hitting .290/.398/.515, 10 hr, 40 runs, 37 RBIs, and 7 stolen bases. He also put up really good K/BB numbers by striking out 42 times and walking 37 times. 

Unfortunately after hurting his oblique he wasn’t able to really come back from that. He played just 28 more games after the break. If he’s healthy coming into this season his upside is 20+ hr and around 20 steals. I could see him having 160 runs/rbis as his ceiling. 

8 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

I would like him even more if they can somehow get rid of Ellsbury.  Hicks made some improvements last year.  He does have 20-20 upside, imo, especially in that park.

I wouldn't let Ellsbury be the factor to sway you from targeting Hicks- Ells is very clearly the 5th OF odd man out as it stands and I don't suspect that changes anytime soon- he's cooked imo. Hicks is the starting CF at this point 

• Like 2

Hicks is too good defensively to get benched. Especially with that lineup being so good. Even if he's struggling, I bet he'll still be in there everyday. 

• Like 2

Just following up on this thread.  RW reporting today he will hit 7th?  Is that based on what Boone is saying?  I'm curious because I thought he was going to leadoff which would increase his value substantially.

No reason to demote Gardner from lead-off as of yet

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Just following up on this thread.  RW reporting today he will hit 7th?  Is that based on what Boone is saying?  I'm curious because I thought he was going to leadoff which would increase his value substantially.

Gardner will most likely lead off most of the time

34 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Can Hicks steal 15-20?

Absolutely if he's playing full-time and injury free.  

• Like 2

On 3/6/2018 at 6:58 PM, mevins31 said:

Can Hicks steal 15-20?

There are a lot of things this primo former prospect can do, this is one, if he can just play 145 games or more!

I don't see why not. He's the Yanks best CF by far and one of the best CF defensively in the league. That alone should get him in the lineup nearly everyday. If he hits like last year I think they try their hardest to get him in he lineup everyday 

Steamer has him at .251-58-15-56-10 in 404 at-bats. If he can perform at that pace, but up the at-bats considerably... that's a real nice fantasy player. Also, he got jacked this offseason. Trying out for the Jets apparently. 

cut.jpg

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

Steamer has him at .251-58-15-56-10 in 404 at-bats. If he can perform at that pace, but up the at-bats considerably... that's a real nice fantasy player. Also, he got jacked this offseason. Trying out for the Jets apparently. 

cut.jpg

He'd be a better punt protector than Tim Tebow was thats for sure. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2018 at 7:11 PM, dod959 said:

Hicks is too good defensively to get benched. Especially with that lineup being so good. Even if he's struggling, I bet he'll still be in there everyday. 

Stanton, Judge, Gardner, Hicks, Ellsbury, Frazier - 6 guys for 3 OF spots + DH.

Without an injury, there's no way he plays every day, especially since he sucks hitting left handed.  I love Hicks but the realistic  O/U is like 475 PA's or 120 games.

Edited by cs3

Hicks is by far the best defender out of all them and had an .818 OPS vs RHP.  Frazier will likely be in AAA and Ellsbury lost his starting gig , he's the expensive depth OF now.

Stanton-Hicks-Gardner-Judge are the main 4 OF/DH Rotation.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Hicks is by far the best defender out of all them and had an .818 OPS vs RHP.  Frazier will likely be in AAA and Ellsbury lost his starting gig , he's the expensive depth OF now.

Stanton-Hicks-Gardner-Judge are the main 4 OF/DH Rotation.

I agree, but I'm hedging both Gardner and Hicks because I do think there's going to be internal competition and risk. 

6 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

That was in 235 PA's. Hicks' career OPS vs RHP is .665 - thats below even Gregor Blanco and Jemile Weeks territory.

Even if all that other stuff is true (and I'm not doubting the rest of it), it still does not give Hicks full time at bats.

5 minutes ago, taobball said:

I agree, but I'm hedging both Gardner and Hicks because I do think there's going to be internal competition and risk. 

It is a weird situation. As both Gardner and Ellsbury really have no business starting against LHP anymore at this stage in their careers. So Hicks original role at the beginning of last year was suppose to be the depth  started against LHP, defensive replacement, day off.

Now he earned his keep and Ellsbury has become redundant(Bad fit to be Gardner's Platoon partner), but unmovable at his contract. So I can see a worry about Ellsubry pushing a bit more vs RHP again if Hicks regresses himself vs his weaker hand. Still think his Defense should keep him out there though.

Once Torres/Andujur are up, I do think Gardner's days vs LHP will be 100% done regardless though. Either by pushing both Stanton/Judge both in OF, or Drury in OF

Hicks career numbers are irrelevant.  If you're drafting based on career numbers then you won't consider him at all.  He didn't "breakout" until 2017.  Always had a lot of untapped potential.  And that's what you're drafting him for the potential upside of a true breakout season, building off what we saw from him  in 2017 before his injury.    If you think he is terrible against RHP you're not paying attention to last season, you'rre looking too much into past numbers before he broke out.

He is the everyday CF, no one will take time away from him and I think he'll leadoff vs LHP.

• Like 1

Thanks to the pinstripes on the jersey, homers in my leagues are reaching WAY to far for Hicks, I am not a player at the moving ADP.

Good pick at 250 but dag gone, him going around 200, no way in heck