dsd10988

Chris Paddack - SP SD

I don't see a thread on him, he may be forgotten in the deep San Diego system. If he is healthy and can pick up where he left off, he can move through the minors quickly.  2016 pitching stats in A ball before TJ surgery were:

9 starts 42 1/3 IP 20 hits 5 bb 71 ks 0.95 era 0.59 whip 

He just turned 22 years old, what are you expecting from him this season?

Recent article on him:

https://friarsonbase.com/2018/02/16/san-diego-padres-prospect-chris-paddack/

"After missing all of 2017, Paddack is expected to begin the 2018 season in minor league training camp this month. Hopefully, he will be worked back in very slowly. The amount of pitching depth affords the Padres this luxury.

His fastball is a potential plus-pitch that sits at 91-92 mph. It does have good movement, a slight cut-action which he uses on both sides of the plate. His best pitch is his changeup. A potential plus-plus pitch, Fangraphs grades the off-speed offering at a 65.

It’s the curveball that gives Paddack the most trouble. Nowhere near major league ready, this could be the deciding factor as to whether he’s a bullpen piece or a member of the starting rotation. He will need that third pitch to reach his projected ceiling, a back-end of the rotation starter."

• Like 1

There was a thread on him somewhere, and he may have gotten lost with the tj surgery.  Good bump, as there was decent hype on him before injury.

It was my thread! I was all over this guy before TJ! Certainly a name to monitor. Sadly he's owned in my deep dynasty league. I'd say if your league owns over 300 he should definitely be owned. Probably over 200 as well. 

8 minutes ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

If he can become a great closer would be great

??

• Haha 1

One of my favorite under the radar pitchers. Finally made it back to the mound after a year+ recovery from TJ surgery. Went straight to Cal League and looked good through 6 with no runs, 3 hits and 7 Ks. Had crazy numbers in A ball before getting injured. Will be a household name soon.  

• Like 1

Picked up right where he left off. This guys numbers are video game like. Super excited to see what develops here. 

I agree. I didn;t hold on through surgery, and someone else scooped.  Somewhat regret it. High upside guy that's underrated IMO. 

• Like 1

Needs to stay healthy, but his numbers are off the charts.  K/BB rate now in almost 100 IPs is nuts.  Will rocket up lists, again if he can stay healthy.

This was my question to Josh Norris on BA prospect chat last week:

• accudart (Vermont): Toussaint, De La Cruz and Paddack all #1 or #2 SP ceiling? Thanks

Josh Norris: As an Oregonian, I'm going to rain on this parade and say none of those guys has that ceiling.

I've been a fan of Paddack and owned him before he went down to TJ. He's out there again in my league and I have a draft this week. I was thinking of taking both him and Toussaint but this is souring me somewhat....thoughts?

I don't know much on Norris, but obviously that's his take right now, and likely without having seen him in person in the first few starts since his return.  From my perspective, Paddack does have front-end starter stuff if what the above person that was actually watching him said about the development of the third pitch.  The question remains will he be durable enough to pile up innings?  I think you draft the talent and go from there.  Part of my prospect strategy is to let hype build among the prospect analysts, which is what should happen for Paddack if this continues, and if competing for a championship the hope is to then potentially use him as a trade chip for a more established player to win.  That's usually my strategy.  I'm less concerned about 3 to 5 years from now, and what Paddack may be, if I have a chance to win now.  

this guy is already moving passed Quantrill

Gore-Morejon-Baez-Paddack at this point, with argument hes passing Baez too

I have Gore-Morejon-Baez-Quantrill and Espinosa already. I had Lucchesi and Tyson Ross briefly after our sup draft in NL Scoresheet league. In a rebuild so those I traded right off. I guess I need to add Paddack. With the Padras deep system it's getting to the point where if you can't figure out who to draft...grab a Padras player.

I'm also looking at Ruiz, Rosario and Reyes.

I'm a Red Sox fan but I have a ton of minor league Braves plus Soroka and Acuna. I was in a Marshals last week and found a Braves hat for $4-. Figure they can be my NL team...but hell if I could only find a $4- Padras cap I'd root for both:)

8 hours ago, accudart said:

This was my question to Josh Norris on BA prospect chat last week:

• accudart (Vermont): Toussaint, De La Cruz and Paddack all #1 or #2 SP ceiling? Thanks

Josh Norris: As an Oregonian, I'm going to rain on this parade and say none of those guys has that ceiling.

I've been a fan of Paddack and owned him before he went down to TJ. He's out there again in my league and I have a draft this week. I was thinking of taking both him and Toussaint but this is souring me somewhat....thoughts?

Yeah but Klaw says:

Andrew: Nice game from Morejon last night. Who has the highest ceiling out of these three? Morejon, Paddack, Quantrill  

Keith Law: Morejon, but I think all three are at least mid-rotation starters if healthy (always an if … that’s two TJs and Morejon has had arm issues too).

Depends on what you mean by "at least mid-rotation starters."

10 hours ago, accudart said:

I have Gore-Morejon-Baez-Quantrill and Espinosa already. I had Lucchesi and Tyson Ross briefly after our sup draft in NL Scoresheet league. In a rebuild so those I traded right off. I guess I need to add Paddack. With the Padras deep system it's getting to the point where if you can't figure out who to draft...grab a Padras player.

I'm also looking at Ruiz, Rosario and Reyes.

I'm a Red Sox fan but I have a ton of minor league Braves plus Soroka and Acuna. I was in a Marshals last week and found a Braves hat for $4-. Figure they can be my NL team...but hell if I could only find a $4- Padras cap I'd root for both:)

Reyes up now too

Ornelas and Reed are another couple deeper fliers

He's a bad bad man. I'll say it once again. He'll be a household name very soon. Health is the only concern. I haven't seen results like this even from Strasburg. And he was older. Best pitcher in the Padres system IMO. 

• Like 1

Even threw his curveball more tonight, which is something he's gonna have to keep on doing, and his curveball is looking better and better. But his double plus changeup gets EVERY BATTER HE FACES. And when he throws his fastball, they are so traumatized by his changeup, they have no idea what's coming since his arm action, release point and trajectory are identical, just one of them picks up speed as it crosses the plate and the other just completely drops as the batter swings.

If Paddack can continue improving his curveball...kid is gonna be special. I would love to see him add his cutter to his rep. I remember hearing that he had a nice cutter he would experiment with in high school. And I believe he scrapped after going pro but if he could add that it would just give him another pitch that would make his elite fastball/changeup even better. But his improvements to his curveball just might be the ticket.

He's going to be promoted pretty shortly. He's obviously way too good for HIA and when a pitching prospect is eating the CAL league alive, they must be given tougher comp. It can end up being counterproductive for his development.

Edited by JakeSarna
  • Like 7