dsd10988

Chris Paddack - SP SD

3 hours ago, JakeSarna said:

Even threw his curveball more tonight, which is something he's gonna have to keep on doing, and his curveball is looking better and better. But his double plus changeup gets EVERY BATTER HE FACES. And when he throws his fastball, they are so traumatized by his changeup, they have no idea what's coming since his arm action, release point and trajectory are identical, just one of them picks up speed as it crosses the plate and the other just completely drops as the batter swings.

If Paddack can continue improving his curveball...kid is gonna be special. I would love to see him add his cutter to his rep. I remember hearing that he had a nice cutter he would experiment with in high school. And I believe he scrapped after going pro but if he could add that it would just give him another pitch that would make his elite fastball/changeup even better. But his improvements to his curveball just might be the ticket.

He's going to be promoted pretty shortly. He's obviously way too good for HIA and when a pitching prospect is eating the CAL league alive, they must be given tougher comp. It can end up being counterproductive for his development.

yah I am starting to think his changeup must be in the Trevor Hoffman realm or something.  Its unreal

• Like 3

His overall career minor league numbers:

24 games, 109.1 IP, 146Ks, 14BB, 1.23 ERA, 0.74 WHIP, 4 HR allowed

That's just silly.

• Like 2

Been just patiently sitting on my dynasty bench the last couple of years. So glad he's healthy and right back to what he was doing before.

He's human.  Got hit tonight.  5IP, 6hits, 3ER, 0BB, 7Ks. 58 of 78 pitches for strikes.  All in all, he's been pitching great.

its only the 2nd start EVER that hes given up 3 ER, and never given up more

-Would be nice to see him promoted to AA already.

-From Carson's Fringe Five today:

An actual, real talent evaluator recently suggested to me that Paddack is possibly among the top two or three right-handed pitchers in the minors

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-fringe-five-baseballs-most-compelling-fringe-prospects-109/

• Like 1

he just doesn't belong in HiA at all. he's striking out over 50% and walking under 2% of the batters he's facing...and this is being done in the CAL league. he doesn't belong here!

• Like 1

On 5/19/2018 at 2:51 AM, Golden Spikes said:

yah I am starting to think his changeup must be in the Trevor Hoffman realm or something.  Its unreal

wow, yes, didn't even think about that. I remember meeting Hoffman in 1993 at my summer baseball camp when I was 13. he had just been traded from the marlins to the padres (Mariano Rivera also came in for a day but at that time he was unknown and being developed as a starter in the minors so no one was really intrigued by Rivera). Anyways, Hoffman was teaching all of us his grips for his 2 seam, cutter and changeup. and his changeup was ridiculous. it would just come in exactly like his sinker but then it would just drop, I had never seen anything like it before. he's the reason why I kept developing my changeup when I was younger. he taught us everything that goes with it. then I saw his changeup evolve as the years went on and I still have never seen one like it again. Hoffman, Pedro Martinez and Tom Glavine had the best changeups I've ever seen.

At the moment right now, if Paddack stays healthy and continues to develop his entire arsenal and get to the bigs, he could very well end up having the best changeup currently in baseball. but first we're gonna see how he does with it against more advanced hitters but its the real f-ing deal. if I had to put a current grade on it, id slap a sexy 70 on it. and before this season pretty much every scout were unanimous in grading his CH out at 65 currently. I hate to put that much on a kid in only HiA. For now lets just pray he stays healthy. the skies the limit for paddack

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

yah I dont think I have ever seen a changeup ranked that high on a young kid

when you look at this profile, look at curveball its currently a 5 with a future 55 grade....uh if he adds that, hes in Greg Maddux potential territory

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa875195&position=P

Edited by Golden Spikes
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

yah I dont think I have ever seen a changeup ranked that high on a young kid

when you look at this profile, look at curveball its currently a 5 with a future 55 grade....uh if he adds that, hes in Greg Maddux potential territory

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa875195&position=P

Since I moved back to Los Angeles, I've been going to a lot of Lake Elsinore games this year.I saw Paddack pitch 2 starts ago and he was throwing his curveball a lot. And it looked really good. I remember watching him with Greensboro 2 years ago and it was a pretty weak offering at that time. And he just dominated inferior hitters with his FB/CH combo the entire time then.

The start I saw Paddack he was super effective with his curve. It has a really nice up & down 12/6 break and batters seem to have a hard time squaring it up (not sure if thats because of the deception he has in his delivery or if they just couldn't hit it). I know that the coaches aren't letting him throw his changeup as much so he could really keep getting those reps in on it and so he could focus on getting that curveball in consistent above average mode.

Along with that, Paddack really uses both sides of the plate very effectively, you can tell he isn't going to be a pitcher that struggles with either righties or lefties. And his changeup is devastating on both righties and lefties.

The area I'm really blown away with is his ability to command all 3 pitches the entire game without ever seeming to struggle. I believe his ability to command all 3 pitches is what's gonna eventually turn him into an elite #2 SP in the majors. I'd love to slap a #1 on him but its way to early and I'm still not sold on him being able to hold up 200+ innings a year. There are very few #1 Dps in baseball. Anyways, Once I see he can stay healthy and maintain his stuff over the long haul, I'll believe he can hit that ceiling of an elite #2 SP.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Has been hittable the past couple outings.  On BA's updated top 100, he was unranked last month and is now 80.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lonny Baxter said:

In 37.1 innings, Paddack has 61 Ks and 2 BBs.

Is that good?

• Like 2

Amazing to see the same type of K numbers after return from TJS.

32 minutes ago, apap414 said:

Amazing to see the same type of K numbers after return from TJS.

More than that, it's amazing to see the BB numbers that I find even more ridiculous coming back from this injury.  

Combine those 2 and it's hard not to be blown away with what this kid is doing.

• Like 2

Cal Quantrill and Logan Allen are ready to move from AA to AAA.  I expect Paddack and Baez to move to AA to take their place.  

15 hours ago, Lonny Baxter said:

In 37.1 innings, Paddack has 61 Ks and 2 BBs.

thats like looking at some of these elite closer ratios and then some

then you think holy crap hes a SP

• Like 1

He moves from unranked before the season to #53 on the FG's mid-season ranking.  One spot ahead of Baez.  Impressive.

3 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

He moves from unranked before the season to #53 on the FG's mid-season ranking.  One spot ahead of Baez.  Impressive.

He's very legit. Best change-up in the minors. 

1 hour ago, BigPapi44 said:

Just keeps dealing, 5IP, 5hits, 1ER, 1BB, 9Ks

A walk? Someone's going to have to sit down with him, review some tape and figure out why the hell this unacceptable result occurred.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3