dsd10988

Chris Paddack - SP SD

There is a report on prospectslive.com discussing that Paddack has the tools to be a future ace. 

I don't know much about him, has he shown ability in the past which could be considered "Ace" like? 

I personally had him ranked below AJ Puk and Dylan Cease but perhaps I need to reconsider before my draft...

The only thing that is holding him back from developing as an Ace is a third pitch.  He's also already had TJ surgery, so that is also something to consider long-term.

2 hours ago, 24/7fantasysports said:

There is a report on prospectslive.com discussing that Paddack has the tools to be a future ace. 

I don't know much about him, has he shown ability in the past which could be considered "Ace" like? 

I personally had him ranked below AJ Puk and Dylan Cease but perhaps I need to reconsider before my draft...

His changeup and his command are both ace level, I think I’ve seen 70s on both on scouting reports. As mentioned by others he just needs to develop a good breaking pitch and stay healthy.

• Like 2

My concerns with Paddack having any near time impact are his workload (only 90 IP last year) and the level of competition to crack the starting rotation. Is there any consensus that amongst even the SD minor league pool he is next in line to get tabbed as a starter?

4 hours ago, Weekday Warrior said:

My concerns with Paddack having any near time impact are his workload (only 90 IP last year) and the level of competition to crack the starting rotation. Is there any consensus that amongst even the SD minor league pool he is next in line to get tabbed as a starter?

Logan Allen should be next followed by Paddack around the All Star break, probably only gets 50 or so innings in the bigs in 2019.

10 hours ago, Weekday Warrior said:

It is a good point.  If he continues to dominate like he did last season, he might force their hand to give him a cup of coffee earlier than expected.  Still, I tend to agree that there will be another year with a cap on his innings, which provided he gets through it okay this year, the gloves come off more in 2020.  A lot will be determined by how well he performs and the Padres need for rotation help as the year goes along, imo.

Caught his 2 IP today versus mostly brewer regulars. Pretty much as advertised.

Impeccable command, threw mostly FBs. CH was not super sharp but was spotting it pretty good--nice tumble action on a few.

Saw 3 CUs-- 1 awful, 1 really loopy with solid 12-6 action, 1 more ok as a get me over...

Pretty impressive overall.

• Thanks 2

Paddack could break camp in rotation

Manager Andy Green said Paddack has a "good chance" to make the rotation, Bill Center of MLB.com reports. "I think he should go to the mound every day expecting to make the rotation and pitching to make the rotation," the manager said. "If he shows himself as a great option for us, I will be excited about that. What day that is, if that's Opening Day, if it's a while into the season, we'll figure that out as camp unfolds."

Probably just manager speak to encourage him, but it's better than if Green said he'll start in AAA for sure.

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Caught his 2 IP today versus mostly brewer regulars. Pretty much as advertised.

Impeccable command, threw mostly FBs. CH was not super sharp but was spotting it pretty good--nice tumble action on a few.

Saw 3 CUs-- 1 awful, 1 really loopy with solid 12-6 action, 1 more ok as a get me over...

Pretty impressive overall.

Looked great today. Giving me some young Aaron Nola vibes. 

and then

All of Paddack's pitches play up because he locates them so well. His 120/8 K/BB ratio and 0.8 walks per nine innings also would have topped the Minors if he had qualified, and his career marks as a pro are 230/20 and 1.0.

Paddack works in the low 90s with his fastball and has a below-average curveball, yet he thrives because he possesses a dastardly changeup that tumbles at the plate after he sells it with near-perfect arm speed. After missing 2017 following Tommy John surgery, he returned last year and posted a 2.10 ERA with a 0.82 WHIP that would have led the Minors if he had enough innings to qualify.

however he was working 93-96 on his fastball today

https://www.mlb.com/news/best-tools-on-2019-top-100-prospects-list/c-303232180

Edited by Golden Spikes

Is he going to be in the opening day rotation? I saw he was listed as the #4, granted it came from mlb.com, so take it with a grain of salt:

https://www.mlb.com/news/projected-2019-lineups-rotations-all-30-teams-c303706990

"PADRES
Lineup:
1) Ian Kinsler, 2B
2) Manny Machado, 3B
3) Eric Hosmer, 1B
4) Wil Myers, LF
5) Franmil Reyes, RF
6) Manuel Margot, CF
7) Luis Urias, SS
😎 Austin Hedges, C

Rotation and closer:
1) Joey Lucchesi, LHP
2) Eric Lauer, LHP
3) Robbie Erlin, LHP
4) Chris Paddack, RHP
5) Matt Strahm, LHP
Closer: Kirby Yates, RHP"

39 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

Is he going to be in the opening day rotation? I saw he was listed as the #4, granted it came from mlb.com, so take it with a grain of salt:

https://www.mlb.com/news/projected-2019-lineups-rotations-all-30-teams-c303706990

Rotation and closer:
1) Joey Lucchesi, LHP
2) Eric Lauer, LHP
3) Robbie Erlin, LHP
4) Chris Paddack, RHP
5) Matt Strahm, LHP
Closer: Kirby Yates, RHP"

I'm not buying into them passing over Logan Allen for him. That would be all lefties though... wild. Allen was impressive last year at AA/AAA and has thrown 125 IP 2 years ago, 150 IP last year. Paddack hasn't topped 100 yet. I also think Strahm ends up in the BP. 

He's pitching really well 3 Ip 3 hits and 6 k's today

• Like 2

I was thinking I could sneak him into the 2nd round of my MILB draft but if he keeps making noise in spring training someone is going to snag him.  I have one pick coming up in round 1 and like 4 people I want to take with it!  Grrrr, some of these guys need to calm down so I can scoop them up quietly later in the draft.

A's hitters looked like they were impressed by his stuff too.  Can see the looks on their faces after the swings and shaking heads.

I was considering betting him for NL Cy Young a week or two ago, after his performance yesterday and tweets about maybe him making the OD Rotation, I tried to see if the odds were updated, they werent, so I took him at 60:1.  I think IF he starts in the rotation, he should be amongst the favorites. Buheler would have won it last year with like 134 IP if not for two of the better rookie seasons of all time competing with him and leaving him in the dust.

Always liked Paddack, even before he got TJ.  Not sure how he can survive with 2 pitches, but he's put up video  game numbers at every level. The only statistical comp based on minors in like the last 20 years based on k/bb is Bumgarner, and Paddack's numbers are better.  He's been projected by some systems as a current top 20 SP.

I wouldn't bet the house on him in redraft, but he's certainly a late round flier in standard at the minimum, even with demotion risk.

I don't care about ST numbers, but these are his normal numbers.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I was considering betting him for NL Cy Young a week or two ago, after his performance yesterday and tweets about maybe him making the OD Rotation, I tried to see if the odds were updated, they werent, so I took him at 60:1.  I think IF he starts in the rotation, he should be amongst the favorites. Buheler would have won it last year with like 134 IP if not for two of the better rookie seasons of all time competing with him and leaving him in the dust.

Always liked Paddack, even before he got TJ.  Not sure how he can survive with 2 pitches, but he's put up video  game numbers at every level. The only statistical comp based on minors in like the last 20 years based on k/bb is Bumgarner, and Paddack's numbers are better.  He's been projected by some systems as a current top 20 SP.

I wouldn't bet the house on him in redraft, but he's certainly a late round flier in standard at the minimum, even with demotion risk.

I don't care about ST numbers, but these are his normal numbers.

Brock - I think you mean ROY and if so I'm with you, those are great odds!

2 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Brock - I think you mean ROY and if so I'm with you, those are great odds!

Yes I meant roty