dsd10988

Chris Paddack - SP SD

8 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

his biggest competition could come from 2 of his teammates 

If Tatis is up early he's def ROTY competition. I can't imagine they give it to Urias who will probably hit less than 10 HR, he would probably need to hit 320.  Robles, Alonso, Senzel, and Reyes are amongst the contenders IMO.

13 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

If Tatis is up early he's def ROTY competition. I can't imagine they give it to Urias who will probably hit less than 10 HR, he would probably need to hit 320.  Robles, Alonso, Senzel, and Reyes are amongst the contenders IMO.

Reyes? Yah Urias doesn't scream ROTY, Senzel is interesting choice, but he missed an entire year almost

4 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

Reyes? Yah Urias doesn't scream ROTY, Senzel is interesting choice, but he missed an entire year almost

Reyes is great, probably doesn't get the innings for it in St Louis.

4 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Reyes is great, probably doesn't get the innings for it in St Louis.

oh duh, was thinking Franimal

On mlb network at 9est tonight vs trout and the angels 

• Thanks 1

Paddack looked great. Gave up a bloop double to Trout but his mix of pitches looked great...even without a ******* radar gun! That changeup is the real deal.

I watched the first 3 innings and he looked very good.  Would love to see him develop a slider or cutter.  Perhaps it will come in the future.

4 minutes ago, jb_power said:

I watched the first 3 innings and he looked very good.  Would love to see him develop a slider or cutter.  Perhaps it will come in the future.

He's working on a curveball. Not sure how many he threw tonight, I'm about to watch from the beginning but I know he threw a few in his last start. 

He threw good amount of curves. A couple back-to-back and behind in the count, got a few swings and misses. It was clear he was working on getting comfortable with using it more often than a "once in a while" pitch. It was a bit inconsistent, which isn't surprising since he's still working on it...every few curves he would bounce one or leave one in the eyes. Overall the pitch looked much improved much improved, if only as a third look to complement the FB and change.

Other than that, hammering the zone with his FB and getting some silly looking whiffs with his change. 

• Thanks 1

Paddack does need to learn to nibble more.  Twice last night he gave up hits on 0-2 counts with a fastball in the zone.  Being an ex pitcher and pitching coach that is a pet peeve of mine

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Which do you guys like better ? Reyes or Paddack long term? Do both start the season in the minors?

Edited by motown magic

1 hour ago, jb_power said:

Paddack does need to learn to nibble more.  Twice last night he gave up hits on 0-2 counts with a fastball in the zone.  Being an ex pitcher and pitching coach that is a pet peeve of mine

I said the same thing to one of my friends.  I guess it's better to throw too many strikes at this point of his career, but I'd like to see him scale that back a bit when he needs to.  He definitely works quick and challenges hitters though.

• Like 1

Absolutely. It looked to me like the hits off him were because the hitter was looking fastball and knew it would be in the zone. That is probably why his changeup is double plus. He catches hitters in that mode and they look silly flailing at it. I also agree that at this point of his development, you want him commanding his fastball in the zone. Once he learns how and when to put it a little farther off the zone, he'll get some chases. Especially if he elevates it. That combined with the changeup is a great starter kit. Elevating the fastball worked very well for Cole once he started doing it. I thought his curveball was a useful pitch also. Definitely has some vertical drop to it. He just needs to command it. It's not the garbage pitch some insinuate it is.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Westgate Odds dropped from 60:1 to 12:1 for Paddack ROTY

Pulling for you BP, that was a GREAT idea to lock in on those odds.  No risk, no reward!

On 3/14/2019 at 11:51 PM, rrrich46 said:

Heavy favorite to be stashed.

He shouldn't need to be stashed though.  At this point, it'd be ridiculous if he didn't start the season in their rotation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

He shouldn't need to be stashed though.  At this point, it'd be ridiculous if he didn't start the season in their rotation.

True. But we know how these things usually go. 

It doesn't seem like the Padres are overly concerned with saving money at the cost of winning, given their financial expenditures and aggressive front office.

• Like 3