dsd10988

Chris Paddack - SP SD

Based on the SD schedule and the fact that they'll need 5 starters immediately, I expect Paddack to make it. He's already had TJS and he's 24 years old. The incentive to shave service time is diminished with a pitcher with that history imo.

• Like 2

He will start the year with mlb team. Service time should not be a concern. He will have a IP limit for the year, so they will send him to the minors later in the year. Or I am missing something?

18 hours ago, Charlesco said:

He will start the year with mlb team. Service time should not be a concern. He will have a IP limit for the year, so they will send him to the minors later in the year. Or I am missing something?

I don't think he gets sent to the minors unless he's sucking. Theyll skip him or just dl him when they want to maintain 

Kiley says upside is James Shields (which wasn't too bad for awhile). If so, seems his stock will start to peak if he makes the opening roster and more if he gets the nod on day 1. Lack of a effective 3rd pitch is a common theme. Would it be smart to consider selling soon if people are buying into some of those juicy SD Peavy lines?

1 minute ago, tucker26 said:

Kiley says upside is James Shields (which wasn't too bad for awhile). If so, seems his stock will start to peak if he makes the opening roster and more if he gets the nod on day 1. Lack of a effective 3rd pitch is a common theme. Would it be smart to consider selling soon if people are buying into some of those juicy SD Peavy lines?

Paddack has a better changeup than anyone that has come along in ages, hes hard to compare, Peavy worked 92-94 mostly, Paddack is 93-96 with a devastating change.  Everytime I see someone make solid contact its on a curveball that hangs.  I don't know why they dont work a splitter/cutter/slider instead

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tucker26 said:

Yeah it's def not as bad as it sounds (the Shields comp)...there were some pretty good years in there. I've seen enough to believe that the CU is improving--to the point were it's not just a get-me-over type of offering. I also know it really doesn't count for much, but this kid just has something about him...moxie, mound presence (insert cliche)...obv can't be measured but I like how he competes and it makes me think that he expects to get better.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yeah it's def not as bad as it sounds (the Shields comp)...there were some pretty good years in there. I've seen enough to believe that the CU is improving--to the point were it's not just a get-me-over type of offering. I also know it really doesn't count for much, but this kid just has something about him...moxie, mound presence (insert cliche)...obv can't be measured but I like how he competes and it makes me think that he expects to get better.

Yeah, i like optimism here. And to be clear, I am far from qualified to comp 1 pitcher to another as many here are able to do so well, just saying the Peavy put up some monster years in SD so it's easy to grab his stats and apply them when projecting one of our precious prospects lol. That's how the hype works!

• Like 1

AJ Cassavell: Chris Paddack and Matt Strahm start Monday and Tuesday in Seattle. That seemingly lines them up to start Saturday and Sunday against the Giants

5 minutes ago, redlegsfan said:

Whats the latest auction value on this dude?

Impossible to say.

I can get him for a single dollar in standard redrafts.

In more competitive leagues there could always be a few big time fans of Paddack and see his $$ rise to $10 or so. 

I probably would be fine around $6, but anything more and your banking on a lot of success in IP and longevity.

23 hours ago, redlegsfan said:

I participated in a NL-only auction draft and got him for $11 on a $260 budget.  Not sure if that helps you gauge value or not, but thought I'd share.

23 hours ago, redlegsfan said:

I got him for $6 in a keeper draft.  I'd think you're still under $10 for him.

Think a dynasty auction would be $10+ for sure.

For a keeper/redraft, slightly under given innings cap this year and next year.

Just spitballing here.

So perplexed. Got to get him in my draft tomorrow (redraft)  but in the draft room he is ranked 420, so I am not sure where to grab him and I am sure they all know who he is by now.

Saw a few NFBC's had him 120 overall, is that crazy?

1 hour ago, cizastro said:

I participated in a NL-only auction draft and got him for $11 on a $260 budget.  Not sure if that helps you gauge value or not, but thought I'd share.

Thanks mate

Yeah he went for $5 in a mixed, when everyone was out of cash!!

I have a redraft mixed 5x5 roto tomorrow, now sure what to think but contemplating around round 11-12

38 minutes ago, redlegsfan said:

Thanks mate

Yeah he went for $5 in a mixed, when everyone was out of cash!!

I have a redraft mixed 5x5 roto tomorrow, now sure what to think but contemplating around round 11-12

I have seen rounds 13-20 depending on competition so it is broad but this is only a small sample, 5 mocks and 3 real drafts. An auction he went $8 mixed

4 K's in 2.2 today.  Was he pulled early for rotation or did something happen to him?

In fact, it almost looked like Andy Green told him right there on the mound that he made the team. Big smile from Paddack as well as his team mates as he exited the game

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Blood Brother said:

In fact, it almost looked like Andy Green told him right there on the mound that he made the team. Big smile from Paddack as well as his team mates as he exited the game

This is awesome. 

• Like 1

Dennis Lin of The Athletic reports that Chris Paddack will make his major league debut on Sunday versus the Giants.

The news comes after Paddack struck out four over 2 2/3 scoreless innings Monday against the Mariners in his final tune-up to lower his spring ERA to 1.76. The Padres didn't go into spring training expecting to carry Paddack on the Opening Day roster, as he's made just seven starts above A-ball and pitched just 90 innings last year in his first season back from Tommy John surgery. However, his stuff has taken another leap this spring and he put up a 24/3 K/BB ratio across 15 1/3 innings in addition to the sparkling ERA. There will obviously be workload limitations, but Paddack needs to be owned in all leagues.

• Like 1