Sign in to follow this  
mevins31

Alex Wood 2018 Outlook

Scherzer got his tits lit by the Marlins this week. All pitchers have bad outings guys lol. Wood has otherwise been good. The Dodgers just don't give him run support.

Definite sit for me. His career numbers are awful at Coors. 

I'm sure some of it can be attributed to being at Coors, but he also seems like he was just plain bad yesterday.  Anyone see the game that can comment?  Just being a box score watcher on this one, it looks like in the 2nd inning he walked the pitcher, then walked LeMahieu on 4 straight pitches, gave up a single to Blackmon, later on a Story HBP with the bases loaded to score another run, followed by a Desmond walk with bases loaded . . .

I could stomach him going to Coors and giving up 3-4 solo HR's and chalking it up to the altitude, but you can't really blame 3 BB + 1 HBP in a single inning on the altitude, he just couldn't throw strikes.  

9 hours ago, ZChronicNebula said:

next start vs Atlanta

/dropped

maybe not drop but he's become a matchup play clearly.  Avoid Coors and any top 5-10 offenses and you should be good.

4 hours ago, JetsAwesome said:

maybe not drop but he's become a matchup play clearly.  Avoid Coors and any top 5-10 offenses and you should be good.

I wouldn't even say that - it would make life a lot easier if we could just bench him in tough matchups, but from what I can see his blowups don't follow any patterns.  Everyone is saying "oh of course, Coors!" but his troubles yesterday didn't even have anything to do with Coors.  He just couldn't throw strikes - he only threw 33 of 61 pitches for strikes.  It doesn't matter what altitude you're at if you have no control whatsoever over where the ball is going.  He walked/HBP 4 batters in the 2nd inning.  And in the 1st he gave up a 459 foot HR to Desmond - that thing was leaving the yard even if it was hit under water.

Wood's other worst starts of the year?  7 ER in 3.2 IP vs. OAK, 5 ER in 5.1 IP vs. SD, and 4 ER in 6 IP at SF.  Those are some of the MLB's worst offenses, and were either at home or in SF at a pitcher's park.  Meanwhile he's thrown up 2 QS' against the Nationals this year already, and only 5 ER over 16 IP in 3 starts vs. the D-Backs.  

What it seems to come down to, is some days he has his command and control, and other days he doesn't.  And when he doesn't he could be pitching to a AA team, and he's still going to have a bad outing.  So that's what makes it really hard to predict.

• Like 1

He's a bench next week for me too. Atlanta is hitting over .300 against him. He's been in my lineup every week, otherwise. But you just can't ignore what ATL and COL has done against him.

• Like 1

Home off a bad start...No Acuna.... Freeman and markakis are lefties... Braves are his old team, I think he's got a great shot of bouncing back next start. 

20 minutes ago, Bugsy_Cicada said:

Home off a bad start...No Acuna.... Freeman and markakis are lefties... Braves are his old team, I think he's got a great shot of bouncing back next start. 

Current Braves slash line vs Wood is a combined .393/.444/.500. I think he has a great shot at continuing to be exposed as a non-rosterable fantasy player. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Current Braves slash line vs Wood is a combined .393/.444/.500. I think he has a great shot at continuing to be exposed as a non-rosterable fantasy player. 

14-5 with a 2.82 era at Dodger Stadium is compelling.  I can roll with him or two from Danny Duffy @ angels , @ Oak. Maybe I have Wood denial, refuse to believe he will continue to be this bad. 

On 6/4/2018 at 7:55 PM, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Pretty brutal outing, but being the optimist that I am, I'm always looking for a silver lining. For example, I noticed that his OPS vs them is now only .937

Good to go Sat vs. SF and Bumgarner. But is anyone brave enough to start him?

24 minutes ago, k.k. said:

Good to go Sat vs. SF and Bumgarner. But is anyone brave enough to start him?

I don't see any reason not to

13 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Pulled after 85 pitches. Did he get hurt? 

No, that's around his average per outing.

A damn junk ball thrower so the manager just doesn’t trust him regArdless of pitch count.  A damn waste this year. 

Anyone know what's going to happen with the LAD rotation after the break?  It seems that Buehler took Wood's spot tonight, but unclear if that's permanent or just because Buehler's timing lined up with Wood's spot in the rotation.

After the break, it seems that Kershaw, Stripling, Maeda all have spots, and Buehler probably.  That leaves Rich Hill and Wood (not even counting Ryu).  Wood has been outperforming Hill, but it's not hard to see a world where LAD sticks with Hill or even Ryu gets the 5th spot.

Roberts says they may go with a 6-man rotation for a couple of weeks after the break, but will Wood have a spot in the rotation come August / September?