JohnD

Julian Edelman 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

watch the documentary called “Icarus”, it’s ridiculously easy for athletes to skirt the tests

 

Movie was kind of boring though. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

 

I don't think I care enough to argue. A troll never admits to being a troll. Trolling 101.

dmb3684's definition of troll:  a person who refuses to type that everything is great in New England and all their players are great and All-Pros from 1-53.

 

My definition: someone who sidetracks the discussion with personal attacks.  I am here to talk about Julian Edelman, or the lack thereof.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RustyMiller said:

 

Maybe it was a calculated risk.  Maybe the PEDs helped him recover from the injury faster and decided a 4 game suspension was worth the risk in order to get to the field faster.  Maybe without the PEDs he knew he wouldn't be ready in time anyways and said f it, I'll just take it.

If so, I predict that the calculated risk has backfired badly, and that the implications will go well beyond the NFL's 4 game suspension.  Caveat emptor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

dmb3684's definition of troll:  a person who refuses to type that everything is great in New England and all their players are great and All-Pros from 1-53.

 

My definition: someone who sidetracks the discussion with personal attacks.  I am here to talk about Julian Edelman, or the lack thereof.

 

Ehh, I tried.

 

Im just gonna put you on ignore. Best of luck.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dmb should add a u to his name 

 

oh and the pats suck and that organization is collapsing. Got tom brady out here vetoing trades lmao

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

Dmb should add a u to his name 

 

oh and the pats suck and that organization is collapsing. Got tom brady out here vetoing trades lmao

 

Heard that joke a million times brah. Try harder.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do the league suspend someone without knowing what substance was found? Seems weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2018 at 4:44 PM, SharkSwimmer said:

dmb3684's definition of troll:  a person who refuses to type that everything is great in New England and all their players are great and All-Pros from 1-53.

 

My definition: someone who sidetracks the discussion with personal attacks.  I am here to talk about Julian Edelman, or the lack thereof.

 

I thought it was all Tom Brady?  Defense, O-Line, special teams, and running game don't matter.  TB12 or bust!

 

Is that trolling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

How do the league suspend someone without knowing what substance was found? Seems weird.

Its definitely worth monitoring.  The league should offer some kind of clarification.    It seems any half decent lawyer could argue to reverse this.  I dread the moment it does get reversed, if that happens.   The anti-Pats whining will be insufferable in that case

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, if this "team of scientists" can't figure out what this is, I would assume you have to overturn this suspension.

 

What I'm currently reading (and correct me if I'm reading wrong), he was NOT suspended because he took a banned substance.  He WAS suspended because they found a substance in his test that they don't know what it is.

 

"You did something here, it's not in my 2000 page rule book, and I don't know exactly what you did, but I'm going to give you this suspension regardless".

 

When in doubt... suspend.

 

I'm not Pats homer or anything, I do think the Pats hate is borderline stupid though, but this is foolish IMO.  I assume this has to get overturned unless this "team of scientists" is able to bring more clarity to this situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Yeah, if this "team of scientists" can't figure out what this is, I would assume you have to overturn this suspension.

 

What I'm currently reading (and correct me if I'm reading wrong), he was NOT suspended because he took a banned substance.  He WAS suspended because they found a substance in his test that they don't know what it is.

 

"You did something here, it's not in my 2000 page rule book, and I don't know exactly what you did, but I'm going to give you this suspension regardless".

 

When in doubt... suspend.

 

I'm not Pats homer or anything, I do think the Pats hate is borderline stupid though, but this is foolish IMO.  I assume this has to get overturned unless this "team of scientists" is able to bring more clarity to this situation.

I think that it maybe counts as a "tainted test" which is the same as a failed test in the eyes of the NFL. It will be interesting to see how this turns out. I for one do not hate the Patriots, it's almost impossible not to respect them, but man do I hate Julian Edelman. Have you ever heard this guy give an interview. Total douche.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, wonderbread said:

I think that it maybe counts as a "tainted test" which is the same as a failed test in the eyes of the NFL. It will be interesting to see how this turns out. I for one do not hate the Patriots, it's almost impossible not to respect them, but man do I hate Julian Edelman. Have you ever heard this guy give an interview. Total douche.

 

Well he’s certainly earned the right.   After all, he’s accomplished.....well...hmm....

he’s on the patriots ok.  

:lol:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, wonderbread said:

I think that it maybe counts as a "tainted test" which is the same as a failed test in the eyes of the NFL. It will be interesting to see how this turns out. I for one do not hate the Patriots, it's almost impossible not to respect them, but man do I hate Julian Edelman. Have you ever heard this guy give an interview. Total douche.

 

Repped this post for the first sentence. A diluted sample is just as damning as an actual positive hit in the eyes of the testers 

 

 no comment on Edelman’s douchiness, he always seemed like a cool guy to me. Granted, that’s mostly just from that cop buddy video he did with Amendola awhile back

Edited by lolcopter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Edelman just warmed up some Gatorade and turned it into the league as urine.  Apparently Norm Charleton used to do that to the Seattle Mariners training staff back in the 90s, just to mess with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When drugs are done, and then more drugs are taken to erase the fact that you took drugs you weren't supposed to take, it's not uncommon to receive the "unrecognizable" results on your drug test. Oh, Julian, when will you learn...

 

exasperated-gif-4.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

When drugs are done, and then more drugs are taken to erase the fact that you took drugs you weren't supposed to take, it's not uncommon to receive the "unrecognizable" results on your drug test. Oh, Julian, when will you learn...

 

exasperated-gif-4.gif

 

But this was over a week ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

How do the league suspend someone without knowing what substance was found? Seems weird.

 

I think these days, from what we've seen, the Goodellbot's motto is, When in doubt, suspend.

 

In a court of law, innocent until proven guilty. From NFL HQ, kinda the opposite. Case in point last year when that girl shoved her breast onto Zeke's hand which just happened to be squeezing at that exact moment.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cohenstantinople said:

 

I think these days, from what we've seen, the Goodellbot's motto is, When in doubt, suspend.

 

In a court of law, innocent until proven guilty. From NFL HQ, kinda the opposite. Case in point last year when that girl shoved her breast onto Zeke's hand which just happened to be squeezing at that exact moment.

 

Right but I mean it can't stand if they can't say what he took. Unless they figure it out I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

 

Right but I mean it can't stand if they can't say what he took. Unless they figure it out I guess.

 

The only way it would probably stand is if... 

 

Goodell was the one who hears the appeal. 

 

DA DA daaaaa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Julian Edelman's appeal of his four-game suspension was denied by the NFL.

He'll miss games against the Texans, Jaguars, Lions, and Dolphins. Rob Gronkowski will handle most of the Weeks 1-4 receiving load, with Chris Hogan in the No. 1 wideout role. We may also see Rex Burkhead used frequently in the slot. Edelman's four-game ban still has a chance to render him a value in fantasy drafts. He should return immediately as a WR2 beginning in Week 5.
Jul 3 - 7:20 PM

Well, it was expected.  But those of us looking at him as a potential keeper selection were holding out hope that he could somehow get it overturned.  At least this isn't a Zeke type situation where you go into the season on appeal thinking it will be overturned only to be crushed when the suspension gets upheld midseason when you need him the most.

 

Where do we think Edelman's ADP settles out at?  I wouldn't draft him now before the 7th or 8th in 12 and 14 team PPR leagues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2018 at 11:34 AM, dmb3684 said:

How do the league suspend someone without knowing what substance was found? Seems weird.

 

Is it really the leagues job to figure out what the substance is...I can't think of any job I ever had that would go that in depth on a drug test...if it says I failed then I failed case closed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Coprolagnia said:

 

Is it really the leagues job to figure out what the substance is...I can't think of any job I ever had that would go that in depth on a drug test...if it says I failed then I failed case closed.

Exactly. At this point it would be up to Edelman and his lawyers to provide the evidence that the substance he tested positive for was in fact not a banned substance and produced a false positive. Edelman lost the appeal. It calls into question the Guerrero (sp?) training regiment though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, devaster said:

Exactly. At this point it would be up to Edelman and his lawyers to provide the evidence that the substance he tested positive for was in fact not a banned substance and produced a false positive. Edelman lost the appeal. It calls into question the Guerrero (sp?) training regiment though.

 

Of course.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Value pick in the 7-10 rounds? People are scared of his suspension. I think if you have 3 solid wrs, you can get by for those weeks and then plug him in as a wr 2 weekly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MetsSox said:

 Value pick in the 7-10 rounds? People are scared of his suspension. I think if you have 3 solid wrs, you can get by for those weeks and then plug him in as a wr 2 weekly.

On fantasy pros he is currently W31 in PPR ranked 75th which in a 12 teamer is early 7th round but he seems to always go in 6th when I'm in mocks. His last healthy season in 2016 he put up decent numbers with 98 catches, 1106 yards but it took him 158 targets to do so and he only scored 4 TDs although that was good enough for WR15 in PPR. Gronk only had 38 targets that year since he was injured so would've probably expected bigger numbers from Edelman with Michael Floyd and Martellus Bennett the next two highest targeted options but that is the year Brady missed 4 games and Blount had a ridiculous number of rushing TDs. 

 

It is tough to say how much he has left in the tank 2 years older, coming off a major injury and with likely stiffer competition than what he faced in that last year. He should get plenty of catches though which gives him a strong floor in PPR but I think his targets will be closer to 100 than 150 and catches in 75ish range. Guys like Cobb and Crowder offer similar PPR upside at a round later price tag without being suspended for the first 4 games so it would take Edelman slipping into late 8th or early 9th for me to take the plunge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now