Sign in to follow this  
jfazz23

Steven Souza 2018 Outlook

Tomás probably the odd man out.  Like Souza here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I like

I really like if he is going to be the every day starter.  But they have a crowded OF. Tomas is definitely odd man out and probably should be moved. But if he stays he will get playing time. Dyson will also get a good amount of starts. I would love to see Souza as everyday player though.

Edited by singular

20 minutes ago, singular said:

I really like if he is going to be the every day starter.  But they have a crowded OF. Tomas is definitely odd man out and probably should be moved. But if he stays he will get playing time. Dyson will also get a good amount of starts. I would love to see Souza as everyday player though.

They didn't trade Drury + 3 prospects for a platoon player IMO. Tomas is the 5th OF now I think with Dyson being #4. Souza does everything Tomas does with a bat and more with better defense (the fact that he has a glove and 2 legs pretty much guarantees that). They probably view Tomas as sunken cost at this point and will treat him as such. That's my hope anyways 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, singular said:

I live in AZ. Local talk radio is saying he’ll be a starter.

Dyson is 4th OF’r. Tomas is toast. Owings is UTL. 

Pollack and Peralta are somewhat injury prone though 

Souza is a good plan B after Martinez left. 

Too bad humidor is coming. 

Humidor or not, I like Souza a lot more in Arizona, in a better stadium, surrounded by a better lineup. 

• Like 1

This is a great move for Souza from a fantasy perspective. He’ll be in a better lineup and ballpark. Projected to hit 5th after Peralta, Pollock, Goldy, and Lamb he should have plenty of RBI opportunities. 

3 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I live in AZ. Local talk radio is saying he’ll be a starter.

Dyson is 4th OF’r. Tomas is toast. Owings is UTL. 

Pollack and Peralta are somewhat injury prone though 

Souza is a good plan B after Martinez left. 

Too bad humidor is coming. 

Great news for Souza.  And blue skies overhead instead of endless insane Eshner-like catwalks running all over the place

But I don't get the bolded part?  Isn't Owings home free at 2B now that his only possible rival -- Brandon Drury -- was traded away in this deal to the Yankees?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Great news for Souza.  And blue skies overhead instead of endless insane Eshner-like catwalks running all over the place

But I don't get the bolded part?  Isn't Owings home free at 2B now that his only possible rival -- Brandon Drury -- was traded away in this deal to the Yankees?

i think so, and if peralta or pollock get hurt i can see owings getting bumped to leadoff or 2 hole

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Not necessarily. I believe it will be Marte at 2B and Ahmed at SS with Owings playing a super utility role. This setup gives them the most flexibility to play matchups (both offensively and defensively). 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I think they move Owings around to wherever they need him, thus UTL.

Ahmed could play a lot of SS, Marte could play a lot of 2B. The OF is crowded but they have some injury prone guys there.

Another question, who platoons at 3rd when Lamb still can't hit lefties? 

Souza was a ~4 win player last year.  No way they got him to platoon.

Guy was sneaky, really good last year.  Even better if you played in an OBP or OPS instead of avg league.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I think they move Owings around to wherever they need him, thus UTL.

Ahmed could play a lot of SS, Marte could play a lot of 2B. The OF is crowded but they have some injury prone guys there.

Another question, who platoons at 3rd when Lamb still can't hit lefties? 

Delscalso probably...super exciting (I'd rather just let Lamb try to figure out lefties)

1 hour ago, shorthop said:

Delscalso probably...super exciting (I'd rather just let Lamb try to figure out lefties)

True but Descalso is also a lefty, so maybe Lamb will get more chances to figure it out.

3 minutes ago, Baseball Batman said:

Run to your waiver wire and add Yasmany Tomas.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...lol