Sign in to follow this  
jfazz23

Steven Souza 2018 Outlook

I think this is good news for me. I may draft him and Murphy (Souza for a dollar, Murphy hopefully discounted as well) and stash both in my two DL spots and then hit the Waiver Wire for the leftover talent the next morning. That's an infusion of talent later in the year.

14 minutes ago, mi26 said:

Thoughts on Souza this season?

If he's available you should stash on DL. Why not? He was a monster last year, moves into better ballpark and better offense. Already reports his rehab is going well. Not an injury I'd expect to linger. If he's back May 1 he could still be in area of 30/15, which he achieved last year in 523 ABs.

There shouldn't be a playing time issue with just Jarrod Dyson in his way.

• Like 2

Souza's return should be getting close. Maybe sometime late this week or early next week? I assume they'll send him on a rehab assignment. 

Edited by Flyman75

On 4/16/2018 at 7:44 AM, Flyman75 said:

Souza's return should be getting close. Maybe sometime late this week or early next week? I assume they'll send him on a rehab assignment. 

More than 2 weeks from this post and still no signs of life

Unreal. If I knew it was going to be this long I would've dropped him before the season started.  I don't even like him that much.

3 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

They tried to downplay his setback, but apparently it was a bigger deal than they let on. 

2 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Unreal. If I knew it was going to be this long I would've dropped him before the season started.  I don't even like him that much.

No DL slots? I'm intrigued by him enough to wait for him. As I've said before itt, I like his power-speed combo and I like the situation a lot more for him in Arizona. I think he's going to be solid...when he eventually returns. 

21 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

No DL slots? I'm intrigued by him enough to wait for him. As I've said before itt, I like his power-speed combo and I like the situation a lot more for him in Arizona. I think he's going to be solid...when he eventually returns. 

Unfortunately no DL slot and there's been so many injuries already this year.

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

EST. RETURN:  5/11/2018
April 30, 2018  –  Steven Souza News

RotoWire Fantasy Analysis

Souza (pectoral) received four at-bats in an extended spring training game over the weekend and is set to extend his throwing distance to 110-to-120 feet Monday, Matt Kelly of MLB.com reports.

This was posted on April 30th on RotoWire.......currently estimated return on 5/11/18.......which is probably optimistic until he can play in back to back games.

Owned in all leagues?? anyone have a projection. 

dunno. the line up isn't as strong as it was expected to be, especially with lamb out and golds struggling. Wouldn't say a must own piece, but he's a good 20/20 combo candidate if you can take a hit in avg.

1 hour ago, chud12 said:

Owned in all leagues?? anyone have a projection. 

One of the fangraphs chats had this question just this week and the fangraphs writer (can't remember which one, maybe Jeff Zimmerman?) said "what he did last year minus 25%." 

Been consistently in the 5-hole since his return. I picked him up off waivers about 3 weeks ago and stashed him. Once he gets warmed up, batting 5th in a run-producing lineup should give this guy a boost. Hope my stash works out here. 

So how patient are owners going to be with Souza. He's started 6-for-39 with merely an RBI and SB as counting stats. I know he's only been back for a dozen or so games, but I expected more at this point. 

11 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

So how patient are owners going to be with Souza. He's started 6-for-39 with merely an RBI and SB as counting stats. I know he's only been back for a dozen or so games, but I expected more at this point. 

Have to be patient. You wouldn't have dropped him at this point if it was April 12th at start of season.

I should've dropped him before the season started and I knew it too.  Didn't really think he'd miss so much time and it just came to a point where I held onto him long enough.  So now it would suck to drop him but I don't have a lot of faith in him.

Different team, different league and all that. I just have a hard time dropping a guy with the power-speed combo that he has. Maybe he doesn't figure it out this year, but I'm willing to give him more time on the bench to figure it out. Part of me hopes he hits the DL again to get this pec injury sorted out for good. 

I think when healthy he could be a real contributor in that lineup.