Sign in to follow this  
SpecialFNK

Eugenio Suarez 2018 Outlook

3B for the Reds.

Suarez has been good the last 2 seasons, and is still only 26.

there is the threat of prospect Nick Senzel. Senzel will be in camp playing both 3B and SS.

Edited by SpecialFNK

His ADP is 192 and I'm loving it. I'll gladly take him that late over guys like Devers and Castellanos who are going 70-90 picks higher. He has even more value in OBP leagues. 

I drafted him in the 19th round last year and some of the guys in my league asked "who??". I'm actually very surprised he's still not getting any love this year. He should put up 25 hr, 80 runs and 80 RBIs with a solid average and OBP. What's not to like that late?

5 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

I drafted him in the 19th round last year and some of the guys in my league asked "who??". I'm actually very surprised he's still not getting any love this year. He should put up 25 hr, 80 runs and 80 RBIs with a solid average and OBP. What's not to like that late?

I think it's the threat of Senzel taking over but at that 192 ADP, I'm wiling to take that risk. He's also a really good defensive 3B. 

3 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

I think it's the threat of Senzel taking over but at that 192 ADP, I'm wiling to take that risk. He's also a really good defensive 3B. 

Possibly but I don't see them taking playing time away from him for Senzel given how good he is on defense in addition to what he's done with the bat. As @SpecialFNK said Senzel is taking reps at SS and 3B this spring so it's possible they keep him down longer to see how he develops at SS in able to keep Suarez at 3B. 

His stats from last year look decent but he was so streaky last year. Started off hot and then was very average until a nice stretch in August. Could be a risky play if he’s your starting 3B. 

Senzel could play 2B.   Suàrez could be traded sometime this season. 

I wouldn't reach for him, but I do really like Suarez. He's a perfect guy for you at 3b if you waited on the position for a long time in a deeper league. 

A lot of talk about Senzel putting play time in question but Suarez was brought up as a SS and played there primarily when Cozart missed most of the 2015 season. In the case that Senzel can't handle SS but absolutely forces the Reds hand with his bat I think it is most likely the loser here is Peraza and Eugenio just shifts over to his old position.

A trade could happen but I doubt it since Suarez doesn't hit FA until 2021 so he's just as useful for rebuilding as prospects.

Edited by BleedRedsRed

12 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I wouldn't reach for him

That's for sure, but the beauty is you don't have to. I collected guys like this last year late in drafts and FAAB, Gallo, Zimmerman, Suarez... it got out of control and I had to deal some of them away. Now all are higher ADP but all still reasonable compared to projected value. These are the new roto-grinders in fantasy baseball. Did the same thing with MIs like Taylor, Merrifield, DeJong, and Happ. FBR guys, fly ball revolution.

don't count on Senzel. Alex Blandino was removed from the Reds minor league game.

• Thanks 1

I wonder if the Reds will even place him on the DL?  They've had Schebler out of the lineup for about 2 weeks.  

So what do we expect from Suarez when he comes back? Diminished power for a while, or should he pick right up and be his typical self?

On 4/8/2018 at 4:00 PM, kidtwentytwo said:

I wonder if the Reds will even place him on the DL?  They've had Schebler out of the lineup for about 2 weeks.  

He went on the DL pretty quickly.

Reds move slow but man they should have a timetable soon - if he needs surgery get er done!  

Such a bummer. He was off to a great start, too. And for where he was going in drafts, I think he was about to return an excellent profit. 

Stash in your DL if you can, but I would expect there to be a mini power outage when he first comes back, so it could be rough for a while.

Just giving some context here...I already dropped him in my 10 team league with 3 DL spots. I've already got Kinsler, Pomeranz, and Lamb on the DL, all of whom should be returning soon, but I just couldn't see holding onto him for 6-8 weeks then rostering him while he tries to regain strength in his hand.

As he nears his return I'll be keeping an eye on him and might pick him back up. 

Edited by BostonCajun

well no word on surgery so maybe thats a positive sign.....no timetable at all from what ive seen - strange