Sign in to follow this  
SpecialFNK

Eugenio Suarez 2018 Outlook

I hate the Reds. Wish we had news.

This guy was going to be such a fantasy steal :(

Just now, chowda said:

Price just said that Suarez could be back within a month...Anyone buying this?

Unless he didn't actually fracture his thumb I don't see how that's possible. 

3 hours ago, chowda said:

Price just said that Suarez could be back within a month...Anyone buying this?

A month???  sounds uber optimistic....I would have signed up for 6 weeks so Im thinking that is where it will end up.  

Cool glad there's news. 6 weeks is long but that seems to be worst-case now?

Quote from Price on Suarez

"The initial thought was it was going to be several weeks and I think it's going to be shorter than that," Price said. "I think it has a chance to be less than a month and I don't think that's just being optimistic. That's from early reports. I think he has a fair ways to go before he is able to do any real baseball activity. But I think we're all optimistic that it's not going to be as long as we initially thought it might be – six weeks or something like that. At least at this point, is the case." 

• Like 1

A thumb injury can impact a players swing even when they come back, right?  Are we optimistic that he more or less picks back up, or will this be a lingering thing?  Who had the thumb last year that killed their season?  I can't think of the name off the top of my head.

Maybe him ahead of schedule is also why Senzel wasn’t called up, could be they want to keep 3B open for him 

20 hours ago, JJ1223 said:

A thumb injury can impact a players swing even when they come back, right?  Are we optimistic that he more or less picks back up, or will this be a lingering thing?  Who had the thumb last year that killed their season?  I can't think of the name off the top of my head.

I think Freeman..? And yes, I've heard that it could sap power. At least for some weeks after coming back from DL.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JJ1223 said:

good news on his earlier return but I wouldnt count on him being back to "normal" until a month or so after....still like him and would buy on the cheap or grab off wire if dropped for 2d half output. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fingy said:

I think Freeman..? And yes, I've heard that it could sap power. At least for some weeks after coming back from DL.

Freemans was a fractured wrist, not a thumb.

And on that note — we are hoping he didn’t just break it again last night. 

These HBPs are brutal man. 

23 hours ago, fingy said:

I remember now, it was Correa that I was thinking of.  Different injury, though.  Correa had torn ligament while Eugenio has a fracture, right?

Rotowire said he hit off a tee. Is this guy superhuman, seems like an extremely fast recovery. 

per rotoworld, Suarez is beginning a rehab assignment. pretty crazy return time for a fractured thumb. 

9 minutes ago, astarlist said:

per rotoworld, Suarez is beginning a rehab assignment. pretty crazy return time for a fractured thumb. 

I just hope he isn't rushing it. I don't see why he would given they way Cincy is looking though.

An owner in my league released Suarez the day after the injury.  I proceeded to pick him up with the thought process that when he gets healthy I could deal Anthony Rendon for Outfield help and insert Suarez into third. 

Is the downgrade from Rendon to Suarez significant?  Most seem to think Rendon's breakthrough 2017 was a fluke.

11 minutes ago, Magnus88 said:

An owner in my league released Suarez the day after the injury.  I proceeded to pick him up with the thought process that when he gets healthy I could deal Anthony Rendon for Outfield help and insert Suarez into third. 

Is the downgrade from Rendon to Suarez significant?  Most seem to think Rendon's breakthrough 2017 was a fluke.

Look at his 2016, that was the breakthrough if Suarez is who you’re referring to. If it’s Rendon, 2014 was his year. Both are for real 

Just now, mavsfan23 said:

Look at his 2016, that was the breakthrough if Suarez is who you’re referring to. If it’s Rendon, 2014 was his year. Both are for real 

Rendon was the breakthrough player I was referring to.  Other than 2017 his numbers have been solid but not spectacular.

But as I was saying before once Suarez gets off the DL I'm considering dealing Rendon for help in other areas.  Rendon is the bigger name player by far, but Suarez's production isn't much worse (when comparing Suarez to non-2017 Rendon of course).

Suarez is one of the most underrated players in the league imo.  The guy is a very solid fantasy producer, but doesn't ever seem to get much love.

• Like 2

Think he was activated today. I am looking for a link now.

Wow. 

Reds activated 3B Eugenio Suarez from the 10-day disabled list.

Suarez is starting at third base and batting fifth Thursday afternoon against the Braves after missing just over two weeks with a fracture in his right thumb. The thought initially was that he could be sidelined through much of May. Suarez returns to a .296/.424/.630 batting line with two home runs and seven RBI in eight games played.
  • Like 1

Wow is right - I didnt think he would be back until Mid May...plus from rehab he looks to be hitting well.....will see how he looks over the weekend before deciding to activate Monday for weekly leagues....usually takes a while to round into form with a thumb fracture but this seems to be an unusual recovery in a good way so maybe he is good to go soon....great news and if there is  still time to buy or even pick up if someone foolishly dropped -  go get him!