thebrowns

2018 Rookie QB Class

Eagles traded up for Wentz and he is much better than Goff. Another example. And I'd say Houston trading up for Watson will be the better of Mahomes and Trubisky.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:23 AM, joshua18 said:

Exactly

No one came from more money than Peyton and Eli.

Ironic is that the coach who threw him under the bus is unemployed and has been living off his daddy's name his whole life.

Peyton wanted to be great and was arguably the best at preparing...year round. Maybe to physically but certainly mentally.

No doubt Rosen has the best tools of all the QBs but he just made another bad statement. One I've always said is a head scratcher. 'I'm even more motivated now'. Really? You mean it takes something like a drop in the draft to motivate you more??? The correct reply to  a question like the one Deion asked is ' I'm always motivated 100%'.

3 hours ago, FavreCo said:

Peyton wanted to be great and was arguably the best at preparing...year round. Maybe to physically but certainly mentally.

No doubt Rosen has the best tools of all the QBs but he just made another bad statement. One I've always said is a head scratcher. 'I'm even more motivated now'. Really? You mean it takes something like a drop in the draft to motivate you more??? The correct reply to  a question like the one Deion asked is ' I'm always motivated 100%'.

Guy on NFL network reiterated what I saw. 'So it take you being slighted to get you motivated?' He said he wants a guy motivated 100% all the time.

Then they just asked Darnold, does being passed up twice motivate you more? Answer: 'No, I'm motivated no matter if I'm picked #1 or last in the draft.' Yeah, they see what I see. Obvious they were doing that because of Rosen's answer.

Edited by FavreCo

Rosen got exactly what he asked for. Something along the lines of a later pick to a better fit or something? He has nobody to blame but himself

Edited by lolcopter

On 4/27/2018 at 10:32 AM, devaster said:

Eagles traded up for Wentz and he is much better than Goff. Another example. And I'd say Houston trading up for Watson will be the better of Mahomes and Trubisky.

29 minutes ago, TTo34 said:

Fun reading through this again with the season just about played out.

You're right @TTo34 this is a fun read. This quote from @Devastator would make a great debate now.

I'm scared to see what i said. 

3 hours ago, thebrowns said:

You're right @TTo34 this is a fun read. This quote from @Devastator would make a great debate now.

I'm scared to see what i said. 

Well Watson definitely looks fine. I was dead wrong on Mahomes coming into form this quickly though. I didn't think he was going to be this good or this good this early. Interesting to see how Mahomes makes improvements next year and onwards.

I flip-floppped quite a bit on Rosen. I came around a bit on him thinking he would be decent. He looks like a definite bust as of now. And I doubt Josh Allen ever develops much as a thrower. Exciting runner to watch though.

Edited by devaster
  • Like 1

I didn’t weigh in on this topic before the season, but my current ranking of the QBs who played significant minutes this year is below.  Darnold and Jackson will probably spark the most debate.

1) Mayfield (clear #1 at this point)

2) Darnold (like what I’ve seen since coming back from the injury)

3) Jackson (needs to develop a lot as a passer)

4) Allen (questionable accuracy and decision-making)

5) Rosen (looks like a bust)

I’ll come to defend Josh Allen, he has improved so much this year. Has looked fantastic since coming back from injury, it’s like two different players. 

He takes a lot of s--- for his accuracy but it looked great yesterday, his receivers drop so many balls though. I think he’s going to be a stud. Would much rather him than Darnold from what I’ve seen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I’ll come to defend Josh Allen, he has improved so much this year. Has looked fantastic since coming back from injury, it’s like two different players. 

He takes a lot of s--- for his accuracy but it looked great yesterday, his receivers drop so many balls though. I think he’s going to be a stud. Would much rather him than Darnold from what I’ve seen.

To be fair, I don’t watch a lot of Bills games (only going off what I’ve seen in the prime time games and highlights), so I’ll defer to you.  He also has no weapons around him, which is a valid point.

10 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I’ll eat some Allen crow myself too, but screw Rosen. Guy stinks

At this point, still a lot of development possible, Mayfield looks like the only worthwhile QB from 2018. 2017 definitely looks to be a superior class.

11 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Who does Rosen have ? Old man Fitz? He already lost Kirk...

Who does Allen have, exactly?

12 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Who does Rosen have ? Old man Fitz? He already lost Kirk...

Even with Kirk he struggled to generate much in the passing game. And that is with passing offenses taking off this season.

I'm amazed watching Allen run in a TD every week on a scramble drill. That is literally the only threat from him inside the RZ. Yet defenders continue to over-run and over-commit and lose containment and let him get the edge for a score.

Allen and Jackson are very much the same QB right now. Both need heavy development as a passer. Their running threat has really provided a boon to each of their team's running games though.

Cardinals are in total shambles. Rosen reminds me of 2016 Goff. With a legit HC/OC and a NFL worthy OL, he will do just fine. This guy gets hit on each and every throw. And they have to throw a lot since their defense can't stop anybody. Kinda impressive how he stands in there and tries to go through his reads, gets smacked down and gets back up. Confidence won't ever be an issue with Rosen. He has the talent and grit to be a good one. Horrible situation for now.

6 minutes ago, devaster said:

Even with Kirk he struggled to generate much in the passing game. And that is with passing offenses taking off this season.

he needs weapons. where are they? 

2 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

He has had some decent ones for the majority of the season. Better than the Bills or Ravens at least. And the Jets. Could argue the Browns as well because Njoku has struggled and Landry has been nonexistent most of the season. At least Chubb looks good, but so does DJ.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Weapons are an issue. But DJ + Fitzgerald aren't exactly the worst supporting cast. Along with what was a decent rookie season from Kirk. Their by far biggest issue is OL. This unit was projected to be among the worst, and then lost all 5 starters to IR. Starting OL the last couple weeks: 7th round rookie - UDFA rookie - 3rd round rookie - street FA (singed 3 weeks ago) - street FA (signed 2 weeks ago).

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

I didn’t weigh in on this topic before the season, but my current ranking of the QBs who played significant minutes this year is below.  Darnold and Jackson will probably spark the most debate.

Love what I’ve seen of Mayfield, but needs to learn to put a little more touch on some throws.

Darnold looks better than I thought he would, but needs better WR’s. Herndon looks like a catch at TE.

I would switch Allen & Jackson here. Allen has a cannon for an arm & decision-making can be taught. Jackson just looks like more an athlete than a legit QB. 

Rosen is Jay Cutler all over again. Has physical tools, but just doesn’t seem to give a damn

• Like 1

Just now, lvsaint429 said:

Love what I’ve seen of Mayfield, but needs to learn to put a little more touch on some throws.

Darnold looks better than I thought he would, but needs better WR’s. Herndon looks like a catch at TE.

I would switch Allen & Jackson here. Allen has a cannon for an arm & decision-making can be taught. Jackson just looks like more an athlete than a legit QB. 

Rosen is Jay Cutler all over again. Has physical tools, but just doesn’t seem to give a damn

I'd put Jackson above Allen right now. Better offense around him, but he has been decent. Both Jackson and Allen are athletes at the moment rather than legit QB's. They have serious deficiencies as throwers. I think that gets overlooked with Allen because the stigma gets thrown at black QB's rather than the other way around. Both guys right now are playing Tim Tebow football.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

I like your rankings. Realistically, things will probably line up like that. From an upside perspective I would rank like this:

1. Mayfield

2. Jackson - Intriguing. I would like to see how he develops in a full off-season as a starting QB in the NFL. So dynamic.

3. Allen - The accuracy issues have followed him from college which is a concern, but there is something here.

4. Darnold - I don't know. I see a good serviceable QB. I would have to see more

5. Rosen - I put him here because I have seen him the least of the 5 QB's and each time that I see him he ***** the bed lol.

With this all being said, these guys will have a long ways to go if they don't get better play-callers and talent around them. It's just my personal belief that a team should build a foundation before getting a QB. Too many years are wasted building talent around them before contract demands come into play.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

I'd put Jackson above Allen right now. Better offense around him, but he has been decent. Both Jackson and Allen are athletes at the moment rather than legit QB's. They have serious deficiencies as throwers. I think that gets overlooked with Allen because the stigma gets thrown at black QB's rather than the other way around. Both guys right now are playing Tim Tebow football.

Think it has more to do with his thin frame when compared to Allen who is a physical beast

1 minute ago, devaster said:

Allen/Jackson...potato/potahto. I guess I just give Allen an edge due to arm strength. Otherwise it’s personal preference I suppose