Sign in to follow this  
FantasyGuru24

Martavis Bryant 2018 Outlook

Rumors of Pitt listening to trade offers .. Carolina, Miami, Washington .. All interested ..  I think he would flourish on another team .. thoughts?

Just now, FantasyGuru24 said:

Rumors of Pitt listening to trade offers .. Carolina, Miami, Washington .. All interested ..  I think he would flourish on another team .. thoughts?

Carolina would make sense.

• Like 1

If anyone should be interested in him, it should be the 49ers or Cowboys.

Could Martavis be a WR1 on another team? I feel like he has the talent

Carolina?  YES PLEASE!

• Like 1

Yes, he's a WR1 talent.  If Brandin Cooks fetched a late 1st, I think Bryant is worth a 2nd or 3rd.  And I think that discount is 75% character issues and only 25% perceived talent gap.  Just my opinion.

Best fits...

NFC N: Da Bears.  Desperately need play makers for their young QB.  Rumors Denver doesn't want to trade Sanders after all.  Can they depend on Calvin Ridley at 8 to be an instant difference maker?

NFC E: Cowboys.  Needs speed bad.  Dez is a shadow of his old self, Butler's gone, TWill's a JAG, Cole Beasley is Steve the Pirate.  Bryant would do a ton for the offense.

NFC S: Panthers.  Rumors that Carolina wants to completely revamp its WR corps.  Funchess probably isn't a true WR1.  They could feasibly trade a 2nd to get an established talent instead of spending a 1st for a young prospect.

NFC W: 49ers.  Garcon is good but no true 1.  Goodwin is a 2.  Bryant would give you both size (which they have none of) and speed (which Shanny uses better than anyone).

AFC N: Not happening.

AFC E: Jets have Enunwa and Anderson is in jail last I heard.  Could use a WR1.  Miami is rumored to want to tag-and-trade Landry, and also Parker looks like a lost cause.  Could be a great fit.

AFC S: Some will say the Titans but I disagree.  Davis and Mathews are sufficient at 1 and 2 if the coaches use them right. 

AFC W: Chiefs would make sense.  Besides Tyreek, no WR scares me.  Looks like they're open to making big trades, too.

49ers, Bears, and Panthers stand out as best fits to me, in that order.

• Like 2

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports the Steelers "have not made any attempts to move" Martavis Bryant.

La Canfora added that the Steelers "aren't calling teams or soliciting calls" on Bryant. This conflicts with an earlier report from NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, who said Pittsburgh was "listening to potential deals." Bryant ruffled feathers by complaining about his role last season but is only due $705,000 in 2018. Ultimately we'd expect the Steelers to stand pat.

for under a mil  i dont see him going anywhere 

• Like 1

Steelers were pretty close to going to the Super Bowl last year, having barely lost to the two AFC Championship teams.  So I see them trying to gear up and keep all the weapons they have.  Remember Martavis played well in the games that Antonio Brown missed.  And Bryant was a good soldier after his suspension.  Betcha Bryant is a Steeler in 2018.

15 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Steelers were pretty close to going to the Super Bowl last year, having barely lost to the two AFC Championship teams.  So I see them trying to gear up and keep all the weapons they have.  Remember Martavis played well in the games that Antonio Brown missed.  And Bryant was a good soldier after his suspension.  Betcha Bryant is a Steeler in 2018.

At the same time, the offense was not the issue last year. If they could get a 2nd and turn it into some kind of run stuffing front 7 player it may help more than it hurts. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Flyers_28 said:

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports the Steelers "have not made any attempts to move" Martavis Bryant.

La Canfora added that the Steelers "aren't calling teams or soliciting calls" on Bryant. This conflicts with an earlier report from NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, who said Pittsburgh was "listening to potential deals." Bryant ruffled feathers by complaining about his role last season but is only due $705,000 in 2018. Ultimately we'd expect the Steelers to stand pat.

for under a mil  i dont see him going anywhere 

I don't think they're conflicting. The one report said they're listening. The other said that they're not actively calling or soliciting. You can sit back and be open to listening while not actively trying to shop. 

• Like 1

One team I haven't seen mentioned is the Cardinals. I feel like they'd be a great fit. You've got arguably the best mentor in the league for him in Fitz, a THIN receiving core, and given they've already blown a first and third rounder on WRs in recent years, might as well use a 4th to get a proven one. Can't imagine it'd take much more than that to get him. 

• Like 1

If Pittsburgh trades M. Bryant, I suspect it will be to a team in the NFC.  I would love it if Bryant ended up in Seattle.

On 2/23/2018 at 3:22 PM, FantasyGuru24 said:

They could run a hail mary type long ball at the end of every first half with him, Jordy and Adams.

I hope the Rams trade for him (and let Sammy walk), I think McVay would use him right.

Edited by hoppychokes

13 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

One team I haven't seen mentioned is the Cardinals. I feel like they'd be a great fit. You've got arguably the best mentor in the league for him in Fitz, a THIN receiving core, and given they've already blown a first and third rounder on WRs in recent years, might as well use a 4th to get a proven one. Can't imagine it'd take much more than that to get him. 

He's not going for a 4th. Steelers already denied numerous offers around trade deadline of a 4th. He's gonna make under a $1 million this year, and even if he doesn't re-sign, going all in and keeping him one more year makes way more sense then dealing him for a 4th. The reports have said they wouldn't consider anything other than a 2nd, its not like theyre actively moving him, they're just listening to see if someone will overpay.

• Like 3

juju is just in his second year and could do the "regress" as a wr when the heat is on full time? you gotta keep a cheap useful vet on your team whenever you have one. brown showed some signs of injury starting to set in and he will start to slow down sooner or later. is 2018 the year he has a major injury setback? well if so you have a fairly decent cheap insurance policy in bryant. cheap makes all the sense in the world to keep him. look at what they have in brown$. look at what they have in ben$. look at what it will take to get bell$? when you got capital like that in your front guys, you need insurance.....that said, we all know bryant is a head case. pitt knows for sure. they could see his attitude for playing on the "cheap" being a problem with his desire to play for them. he could be a cancer in the locker room? he and ben could have a rift going and that could have been why he sat to begin with? haley is gone. juju is good. pitt may want to "cleanse" themselves of bryant and move on from him since they still have him under contract. if they could get a 2-3 instead of seeing him walk next year and get nothing? that could be bait to cut.? pitt has a history of not putting up with anyone hanging off the side of the boat when it is sailing. .......this is it in a nut shell....if they get a 2nd, i see them weighing everything out, and taking that deal.

M. Bryant to the Brown’s for a 3rd & 5th rounder.

You shouldn’t bite the hand that feeds you, or you’ll be traded to the Browns.

That will be good for locker room & off field discipline...

9 hours ago, soxfan94 said:

He's not going for a 4th. Steelers already denied numerous offers around trade deadline of a 4th. He's gonna make under a $1 million this year, and even if he doesn't re-sign, going all in and keeping him one more year makes way more sense then dealing him for a 4th. The reports have said they wouldn't consider anything other than a 2nd, its not like theyre actively moving him, they're just listening to see if someone will overpay.

You certainly could be right, and the fact that his salary is peanuts and he's playing for a contract makes him particularly appealing, but I don't think they get a 2nd for him unless it's a late 2nd. My guess is a 3rd gets it done but time will tell. All the drama there last year hurts Pitt's leverage. I think that'll play a factor. 

I could see him being dealt for a 3rd at some point in the season, with Juju , Brown and Bell its hard for him to get enough targets. Steeelers may end up keeping him just based of how cheap he is this year though.

7 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

You certainly could be right, and the fact that his salary is peanuts and he's playing for a contract makes him particularly appealing, but I don't think they get a 2nd for him unless it's a late 2nd. My guess is a 3rd gets it done but time will tell. All the drama there last year hurts Pitt's leverage. I think that'll play a factor. 

I don't think they'll get a 2nd either, which is why I think he stays in Pittsburgh. It just doesn't make much sense for the Steelers to sell low here when they have little depth besides AB/JuJu (Hunter/DHB aren't consistent and Eli Rogers is coming off a torn ACL and struggled last year). They'll likely have to overpay Bell, so keeping an elite offensive talent like Bryant for as cheap as he is just makes way more sense than acquiring a 3rd/4th round pick, especially with Steelers in complete win now mode.

• Like 2

IMO steelers tried to replace him twice with both DHB and that other real tall guy Sammie Coates and now they even got Justin hunter too. 

Sometimes you just can't replace tall and fast if the talent is missing. 

If I'm in a championship window I hold him absolutely. The question is will Bryant allow himself to be held? His time in the program hurts his leverage a bit, but if a guy won't play for you he won't play for you. 

21 hours ago, soxfan94 said:

"He's not going for a 4th. Steelers already denied numerous offers around trade deadline of a 4th. He's gonna make under a $1 million this year, and even if he doesn't re-sign, going all in and keeping him one more year makes way more sense then dealing him for a 4th. The reports have said they wouldn't consider anything other than a 2nd, its not like theyre actively moving him, they're just listening to see if someone will overpay."

You're right, Pittsburgh can just bring Bryant back on the cheap, use & let him go, then receive a compensatory draft pick. But there's no guarantee that it will go exactly as that. Even so, best case scenario would be a pick after the 3rd round in 2019. But that's only if they waive signing a FA(s) of commensurate value. Bryant messed up but then recommitted, had his best offseason and came to camp ripped. He was ready to come up big for them, but they were like: oh, we need to see some other friggin' thing. Given his reaction, fair to assume that his role or lack there of wasn't what he expected. 

Reduced to a lesser role & special teams, he requested on separate occasions to be traded. Later, when they had sustained injuries and the deadline passed, he mimicked he was all about playing for them. The circumstance there isn't lost on other teams, Pittsburgh's not getting more for him than they otherwise would. If the Steelers have more than a player they can move, it'll be from leaning on his desire to play. Otherwise, a 4th rd'er in a few months from now is as good as a player after the 3rd rd is done come 2019. It's probably naive to believe that what's out there is all there is to know. i suspect that behind the scene Bryant is again demanding to be traded.       

Edited by markrc99

I'm in the "its crazy to trade him" camp.    I think he'll be well behaved, as i'm sure his agent pointed out that a healthy, similar season will net him a good contract.......which also means PIT gets that comp pick.   A 2nd rounder seems ludicrous for a player you can't control beyond one season (without a franchise tag), so I'm guessing the best PIT gets is a third rounder- which they can nab a year later by hanging onto him (maybe a 4th).     In the meantime, he's a cheap, strong receiver.  Even if he's splitting third banana with JuJu for a year, so what?   Great insurance, and any of their top 4 getting injured just means they have a productive guy who can step right in to soak up extra targets.  

Perhaps they consider a player for player trade though.  If there's a hole they need to plug, that would make sense

17 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I'm in the "its crazy to trade him" camp.    I think he'll be well behaved, as i'm sure his agent pointed out that a healthy, similar season will net him a good contract.......which also means PIT gets that comp pick.   A 2nd rounder seems ludicrous for a player you can't control beyond one season (without a franchise tag), so I'm guessing the best PIT gets is a third rounder- which they can nab a year later by hanging onto him (maybe a 4th).     In the meantime, he's a cheap, strong receiver.  Even if he's splitting third banana with JuJu for a year, so what?   Great insurance, and any of their top 4 getting injured just means they have a productive guy who can step right in to soak up extra targets.  

I think of it like this: you have a startable WR2 on your fantasy team, but he's generally on your bench except during bye weeks because you're already loaded at WR.  So why not trade him for a RB, where you are weak?  Yeah, it's nice to have insurance.  It's nicer to have a team with no holes in the starting lineup.

To me, that's the Steelers.  Offense is loaded as is.  Martavis helps for depth, sure, but they need starters on defense.  Add to all this the fact that you know he is gone the following year and you'll get nothing if you don't trade him now.  He's more valuable to other teams as a starter than he is to Pittsburgh as a depth player; and they need help basically everywhere on defense.  They hung 42 on the Jaguars D.  Problem is their own D gave up 45 to a Bortles-led offense.  All about positional need for me.

Edited by Lord_Varys