bbythepier

Jack Flaherty 2018 Outlook

@Colepenhagen go watch the swinging K vs Realmuto today in the highlights. did he have that 2-seamer last year? in post game quotes for the Dispatch, he talks about different finger pressure. i can't wait for 4 good starts to see if he's the next Nola with a 91mph 2-seamer that gets off the sweet spot of bats. we all know how good his MiLB stats looked.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/cards-loss-in-exhibition-opener-has-st-louis-flavor-to/article_e4613475-9148-5c1a-a875-9766c71d442a.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

• Like 1

Could you imagine having to go against the Cali HS team that threw Fried, Giolito and Flaherty at ya? Yikes

But I think I like Jack to have the best career outta all of them?

Guy has the stuff, maybe not overtly flashy, but it's effective and he has a deep arsenal. Knows how to pitch.

He's gonna pitch plenty in the bigs at 21 (I believe) this year.

another nice outing yesterday 

5 ip, 1 run, 8k against baltimore who started 5 or so regulars  

Edited by TheWrightStuff

Who does he replace in the rotation, Wacha or Wainwright, Matheny like vets so i'm not sure

With Reyes setting up shop in the bullpen, Jack is there 6th starter and will hone his craft in AAA until someone gets hurt or is ineffective.

Be ready on the wire when his call comes, because once he settles in I bet he sticks.

• Like 1

with wainwright scratched, beat reporter states that flaherty has gotten on the team bus to travel to west palm beach

for today's game at the nats

I’m doing my deep keeper league slow draft right now and this guy just came into the system it seems.

If he performs well, any chance he sticks and doesnt get sent down? Considering picking him up.

8 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

I’m doing my deep keeper league slow draft right now and this guy just came into the system it seems.

If he performs well, any chance he sticks and doesnt get sent down? Considering picking him up.

I doubt keeping him up after Wainwright gets back would be the intention. Martinez, Wainwright, Weaver, Wacha and Mikolas is their rotation, and Wainwright will certainly get a chance after he heals. But, it's baseball, someone else could get hurt in the meantime, or Mikolas could be a huge bust. I added him where I could just in case stuff happens and he does well and a further opening presents itself.

Edited by Caelum

51 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

Matheny is quite loyal to his players so I doubt he'll bench Waino once he's healthy. I have no idea how long the leash is going to be for Mikolas though. 

Flaherty  a plus plus slide piece and is much younger and more MLB proven than Mikolas.  Won't be surprised to see Waino miss most of April and thus grant Fkaherty enough time to supplant Mikolas.

3 hours ago, STLSU said:

Flaherty  a plus plus slide piece and is much younger and more MLB proven than Mikolas.  Won't be surprised to see Waino miss most of April and thus grant Fkaherty enough time to supplant Mikolas.

His first three starts could be the Brewers twice and the Reds. 

I think ill pass. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S1mcity said:

His first three starts could be the Brewers twice and the Reds. 

I think ill pass. 

I agree,no thanks

Sort of surprised people aren't more excited here. NL pitcher who did exceedingly well at AAA and has improved his arsenal in the offseason. Underlying spring skills (swinging strike rates, for example) were exceptionally good.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

Sort of surprised people aren't more excited here. NL pitcher who did exceedingly well at AAA and has improved his arsenal in the offseason. Underlying spring skills (swinging strike rates, for example) were exceptionally good.

Hype in the industry? I agree, although the perceived temporary nature of his callup probably tempers most.

Hype on this messageboard? Well, you'll need one of the long form writeups by the half dozen college kids looking for work in the industry. The Wainwright injury was so late in camp, might not happen.

Personally I like the lack of hype due to his SSS performance last year.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

Sometimes prospects are weird.  They have to show people good numbers for the hype train to continue once they get called up.  Flaherty's spring numbers such as ERA aren't stellar and he was bombed last year in a brief stint.  He does have a slight bb problem and backed into a rotation start.  Most aren't looking at the underlying stuff.  There's still a lot to get excited about, especially at his price.  Guys like Mahle, Glasnow, Reynaldo have been going before him recently which is a little dumb.  

Look at Amed Rosario.  Almost universal top 5 prospect last year and barely gets drafted in the top 250 this season.  

Edited by kidtwentytwo
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Sometimes prospects are weird.  They have to show people good numbers for the hype train to continue once they get called up.  Flaherty's spring numbers such as ERA aren't stellar and he was bombed last year in a brief stint.  He does have a slight bb problem and backed into a rotation start.  Most aren't looking at the underlying stuff.  There's still a lot to get excited about, especially at his price.  Guys like Mahle, Glasnow, Reynaldo have been going before him recently which is a little dumb.  

Look at Amed Rosario.  Almost universal top 5 prospect last year and barely gets drafted in the top 250 this season.  

How is it dumb when he didn't even have a rotation spot and was sent to the minors?

Cards GM maybe, I stress maybe, left the door open a little if Flaherty does well:

“We are totally comfortable with Jack taking starts out of the chute here. Hopefully, it’s only one or two starts, and Waino is back. But I suspect Jack will do everything he can to make it a tough decision as to what we do when Waino is back.”

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/injuries-to-wainwright-gregerson-spark-questions-about-pitchers-sprinting/article_5534f69f-45e3-5d9d-8400-c04afb372ae9.html

8 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

How is it dumb when he didn't even have a rotation spot and was sent to the minors?

A little 

He's talented, being given an opportunity, and he's dirt cheap.

Worse case scenario is you drop him for someone else come May. What's not to like?

• Like 1