bbythepier

Jack Flaherty 2018 Outlook

I'm not going to try and read the mind of the Cardinals organization when it comes to the safety of his rotation spot, because they have proven to be quite irrational. 

But as far as Jack's performance today, wow. He threw a heavy mix of pitches and handled business. Flaherty looks great and I can only hope that they keep him around from here on out as a regular. 

21 minutes ago, bank said:

I'm not going to try and read the mind of the Cardinals organization when it comes to the safety of his rotation spot, because they have proven to be quite irrational. 

But as far as Jack's performance today, wow. He threw a heavy mix of pitches and handled business. Flaherty looks great and I can only hope that they keep him around from here on out as a regular. 

hopefully his arm didn't go dead after 120 pitches today! geez! 

28 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

hopefully his arm didn't go dead after 120 pitches today! geez! 

This week marked the 20 year Anniversary of two games pitched by Greg Maddux.

The first game he went 10 innings, threw ~135 pitches and won 1-0.

Six days later he went 10 2/3 innings and lost 1-0 - throwing 167 pitches

My how times have changed

Edited by IlliniGuy76
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Guys like Maddux and Ryan were freaks even among their own era. 

27 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

30 years ago. Times have certainly changed. I remember David Cone back in the early 90's going out every five days and throwing  130-150 pitches. 

To stay on subject here though, I hope this kid sticks in the rotation for the ROS. 

Now that Reyes is a lock to join the rotation in a week or so who gets bumped when Martinez is activated?? Is John the odd man out?? 

26 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Now that Reyes is a lock to join the rotation in a week or so who gets bumped when Martinez is activated?? Is John the odd man out?? 

Weaver is doing well as of late. I do think Jack is the odd man out. 

There has been a lot of chatter about him being sent back to the minors in favor of Lopez. I find that hard to believe given that he just got 13 K's his last game. But still, that looming threat prevented me from picking him up until this morning. How are fellow Flaherty owners feeling about him?

3 minutes ago, InMyBagYo said:

There has been a lot of chatter about him being sent back to the minors in favor of Lopez. I find that hard to believe given that he just got 13 K's his last game. But still, that looming threat prevented me from picking him up until this morning. How are fellow Flaherty owners feeling about him?

Chatter where and what is their reasoning?  

7 minutes ago, InMyBagYo said:

Lopez? Who the hell is Lopez?

• Like 1

Just now, High&Inside said:

I’m sure he means Reyes. And why is Flaherty still available in ANY league?

1 minute ago, High&Inside said:

Just now, countingcrow said:

I’m sure he means Reyes. And why is Flaherty still available in ANY league?

I meant Reyes, my bad. And maybe because of his volatile roster status. Martinez is coming off the DL soon, so maybe people are figuring Flaherty will get demoted? His ownership rate is still barely above 50%. I'm not sure though, I figured he would be worth the flier in case he stays. 

5 minutes ago, InMyBagYo said:

I meant Reyes, my bad. And maybe because of his volatile roster status. Martinez is coming off the DL soon, so maybe people are figuring Flaherty will get demoted? His ownership rate is still barely above 50%. I'm not sure though, I figured he would be worth the flier in case he stays. 

I have Reyes on the DL and am hoping they both stay - but unless they go to a 6 man it's probably going to be one of the two - Weaver and Wacha maybe could be in the mix, but everyone is pretty much performing.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 3:48 PM, Philoumenos said:

Maybe. I just think it's a less ideal option out of the available ones.

I'd much rather see them go to a six-man rotation. With one arm returning from a recent injury (Martinez), one returning from a long-term injury (Reyes), one holding a chronic injury (Wacha), two young studs (Weaver and Flaherty) and one returning from a shorter season league (Mikolas), I think the six-man option makes more sense.

Because throwing Weaver into the bullpen, just to stick Reyes on the mound with what's going to almost certainly be some kind of innings cap, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. 

Your proposal 100% makes the most sense if they refuse to use Reyes out of the pen.

It's funny that they refuse to use Reyes out of the pen.   This is the org that brilliantly used Waino out of the pen when he was coming back from TJ and STL has a serious need back there now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jahweedum said:

I have Reyes on the DL and am hoping they both stay - but unless they go to a 6 man it's probably going to be one of the two - Weaver and Wacha maybe could be in the mix, but everyone is pretty much performing.

That's the thing I'm grappling with. Even Wacha has rebounded from his early season struggles. If A 6 man rotation is used, it would be better than Flaherty getting demoted though. But he's 51% owned for a reason, but I'm sticking with him for now.  13 K's, a 2.31 ERA, and a 1.03 WHIP should be enough to earn him a permanent rotation spot. But because of his circumstances, he might end up being a drop for me once Reyes comes back. 

If Flaherty pitches well his next time out it will be a much harder decision for Cards brass to send him down. If he gets lit up I can easily see him getting demoted. 

I would hold.  I have a feeling Martinez is going to be out a lot longer than they think.  

• Like 2

If you have both Reyes and Flaherty, I think it's best to continue to hold onto both of them. Like @B&F mentioned, injuries can linger and forced back to the DL. The Cards could take their time with CMart healing up now that Flaherty has been doing well. 

• Like 1

If all 6 starters are healthy, and the Cards opt to go with a 5 man, I hate to say I think Flaherty is the odd man out.  That being said, I think CMart is going to be babied back.  So there's a little time to go.  Even if he is demoted, in deep leagues you should not drop this kid unless you can't spare the roster spot.  Something always happens where teams need that extra starter.  While I don't wish injury upon anyone, who knows if Reyes' elbow holds up at the pro level.  Any tiny twinge he feels and he will be shut down.  That kid is will be handled with extreme care.

I'm going to have to echo the sentiment above, a 6 man rotation is the only way Jack doesn't hit the road back to AAA.

A 6 man would make sense once everyone is healthy. 

Reyes could manage his innings.

Cmart could ease back in after his DL stint.

Wacha has had a checkered injury histroy.

Weaver only pitched 130 innings last year so also needs some mgmt of his innings.

Flaherty and Weaver should get a couple starts before Cmart gets back, I think it's between the two of them right now

Edited by jahweedum
  • Like 1

If he doesnt get sent down, any idea on what kind of innings limit he'll be looking at this year? I'm trying to make some roster decisions while keeping the postseason in mind.

2015 - 95 innings

2016 -  134 innings 

2017 - 170 innings 

So far this year he is at 61 innings and it’s almost 1/3 over. I don’t see why he can’t go 180 innings total with room for more. 

• Like 2

At this point, you have to think that this kid sticks in the rotation, and Weaver is the odd man out.  That could change if either pitches well/poorly in the next couple of starts before a decision has to be made.