bbythepier

Jack Flaherty 2018 Outlook

26 minutes ago, GratefulPhan said:

what's the latest on cmart and his injury anybody know? flaherty up for one or two starts?

As of yesterday CMart had not participated in any physical activity since going on the DL according to Jay Paris from MLB.com. 

On 5/11/2018 at 10:54 PM, wahoos1 said:

Just one probably, depends on CMart

Also depends on Jack. If he looks good, you’d have to think he’ll earn another start at least, to prove himself again. Weaver and Waino look like crap. 

2 minutes ago, MugsyBogues said:

Also depends on Jack. If he looks good, you’d have to think he’ll earn another start at least, to prove himself again. Weaver and Waino look like crap. 

You'd think that, but the Cardinals are pretty stubborn. I won't believe he's getting another start until he throws his first pitch of the second start. And even then I'd doubt it.

• Like 2

Just now, jahweedum said:

Is he getting two starts this week? He's up Tuesday so he could possibly go again Sunday

maybe more...

Derrick GooldVerified account @dgoold 6m6 minutes ago

Wainwright is headed back to STL, likely. Concern grows as he feels renewed pain in right elbow. Story soon at http://StlToday.com . #stlcards]

http://www.stltoday.com/

More

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, WTP333 said:

maybe more...

Derrick GooldVerified account @dgoold 6m6 minutes ago

Wainwright is headed back to STL, likely. Concern grows as he feels renewed pain in right elbow. Story soon at http://StlToday.com . #stlcards]

http://www.stltoday.com/

More

I've never hoped for a player to be injured more than now. I'm ashamed but yearning. Conflicting. ?

• Like 1

Jack has gotta be in the rotation ROS if they’re serious about winning...

Waino done and hurt, it’s just over

Trying to re-add JF where I can and make trades.

(Dropped earlier due to roster issues)

UPDATE: Adam Wainwright likely headed for DL, felt renewed pain in his right elbow, had to deal with dip in velocity -- and that was just the first three innings for #stlcards in loss to #Padres: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/cardinals-keep-gant-available-as-wainwright-makes-return-to-rotation/article_0921c606-c40c-502b-a4f6-6cfd3c91e0bb.html  #Cardinals #MLB

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

Jack has gotta be in the rotation ROS if they’re serious about winning...

Waino done and hurt, it’s just over

Trying to re-add JF where I can and make trades.

(Dropped earlier due to roster issues)

The fact that Carp sat for three games this weekend makes me optimistic that they're not going to keep playing washed up vets at the expense of better youth. I'm not convinced yet, but hopeful, and that applies to Jack as well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Philoumenos said:

The fact that Carp sat for three games this weekend makes me optimistic that they're not going to keep playing washed up vets at the expense of better youth. I'm not convinced yet, but hopeful, and that applies to Jack as well.

Yeah, but as it stands right now they have two open spots in the rotation right now, Flaherty has to stick for a little bit at least.

I don't really understand the Jack Flaherty hype.  Though I did pick him up in 1 league where I lack SP depth.  He was never a top Prospect.  Minor league numbers look good but not great.  Generally killed in a very limited stint in the majors combined 2017/2018.

• Confused 2

2017 - 2.18 ERA/1.04 WHIP, 14 Wins, 9 K/9

2018 - 2.27 ERA/0.92 WHIP, 11.7 K/9

Has had dominant minor league games this year, good home ballpark, good team. 1st Round pick

Those MiLB numbers don't cut it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, jahweedum said:

Is he getting two starts this week? He's up Tuesday so he could possibly go again Sunday

They haven't announced a Sunday starter yet but it would appear that he should get 2 starts this week considering they have no off-days between Tuesday and Sunday.

10 hours ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

2017 - 2.18 ERA/1.04 WHIP, 14 Wins, 9 K/9

2018 - 2.27 ERA/0.92 WHIP, 11.7 K/9

Has had dominant minor league games this year, good home ballpark, good team. 1st Round pick

Those MiLB numbers don't cut it?

Don't forget that's in the PCL as well!! Second in the league in ERA, first in WHIP among starters. 

But yeah pretty mediocre numbers...

Cards are finally being forced to be saved from their own stupidity by injuries.

Super excited to see what this kid can do ROS. Unlike most young pitchers, he shouldn't be on an innings cap either - which means a potential fantasy asset for playoffs.

16 hours ago, Stallion said:

Super excited to see what this kid can do ROS. Unlike most young pitchers, he shouldn't be on an innings cap either - which means a potential fantasy asset for playoffs.

ROS?

Is he?
What about Reyes?

17 minutes ago, JCD said:

ROS?

Is he?
What about Reyes?

Flaherty will slide into Wainwright's spot ROS (unless he is abysmal) and when Reyes is ready, he should replace Weaver (who has been extremely ineffective) or Wacha. Reyes could also fit in the bullpen. Flaherty has nothing left to prove in minors, he's earned this start and a decent leash.

Wasn't spectacular yesterday but effective. A lot of pitches were justttt outside the strikezone.

Unfortunately he was one out away from a QS, but gave up 3 singles and one earn run in the 6th after 2 outs.

8 minutes ago, Pa.style said:

Wasn't spectacular yesterday but effective. A lot of pitches were justttt outside the strikezone.

Unfortunately he was one out away from a QS, but gave up 3 singles and one earn run in the 6th after 2 outs.

And I'll take that right now. He's good, but still a work in progress.

As you all have said and acknowledged, it wasn't an incredible start, but it was promising. 

Now I know he isn't the BEST benchmark, but Joe Mauer is the type of hitter I use as a reference point when it comes to young pitchers. Both times he approached and battled back beautifully against Mauer, and left me feeling fairly confident about the potential. Flaherty's inability to get the final out in the 6th inning was slightly frustrating though, especially in the fashion that it happened (rather, didn't). 

25 minutes ago, chrisrfu said:

Waino is transferred to the 60-day DL, looks like Flaherty will be here to stay a little while longer. 

Source: https://www.mlb.com/news/carson-kelly-on-dl-wainwright-goes-to-60-day/c-277132112

Excellent. This atleast makes it a little more difficult for the Cardinals to shoot themselves in the foot with their decision-making . 

1 hour ago, chrisrfu said:

Waino is transferred to the 60-day DL, looks like Flaherty will be here to stay a little while longer. 

Source: https://www.mlb.com/news/carson-kelly-on-dl-wainwright-goes-to-60-day/c-277132112

Thank goodness.

At the very worst, once C-Mart is healthy and Reyes is ready, maybe Reyes bumps him to the bullpen? He might be a real nice piece there anyways. Hope he cements himself in the rotation instead though.

I think they said Reyes will start when he's ready, so he could take Flaherty spot when Cmart is back. I picked him up and hope he sticks in the rotation ROS.  This kid has some upside.