bbythepier

Jack Flaherty 2018 Outlook

People here seem pretty mixed on him. Most of the things I've read peg him as high floor, mid-rotation arm at peak.

Now that it looks like he's up for some time, what line ROS can we expect??

1 minute ago, harmoam said:

People here seem pretty mixed on him. Most of the things I've read peg him as high floor, mid-rotation arm at peak.

Now that it looks like he's up for some time, what line ROS can we expect??

Now that the yo-yo effect is over, his comfort level will develop and the K’s will come. He’s a really good pitcher.

Dealing right now...

7.0 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 11 K 

Hello haters!

Pick him up wherever you can, kid has major skills.

Edited by yung lxrd

13 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

But will he stay

Waino 60 day

I believe Reyes is available 5/28

He may be their 3rd best SP in the organization... if the Cards wanna win this year they need to stick with him.

Sorry Weaver or Wacha

Yea, I would avoid starting this kid in his next start. 120 pitches, Matheny trying to ruin him. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

Waino 60 day

He may be their 3rd best SP in the organization... if the Cards wanna win this year they need to stick with him.

Sorry Weaver or Wacha

I agree but not sure what the cards will do. 

Disgraceful. With Reyes coming up, Flaherty becomes expendable so why don't we just kill the guy's arm while he's up. 

120 pitches all easy.  Flaherty is the real deal.  Had him on my teams since last year.  Any pitcher that has this type of command gets on my teams quick.  My view of command is an insane K/BB ratio and he had that in AAA last year.  Similarly Beeks and Bieber have this type of command.  Beeks is already on my teams and Bieber will be too once he is added on ESPN.   QS, ERA, and WHIP winners/dominators.

120 pitches in 7.2 innings of work.

What's the big deal?

It's not like it was the 5th inning and he was struggling, and they left him out there to die. 

He had 3 baserunners. C'mon people.

• Like 1

Flaherty will stay in the rotation.  Reyes will build up arm strength in the pen.  There is plenty of room for these guys to both stay on the team.  Gregerson is done.  Lyons is done.  Under performers can stay on the DL.  Also, don't be surprised to see the DL used to freshen up some arms; it's a long season and the Dodgers used the DL well last year to keep arms fresh.

9 minutes ago, mthdmn said:

Disgraceful. With Reyes coming up, Flaherty becomes expendable so why don't we just kill the guy's arm while he's up. 

Lol, relax dude.

3 minutes ago, FJZ12 said:

Flaherty will stay in the rotation.  Reyes will build up arm strength in the pen.  There is plenty of room for these guys to both stay on the team.  Gregerson is done.  Lyons is done.  Under performers can stay on the DL.  Also, don't be surprised to see the DL used to freshen up some arms; it's a long season and the Dodgers used the DL well last year to keep arms fresh.

Reyes will not be in the pen to start. That is insanity. "Build up arm strength"? Have you paid any attention to his recovery? He's more than ready. It would be irresponsible to shift him to the pen after he's utterly dominated his rehab assignment. He's been throwing off of a mound for months. His strength is there.

Edited by blinkfan77
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, mthdmn said:

Lol what?

9 minutes ago, blinkfan77 said:

Reyes will not be in the pen to start. That is insanity. "Build up arm strength"? Have you paid any attention to his recovery? He's more than ready. It would be irresponsible to shift him to the pen after he's utterly dominated his rehab assignment. He's been throwing off of a mound for months. His strength is there.

I'm from St. Louis so if he starts and dominates that would be a huge bonus.  What I do see is issues in the pen; the Cardinals could have 5 more wins and 5 fewer losses if they had a stronger pen.  Gregerson has cost them wins and so has Holland.  Cardinals have some of the best starting pitching so far this season.  It doesn't seem like it because of the issues with Waino and with Martinez hitting the DL recently.  To play a strong 9 it may be better to have Reyes in the pen at least initially until Wacha eventually loses it as he tends to do in June or July.

6 minutes ago, FJZ12 said:

I'm from St. Louis so if he starts and dominates that would be a huge bonus.  What I do see is issues in the pen; the Cardinals could have 5 more wins and 5 fewer losses if they had a stronger pen.  Gregerson has cost them wins and so has Holland.  Cardinals have some of the best starting pitching so far this season.  It doesn't seem like it because of the issues with Waino and with Martinez hitting the DL recently.  To play a strong 9 it may be better to have Reyes in the pen at least initially until Wacha eventually loses it as he tends to do in June or July.

I don't believe it will be better. The Cards President of Baseball Ops has said so himself. They don't want him back and fourth in the pen. Reyes's  health is of paramount concern here. Not the bullpen.

Edited by blinkfan77

49 minutes ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

Waino 60 day

Sorry Weaver or Wacha

The problem is that Wacha might not be able to go to the bullpen (that's long been a theory about the nature of his injury and how irregular workloads would impact it), which would mean Weaver must go to the pen or back to AAA. 

Frankly, that feels kind of unfair to Luke since he's been pretty solid. I guess he could provide long-innings from the pen, which the Cards probably need since they lack long solid, middle or setup guys in the vein of a Miller, Garrett or Hader type. 

38 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

120 pitches in 7.2 innings of work.

What's the big deal?

It's not like it was the 5th inning and he was struggling, and they left him out there to die. 

He had 3 baserunners. C'mon people.

The big deal is probably that it's the most pitches he's ever thrown in his professional career, and they already had a sizable need, so putting extra work on the arm probably wasn't super wise.

If the bullpen is that bad that they need to burn a 22 year old's arm for 120 pitches in a 5-1 game, they've got serious issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Philoumenos said:

The problem is that Wacha might not be able to go to the bullpen (that's long been a theory about the nature of his injury and how irregular workloads would impact it), which would mean Weaver must go to the pen or back to AAA. 

I am sure the Cardinals brain trust is thinking without any doubt, "Ok."

27 minutes ago, B&F said:

I am sure the Cardinals brain trust is thinking without any doubt, "Ok."

Maybe. I just think it's a less ideal option out of the available ones.

I'd much rather see them go to a six-man rotation. With one arm returning from a recent injury (Martinez), one returning from a long-term injury (Reyes), one holding a chronic injury (Wacha), two young studs (Weaver and Flaherty) and one returning from a shorter season league (Mikolas), I think the six-man option makes more sense.

Because throwing Weaver into the bullpen, just to stick Reyes on the mound with what's going to almost certainly be some kind of innings cap, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. 

That probably won't happen though, because the six-man rotation has reportedly been floated before, and the players whined about it and pushed against the idea. So whatever, Weaver to the pen for a longman/middle innings/tandem starter guy, Flaherty to stay in the rotation I guess.

Edited by Philoumenos
  • Thanks 1