Sign in to follow this  
Gus Chiggins

Cole Tucker SS Pirates

Tucker could be a sneaky dynasty target. Former first round pick and 21 years old, combined for 6 homers and 47 steals between A+ and AA in 2017. 10% walk rate in both leagues with below average K%. He is 6'3 185 and has the frame to develop more power.

Eric Longenhagen (Fangraphs):

"Tucker’s (upside) is substantial if he can settle into a physical goldilocks zone that allows him to remain at shortstop while also growing into power. He has the frame for it at a wide-shouldered, thick-assed 6-foot-3, 185 pounds, and has become more authoritative with the bat in the two years since signing."

"I’m inclined to project Tucker to third base based on the discussions I’ve had with four-corners area scouts who have seen his body develop over the past several years, and I do think the power will come. The ceiling here is substantial..."

It should be noted that Tucker has been invited to Pirates camp this spring and is working at SS.

• Like 3

On 5/13/2018 at 9:15 PM, thecomebackkid907 said:

Hoping Newman can make the jump to the bigs this year and open AAA up for Tucker

Gonna need to do something at AA first...

Had a nice AFL. Any chance he breaks into a major league role this year? Mercer, Frazier and Kang don’t seem like huge obstacles to crack the infield.  

With an everyday role the speed alone makes him fantasy relevant, and he seems to have a better fundamental plate approach than other empty speed guys.

• Like 1

Off to a hot start at AAA, slashing 340/411/560 with 4 SB and 2 HR. He also had 2 HR in spring training.

Eric Longenhagen of Fangraphs said he sees some significant upside in his daily prospect notes on April 11.

Readers are often looking for a prospect outside the top 50 who might break out and move near the top of our overall list. My answer to that question is typically some big, projectable teenager who I expect to experience sizable physical growth. Tucker is rare in that he’s also a viable answer to this question even though he turns 23 this summer. Having answered once-relevant, shoulder-related questions about his arm strength, Tucker is now seen as a plus-gloved shortstop who has good feel for contact. But because he still has this big, seemingly unfinished frame on him, we think it’s possible that he comes into power a little late, and he might take a sizable leap. A source indicated to me that Tucker looks noticeably bigger and stronger this year. He hit for power during the first week of the season, and his batted ball data should be monitored for a possible indicator that he’s made a mechanical adjustment, too.

Hit his 3rd HR tonight.

I'll make a bold prediction: Cole Tucker will reach double-digit HR and SB in MLB this season.

Pittsburgh is currently starting Erik Gonzalez at SS, so Tucker has a pretty clear path to a full-time job. The Pirates are a frugal small-market team, so they could hold him down all year, but if he keeps hitting I like to think he'll be up after Super 2. The steals shouldn't be hard for him at that point. Ten homers may be a stretch, but not impossible if his new-found power isn't a fluke.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Hit his 3rd HR tonight.

I'll make a bold prediction: Cole Tucker will reach double-digit HR and SB in MLB this season.

Pittsburgh is currently starting Erik Gonzalez at SS, so Tucker has a pretty clear path to a full-time job. The Pirates are a frugal small-market team, so they could hold him down all year, but if he keeps hitting I like to think he'll be up after Super 2. The steals shouldn't be hard for him at that point. Ten homers may be a stretch, but not impossible if his new-found power isn't a fluke.

Would be stunned if he was up before the Super 2. Pittsburgh almost never sacrifices that extra year of control. 

With that said, if they keep winning despite the putrid offense, it may force their hand. 

I just drafted him in a NL Scoresheet sup draft on Thursday! He had been owned for a few years and not protected this winter. Nobody including me grabbed him in our main draft this winter. 

5 hours ago, LoGo said:

Would be stunned if he was up before the Super 2. Pittsburgh almost never sacrifices that extra year of control. 

With that said, if they keep winning despite the putrid offense, it may force their hand. 

^^^This guy is an idiot^^^

🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

Who is Tucker comparable to currently in the MLB? Tim Anderson?  Whit Merrifield?

6 hours ago, dorsett33 said:

Who is Tucker comparable to currently in the MLB? Tim Anderson?  Whit Merrifield?

Don’t think he’s anywhere near the talent of either of those guys (Merrifield is a stud and Anderson has been legit on fire).

I think he’s a poor mans andrus (not bad, but not Merrifield level)

14 hours ago, LoGo said:

They already have the year of team control

Erik Gonzalez has a broken collarbone and is looking at missing up to 2 months. What are the chances this guys sticks around even after Erik comes back. He profiles as a better defender than Erik but they both have the same batting profile just with more actualized speed it seems.

2 minutes ago, arthurpete said:

Erik Gonzalez has a broken collarbone and is looking at missing up to 2 months. What are the chances this guys sticks around even after Erik comes back. He profiles as a better defender than Erik but they both have the same batting profile just with more actualized speed it seems.

as long as he doesn't completely bust he should stick

2 hours ago, arthurpete said:

Kevin Newman is due back from the IL soon. If Tucker isn't demoted when he comes back in a few days, then Tucker is here to stay and will be starting 

I was practically begging the forum to talk me into taking a flier on this guy in my 2 preseason posts above, after noone talked about him since May of 2018... crickets... took the silence to mean there was in fact “nothing to see here”...shame on me.  

(Not that he is guaranteed to be a star or anything but sometimes it is nice to have some guys in the rookie portfolio who aren’t as highly touted as the toolsey teen types but have a solid foundation and clear path to playing time in the near term.)

• Like 1