SpecialFNK

Joc Pederson 2018 Outlook

what should we expect from Joc in 2018?

this from pitcherlist..

I want Pederson to put it all together so badly. So so badly. I want that guy who flashed 30/30 ability in the minors, but it just hasn’t happened. Last year was by far his most disappointing season yet. At least before last year, you could hang your hat on probably 25 home runs from him, even if the average was pitiful, but you didn’t even get that last year. Pederson saw a major drop in hard-hit rate from 38.7% to 33% and a drop in HR/FB rate from 23.1% to 15.5%. On the plus side, his plate discipline improved, dropping his strikeout rate from 27.3% to 21.1% and his chase rate from 27.5% to 24.9%, but I’m still not optimistic about his prospects. I don’t know why we should expect anything other than a .220s average from him, and if that drop in hard-hit rate remains, the power prospects aren’t good either. I’m hopeful the 20+ home runs will come back, and obviously there’s the potential he’ll somehow magically put it all together, but I don’t know that you can expect much from Pederson this year. I also wouldn’t be shocked if he gets platooned with Enrique Hernandez.

this from cbs..

2017 was an up-and-down year for Joc Pederson. The outfielder hit .241/.361/.466 with nine homers in the first half before a .156/.253/.312 start to the second half led to his demotion to Triple-A Oklahoma City in the middle of August. His struggles continued for the remainder of the regular season (at Triple-A and with the Dodgers), and he finished out the second half with a .162/.278/.303 line in 43 games. Pederson turned things around in the postseason, however, hitting .304/.360/.826 with three homers in the final two series after being left off the NLDS roster. Most of his opportunities came against right-handed pitching last season due to his struggles against same-handed pitching, and given the depth that the Dodgers possess in the outfield, it's hard to see that changing in 2018. Still, he's a solid source of power late in drafts and is even more intriguing in leagues where OBP is used in place of batting average.

81 R,  26 HR, 74 RBI,  7 SB, .241 AVG.

Too early to give up on him based on his age. Especially in OBP leagues. But he really needs to be on a new team. 

14 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

Too early to give up on him based on his age. Especially in OBP leagues. But he really needs to be on a new team. 

I agree it's too early to give up on him, but I'm not willing to take a chance on him. For the BA he's going to be bringing to the table, I need elite-level HR/RBI or R/SB or something. I'm not stomaching that BA for 25-30 HR and 70ish RBI. And he definitely won't produce R/SB. So I'll hope someone in my league will reach for him based on the name...but I doubt they will. 

I doubt he plays against lefties, they have Kemp who is more than capable

5 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

He should be an ok add on Mondays and Thursdays when you need a waiver hitter fill in.

If he happens to be facing a RHP that is.

Edited by cs3

I thought he would have some veryyyy cheap value in OBP leagues but now I'm concerned Kemp plays even more than expected over him.

Plus Andrew Toles is still around (for now). 

I remember drafting him last year. He had 5 rbi on opening day and I thought I had a steal on my hands. I think he finished with like 12 rbi for the year (or so it felt)

• Haha 1

On 2/24/2018 at 4:26 PM, SpecialFNK said:

this from pitcherlist..

this from cbs..

That CBS projection is ludicrous.

81, 26, 74, 7 & .241?

None of the projection models on Fangraphs have him anywhere near those numbers.

I'm in 8 yahoo leagues and he wasn't drafted in any league or picked up as a free agent and held.

Is he starting to get a little playing time and will he hit?

More PT coming with Puig shelved? Intrigued in OBP leagues.

11 hours ago, swfcdan said:

1 of the worst managers in baseball so doubt it.

21 hours ago, swfcdan said:

Indeed 

Seager's injury will open the door for more playing time for Joc as well.

• Like 1

Apparently his K rate is down 6% from last year. At 7% Yahoo ownership, I'm buying in any league that isn't a shallow 10 teamer. I'm a big fan of post-hype breakout guys who have elite pedigree.

Yeah I'm hoping this is more than a flash

Is he too old for the "It's Happening" gif ? 

• Haha 1

At the very least, I think it's worth riding the wave. I mean, given his history it's more likely than not that he eventually cools off but he's great to own when he actually decides to show why he was considered a top prospect once upon a time.

He should be starting over Puig in right.

In 2014 his k-rate was almost 30%

Last year his k-rate was 21%

His K-rate right now? 14%

That's growth. Pick him up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Weekday Warrior said:

Still just a platoon bat sitting vs lefties, right?  If so, tough to use in weekly formats

Yea that is a big issue.  But if he is batting leadoff he definitely still has value in most leagues.

Couple games like this week and all the sudden platoon is over

57 minutes ago, hard1 said:

Couple games like this week and all the sudden platoon is over

I'd like to see the platoon continue for now. Let him build that confidence back up crushing RHP. Maybe give him the occasional start against a LHP if they face 2 or 3 in a row, but I don;'t want to see this guy thrown into a lineup facing Bumgarner, Lester or Corbin.

• Like 1