SpecialFNK

Joc Pederson 2018 Outlook

Great value in daily leagues. Going to suffer a severe lack of PAs otherwise it seems. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, taobball said:

Great value in daily leagues. Going to suffer a severe lack of PAs otherwise it seems. 

Curious your thoughts aside from playing time concerns. Are we seeing signs of a breakout or is this just a hot streak?

4 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Curious your thoughts aside from playing time concerns. Are we seeing signs of a breakout or is this just a hot streak?

loved Joc last year for many of the reasons we're seeing right now. Specifically that he had an underrated contact gain that wasn't getting made too much of. Now we're finally seeing the fruit of that in his K%. The power has never been in doubt. And that K% is obviously aided by no LHPs.

I think Joc can be a .270-.290 hitter who has, compared to a full season's worth of PAs, 30-35 HRs v. RHP. I still don't have faith in him being better than he has been to date v. LHP, but Joc got hurt last year, and I was kind've expecting a drop in K%... which I say just to say that... I can buy into the lack of Ks, because I really did think they were going to come down last year. 

• Thanks 1

I still don't think Joc does enough to be a fantasy asset.

Platoon players who club HRs are a freaking dime a dozen in today's landscape.

Now if Joc had some position eligibility or could steal some bags, then I'd be interested.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

I still don't think Joc does enough to be a fantasy asset.

Platoon players who club HRs are a freaking dime a dozen in today's landscape.

Now if Joc had some position eligibility or could steal some bags, then I'd be interested.

Yea I pretty much agree with this. He's very good v RHP and the contact gains are interesting. But the platoon vs LHP kinda kills his value. He's a very good option if he's got a good stretch of hittable RHP lined up but he's probably not a guy youre going to want to carry for long stretches. He's a bit like Matt Adams in that respect. Also he's hitting 7th tonight v Anibal Sanchez which seems really odd considering how well he's been hitting lately. 

He’s never going to figure out how to hit lefties. That ship has sailed. He’s basically Kyle Schwarber in a worse lineup.

14 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

He’s never going to figure out how to hit lefties. That ship has sailed. He’s basically Kyle Schwarber in a worse lineup.

I think he has had like 250 ab’s versus lefties. I know he hasn’t been good against them but is that really a fair shot against them?

46 minutes ago, dilly3307 said:

I think he has had like 250 ab’s versus lefties. I know he hasn’t been good against them but is that really a fair shot against them?

Yes, because he’s been so bad vs. LHP that he won’t get many opportunities to face them.

He hit LHPs in the minors pretty well.  I think he just needs more of an opportunity which there is an outside chance he gets with Enrique Hernandez struggling.  Holding.

51 minutes ago, B&F said:

He hit LHPs in the minors pretty well.  I think he just needs more of an opportunity which there is an outside chance he gets with Enrique Hernandez struggling.  Holding.

They seem set on keeping him away from LHP this year though. Only 2 ABs yesterday before being pulled. I'll say it again though - I don't hate it. If he mashes RHP I don't mind playing matchups and filling his slot with someone else when they face LHP. It will suck if the trend continues where the lefty comes in to face him in the 6th however.

One of the problems is that even when you start Joc against RHP, its almost guaranteed that he either faces a lefty reliever in any close game, or he gets pich hit for. And we know he can't lefties AT ALL.

16 minutes ago, castaway98 said:

Based on ESPN's schedule, 8 of the Dodgers' next 13 against LHP.

That could be a problem. Likely gonna sit most of those 8 and probably be relegated to pitch hitting or to replace someone (kike) later in the game. Worst thing about that is it could mess with his rhythm. Hard to get in a groove if you are sitting every other game.

5 minutes ago, cs3 said:

One of the problems is that even when you start Joc against RHP, its almost guaranteed that he either faces a lefty reliever in any close game, or he gets pich hit for. And we know he can't lefties AT ALL.

Yup this is exactly the problem. This is the guy in the lineup you save your lefty to face. Unless the SP is pitching well he will likely see the lefty in his 3rd plate appearance in the game which means you might see him have a lot of starts where he only gets 2 ABs. Even if he gets the 3rd that's still not great when you consider he is leading off and probably looking at 5 ABs. Less ABs obviously means less chances to produce. Got to think they give him some chances against lefties if he keeps this up against RHP. Problem is, with every chance he gets to prove he can hit LHP, failing means a step back for him. 

I still think the biggest issue with Joc is confidence. That's why I jump aboard the train every time he does something like this - I don't want to miss it if/when he finally puts it all together.

Why is Hot Joc hitting 8th against Colon ? This is dumb.

14 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

Look who's manager.

• Like 1

On 2018-06-10 at 1:25 PM, corey_rideout said:

still think the biggest issue with Joc is confidence

Tough to have any confidence in yourself when your coach shows he has no confidence in you.

1 hour ago, Jub Jub said:

Joc is loc’d in right now

Joc is cocked, locked, and ready to rock around the clock.

8 hours ago, fletch44 said:

The 8th spot in the Dodgers lineup is a special spot. Yasiel Puig hit 8th most of the time last season when he had that mini breakout.

To bad the Dodgers are about to face a decent amount of lefties the next week.