EmbargoLifted

Gleyber Torres 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

It looks like he's projected to start opening day at 2B. 

 

He seems like a nice 5 cat SS prospect, in a good lineup and ballpark. Thoughts on his fantasy impact this season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

It looks like he's projected to start opening day at 2B. 

 

He seems like a nice 5 cat SS prospect, in a good lineup and ballpark. Thoughts on his fantasy impact this season?

 

I'm also curious about opinions on him. I honestly think he has chance to give the Yankees a second consecutive ROY, and I know Calhoun and Barreto are probably the early leaders. He's going to get to start out in the 9-hole, which limits his ABs, but also limits the pressure on him. And if his nice MiLB OBP translates, he should be able to score a good number or runs, relative to his number of PAs. If he gets 500 ABs, I can see him putting up a 15-15 season with roughly a .270 BA and a .340 OBP. 

 

And of course his AFL numbers are exciting, too: .403-15-3-11-4 in 62 ABs with 14 BBs and 8 K. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Options the Yankees will hold him back maybe a month . 

Not seeing Barreto as a threat . I think he's actually taken a step backwards . I do like Calhoun .

torres is going to be s good one but like most it may take some time . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2018 at 9:53 PM, motown magic said:

With Options the Yankees will hold him back maybe a month .

Yea no way the Yankees give up a year of cost control for the first month of the season of a guy that rebounding a season ending injury.  Even without considering the cost control a month at AAA makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2018 at 7:20 PM, EmbargoLifted said:

It looks like he's projected to start opening day at 2B. 

 

He seems like a nice 5 cat SS prospect, in a good lineup and ballpark. Thoughts on his fantasy impact this season?

Seems like they are going to go with Ronald for a while at 2B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he's available in any of your leagues then now would be a time to pick him up.  Its possible Yankees call him up on Wednesday or Thursday.  Tyler Wade and Andujar have been terrible and Yankees need a spark.  Torres doing well at AAA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Andujar is holding his own. He's putting the bat on the ball. A 25% K rate . Got a double tonight. Doubt Torres gets the call anytime soon. He wasn't ready three weeks ago and he isn't ready now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, motown magic said:

Andujar is holding his own. He's putting the bat on the ball. A 25% K rate . Got a double tonight. Doubt Torres gets the call anytime soon. He wasn't ready three weeks ago and he isn't ready now.

Andujar is batting .129. Gleyber is batting .370 through 7 games.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, motown magic said:

Andujar is holding his own. He's putting the bat on the ball. A 25% K rate . Got a double tonight. Doubt Torres gets the call anytime soon. He wasn't ready three weeks ago and he isn't ready now.

Torres was ready last year.  He needed to shake the rust off after not playing in so long that was all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got to think a major league front office has a better idea who is ready and who isn't better than we do. This isn't about controlling a player . Its about what they think he can do in the majors. So did you expect MA to come out and hit .290 in the majors? Are you really comparing major league stats to minor league stats ? Oh and by the way. look around at the stats of players hitting what MA is hitting that have been around a while. We are two weeks into the season . Its been very cold all over . I own Torres in two leagues I also own MA in three . Of course I want to see both do well. But asking these guys to go into Yankee stadium and perform at a high level right out of the gate is asking too much. Patience.

Edited by motown magic
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, it's about the extra year of control. If he's not up next week (Wednesday is when the extra year kicks in) he'll be up shortly thereafter. They were ready to call him up last year prior to the injury so this isn't a case of the Yankees doubting his readiness and wanting him to spend months at AAA. If he continues to rake, he'll be up very soon. 

Edited by absknicks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is now that Hicks is back thats another bat in the lineup they were missing we won't see Torres before the second week of May. We can speculate as much as we want but in the end its the Yankees that say when isn't it.

Oh and as we throw this around MA has had a two hit night. A double and a triple.

Edited by motown magic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, motown magic said:

Got to think a major league front office has a better idea who is ready and who isn't better than we do. This isn't about controlling a player . Its about what they think he can do in the majors. So did you expect MA to come out and hit .290 in the majors? Are you really comparing major league stats to minor league stats ? Oh and by the way. look around at the stats of players hitting what MA is hitting that have been around a while. We are two weeks into the season . Its been very cold all over . I own Torres in two leagues I also own MA in three . Of course I want to see both do well. But asking these guys to go into Yankee stadium and perform at a high level right out of the gate is asking too much. Patience.

That's why Brian Cashman said Torres would've been up last year had he not got hurt.  He had a bad spring training because he hadn't played in so long after getting TJ surgery in 2017.  He just had to shake the rust off that's all, like I already said.  I didn't compare major league stats to minor league stats, nor did I say anything about "controlling a player."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, neverrelaxed said:

Andujar is batting .129. Gleyber is batting .370 through 7 games.

I didn't say you did. I was responding to this. 

Plus last year is history. you are correct . He did have a bad ST . Plus he's learning a new position or at least getting more accustomed to second base. He'll be up when he's ready and thats when the team says so . Pretty much end of story. You or anybody else can say he is or isn't . Really doesn't matter

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry folks...until he plays in the majors his thread in the MiLB forum is the only place to discuss him. Once he's promoted we'll reopen this thread.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exciting. If he could be in the 1 or 2 hole I'd be ecstatic.

Edited by roscobangs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, roscobangs said:

Exciting. If he could be in the 1 or 2 hole I'd be ecstatic.

 

That won't happen, at least not right away.

 

My guess is he'll hit 8th or 9th tomorrow. 

 

1. Gardner

2. Judge

3. Didi

4. Stanton

5. Sanchez

6. Hicks

7. Walker

8. Andujar/Gleyber

9. Andujar/Gleyber

 

Although they are facing a LHP tomorrow so if Boone wanted to get Gardner a day and give Torres some protection right out of the gate.... it could happen. I just don't think it's that likely. 

Edited by absknicks
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.