EmbargoLifted

Gleyber Torres 2018 Outlook

12 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

I thought this was interesting.

https://www.rotoballer.com/champ-or-chump-teoscar-hernandez-and-gleyber-torres/492179?src=sidebar

simply by being a top prospect for the Yankees and as hyped as he has been, one could sell high and get something really good.

Said someone about Aaron Judge after his 2016 debut batting .179

12 hours ago, wideopen21 said:

Said someone about Aaron Judge after his 2016 debut batting .179

double and a stolen base tonight

He has power and speed (29 ft/s per Statcast). Eventually those tools will show out the more reps he gets. He's only 21 and a lot of the time when these guys are first called up they're just concerned with getting their feet under them and putting the ball in play. They want to show they're not overmatched, once they do that and get more comfortable you see their other skills really start to show. 

12 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

I thought this was interesting.

https://www.rotoballer.com/champ-or-chump-teoscar-hernandez-and-gleyber-torres/492179?src=sidebar

simply by being a top prospect for the Yankees and as hyped as he has been, one could sell high and get something really good.

No, you might think you're selling high but you're really not.

Gleyber is an extraordinary talent with SS/2B eligibility.  Terrific batters eye, great speed, and just really very good at baseball.

11 minutes ago, professorbaseball said:

The big question is... Will Gleyber Torres leadoff soon? Gardner struggling and Hicks inconsistent, Torres looks like a good leadoff right now

Needs to increase his walk rate...which he is starting to do but needs to get even better

2 hours ago, MrBrown said:

Gleyber is an extraordinary talent with SS/2B eligibility.  Terrific batters eye, great speed, and just really very good at baseball.

idk about great speed, doesn't look like his SB pop off the charts in the minors. gets CS alot. 

13 hours ago, professorbaseball said:

The big question is... Will Gleyber Torres leadoff soon? Gardner struggling and Hicks inconsistent, Torres looks like a good leadoff right now

Maybe next year.  Gardner would have to get hurt or slump for another month.  He's a known streaky hitter, and even when slumping, he gets on base a decent clip and scores runs (tied for 2nd in MLB). And even then, Hicks would get the next shot there.

16 hours ago, MrBrown said:

in a keeper league I would feel differently.

if he's not really going to offer much in SB or HR this season then he's not coming close to the hype that he has. the way some have talked about Torres it's as if he is this absolute stud for this season capable of carrying a fantasy team.

he may be fast, but his success rate through the minors has not been that good. going back to the 2015 season then every season that he has had double digit in SB he has also had double digit in CS, and that is in the minors.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=188430

selling "high" would depend on where people were rating/ranking him. if people are thinking he's going to be a star right away then they could overpay to get him.

I'm routing for him. I own him in 2 public non keeper leagues. but if someone was to offer me something that I felt could help me more then I have no problem letting him go.

2 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

if he's not really going to offer much in SB or HR this season then he's not coming close to the hype that he has. the way some have talked about Torres it's as if he is this absolute stud for this season capable of carrying a fantasy team.

he may be fast, but his success rate through the minors has not been that good. going back to the 2015 season then every season that he has had double digit in SB he has also had double digit in CS, and that is in the minors.

selling "high" would depend on where people were rating/ranking him. if people are thinking he's going to be a star right away then they could overpay to get him.

I'm routing for him. I own him in 2 public non keeper leagues. but if someone was to offer me something that I felt could help me more then I have no problem letting him go.

No single player will ever carry a fantasy team.  There are some great SS like Lindor, Correa, and Didi.  Turner and DeJong also.  But after them I can easily see Torres being a Top 6 player with SS eligibility.  Extremely valuable in leagues that start SS, 2B, and MI.

He also has a great batting eye with HR power, so now sure what you're referring to as "not much" in terms of HR.  He doesn't need to steal any bases, that will just be icing on the cake.

He just seems young and small right now - I have him as my backup 2b/ss and am mostly just paying attention to that average for now.  If he could somehow switch places with Gardner some of his counting stats could become much more relevant. 

55 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

I own Torres in my keeper and I never expected huge things this year personally. The pay off is going to be year 3 and so on I feel like. The guy is just 21 and still developing. I’ve seen him being comped as a Correa clone and I never expected yhe stolen bases either. 

Edited by chud12

Is he staying in the majors? I haven't activated him yet because once I do if he goes back to the minors I can't return him to minor league status . I have until Sunday .

10 minutes ago, motown magic said:

Is he staying in the majors? I haven't activated him yet because once I do if he goes back to the minors I can't return him to minor league status . I have until Sunday .

He's here to stay. 100% won't be sent down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2018 at 12:14 AM, professorbaseball said:

Hmmmm everyday he seems like the ideal leadoff...

So what can we expect ROS, hitting in a stacked lineup any chance he moves up even a little. Trying to gauge his value in redraft.

2 minutes ago, wahoos1 said:

So what can we expect ROS, hitting in a stacked lineup any chance he moves up even a little. Trying to gauge his value in redraft.

It'll probably be a while before he moves up but definitely possible.  They won't move him up to 7th or anything, if he moves up it'll be to the top of the lineup.  Right now they're basically using him as a 2nd leadoff hitter.  So when the order wraps up he can be coming up right ahead of the top of their order.

He's got all the tools and a great batting eye.  I hate giving number predictions, but he should  be owned and starting in all leagues and formats.

He looks really solid so far. I’m hoping he ends up hitting around .275 with 17 hr’s and 15 steals by seasons end. 

• Like 1

Only RHH on the Yankees beside Judge/Stanton who can hit it out to that part of the ballpark. Has serious pop. 

• Like 1

this is what I was hoping for, now he's showing some power.