EmbargoLifted

Gleyber Torres 2018 Outlook

4 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

this is what I was hoping for, now he's showing some power.

huh? 

Weren’t you the one who put up a link calling Gleyber a chump?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Some power” - shades of Nomar Mazara Outlook Thread of yesteryear...

• Like 3

13 hours ago, shakestreet said:

huh? 

Weren’t you the one who put up a link calling Gleyber a chump?

yes because at the time he had 0 HR and 0 SB.

I also said this in a follow up post.

in a keeper league I would feel differently.

if he's not really going to offer much in SB or HR this season then he's not coming close to the hype that he has. the way some have talked about Torres it's as if he is this absolute stud for this season capable of carrying a fantasy team.

he may be fast, but his success rate through the minors has not been that good. going back to the 2015 season then every season that he has had double digit in SB he has also had double digit in CS, and that is in the minors.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=188430

selling "high" would depend on where people were rating/ranking him. if people are thinking he's going to be a star right away then they could overpay to get him.

I'm routing for him. I own him in 2 public non keeper leagues. but if someone was to offer me something that I felt could help me more then I have no problem letting him go.

which is why I then said "this is what I was hoping for, now he's showing some power."

20 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

yes because at the time he had 0 HR and 0 SB.

I also said this in a follow up post.

which is why I then said "this is what I was hoping for, now he's showing some power."

What you were hoping for?  You wrote him off after 38 big league ABs, while he was hitting .316/.366/.399  lmfao!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

What you were hoping for?  You wrote him off after 38 big league ABs, while he was hitting .316/.366/.399  lmfao!

I didn't write him off. if I was writing him off I wouldn't own him in 2 leagues.

I would think it should be common sense that if any player is not offering much in HR (or SB) then they are not as valuable. the hype Torres had coming into the season was big which is why people were drafting him. he was seen by some as a must own despite starting the season in the minors. you don't draft a player expected to come up in May (or June) hoping he will have single digits in HR/SB.

Unfair having this kid hit in the bottom of the lineup. I wonder if he'll eventually swap spots in the order with Gardner at some point this season.

24 minutes ago, Cheppy said:

Unfair having this kid hit in the bottom of the lineup. I wonder if he'll eventually swap spots in the order with Gardner at some point this season.

I came to ask more Yankee tuned folks just this.... what exactly has to happen to get him outta 9th and would leadoff be a real possibility this season?  Some obv caveats apply here

3 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

I came to ask more Yankee tuned folks just this.... what exactly has to happen to get him outta 9th and would leadoff be a real possibility this season?  Some obv caveats apply here

It just won’t hapodn this year imo. Gardner has and has earned a long leash and even through his struggles he still draws walks and always grinds out at bats. I’d rather the leave Torres alone and let him do his thing at yhe bottom part of the lu, kid is just 21.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

Oof....it has to be a best case/worst case scenario for Torres and Gardner. The Yankees tend to show respect to their veterans and Gardner is a guy who has not only been there for 10 years, but is the de facto captain. Knocking him down the lineup is only going to happen if he flounders for 2 more months at least, and badly so

• Like 1

I can get behind all that.  From a fantasy perspective,  this team can get crazy interesting with an injury somewhere.  Don't kill me,  just hypothetical.  IF, HUGE IF, Gleyber were to move up at all it would seem to me leadoff is about the only way.  A Gardner or maybe a Didi dl stint could make Gleyber real fun to own this year.  But past that,  i don't see how he really moves at all

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

I didn't write him off. if I was writing him off I wouldn't own him in 2 leagues.

I would think it should be common sense that if any player is not offering much in HR (or SB) then they are not as valuable. the hype Torres had coming into the season was big which is why people were drafting him. he was seen by some as a must own despite starting the season in the minors. you don't draft a player expected to come up in May (or June) hoping he will have single digits in HR/SB.

Gleyber had an ADP of 260. In most redraft leagues you would assume he was drafted between rounds 20-25. When I draft players in those rounds you are taking a CHANCE. with Gleyber it was a guaranteed he was not going to break camp with the club, he was destined to triple A. I do not understand that BIG ... yes he had hype, but also he is 20 years old a rookie you don’t expect to much and you take what you recieve. Well I do but some people think Gleyber might be biggger than life.

42 minutes ago, Cheppy said:

There is nothing wrong with him hitting 9th ... he willl score tons of runs if he hits and he also will knock in a bunch. The Yankees are loaded from top to bottom. 

Yea if you own him in fantasy you want this or that..but we all know the Yankees don’t care about any bodies  fantasy team

1 minute ago, shakestreet said:

There is nothing wrong with him hitting 9th ... he willl score tons of runs if he hits and he also will knock in a bunch. The Yankees are loaded from top to bottom. 

Yea if you own him in fantasy you want this or that..but we all know the Yankees don’t care about any bodies  fantasy team

I never said he's not a viable commodity from a fantasy perspective hitting 9th. Quite the contrary actually. But I wonder if it makes more real baseball sense having him swap spots in the order with Gardner. Either way yeah, they're loaded.

33 minutes ago, Cheppy said:

I never said he's not a viable commodity from a fantasy perspective hitting 9th. Quite the contrary actually. But I wonder if it makes more real baseball sense having him swap spots in the order with Gardner. Either way yeah, they're loaded.

Won’t happen for clubhouse reasons unfortunately 

• Like 1

Just now, Folarin said:

Won’t happen for clubhouse reasons unfortunately 

I'm not even saying to get rid of Gardner necessarily because even with him struggling his OBP is still respectable. Having them swap would give Torres more RBI opportunities while not sacrificing said RBI opportunities for Judge. 

7 minutes ago, Cheppy said:

I'm not even saying to get rid of Gardner necessarily because even with him struggling his OBP is still respectable. Having them swap would give Torres more RBI opportunities while not sacrificing said RBI opportunities for Judge. 

It won’t happen this year it just won’t. From a baseball perspective this year it makes zero sense to add anymore pressure on Torres who is just getting his feet wet in the majors. CAn we get a decent sample size at least of Torres hitting really well, I think he has a shot at moving up to 7 in the order at most this season. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This guy is not a #9 hitter - he will be a #2 soon enough - but he'd fit in real nice at 7 right now.  With the hitters the Yanks have, they don't need Gleyber and Gardner going back to back - working out for now - but the lineup would be stronger with Gleyber hitting earlier as a secondary style contact, leadoff hitter

Multiple catastrophic injuries would have to occur for this kid to bat high in the order.  Just appreciate what he’s doing at the bottom and leave it at that.

• Like 1

eventually Hicks will turn it around and these 2 guys will be recognized by top brass as deserving top 2 lineup positions.  They will outweigh any veteran bias garbage in the clubhouse (which I think is overstated anyway here.  Boone will cede to the best option and management/metrics analysis).

This guy is like a good luck charm for the Yanks.  It's just that type of feeling I got when The Captain came up with youngsters a la Posada and Pettite and the Yanks immediately started asserting their mettle.  Getting that same feel from Torres.  Great real life player and very good fantasy player.

14 minutes ago, Zig Zag said:

Anyone know why he is out of the lineup again today?  

Aaron Boone on NY radio is saying Torres is playing. Typo in the lineup being reported. Make sure to leave him in your lineups.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Aaron Boone on NY radio is saying Torres is playing. Typo in the lineup being reported. Make sure to leave him in your lineups.

Whew, thank goodness.

39 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Any more confirmation on this, before I leave a dead spot in my h2h lineup?