Sign in to follow this  
89Topps

Amir Garrett 2018 Outlook

Garrett's been fantastic lately.  Increased K rate and stingier with the walks (30/7 in 25.2 innings)  thus far.  Great for holds for those using SP for that purpose...  

• Like 1

I wonder why they won’t give this guy a chance to start?

12 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Garrett's been fantastic lately.  Increased K rate and stingier with the walks (30/7 in 25.2 innings)  thus far.  Great for holds for those using SP for that purpose...  

Should cross post this to 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, FUM said:

I think the concern about his hip is a lingering one - out of the bullpen they can manage his innings better. That said, I'm loving the spike in velocity on the FB, and curious as to whether that's better health, being able to dial it up for shorter stints, or both. Getting an Andrew Miller type vibe off him as a multi-inning weapon out of the pen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

Even w/o holds, his low WHIP and ERA are a benefit to any team, not to mentioned that K rate. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FUM said:

The Reds are not going to easily give up on Bailey. Throwing away 44 million over this season and the next is a tough pill to swallow.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2018 at 2:53 AM, Akecheta said:

Even w/o holds, his low WHIP and ERA are a benefit to any team, not to mentioned that K rate. 

Agreed. I just added him for ratio and K boosts. nice to have a middle reliever that helps your ratios and also can almost get as many K's as a low end SP. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2018 at 1:53 AM, Akecheta said:

I think the concern about his hip is a lingering one - out of the bullpen they can manage his innings better. That said, I'm loving the spike in velocity on the FB, and curious as to whether that's better health, being able to dial it up for shorter stints, or both. Getting an Andrew Miller type vibe off him as a multi-inning weapon out of the pen. 

My notes from From Sleeper and Bust Podcast -  He hurt his hip last year and wasn't completing pitches.  ENO - I talked with him he said his hip was hurt, not doing any stretching, landing on hip hurt everytime he landed. Effected command and velocity. His Changeup and 4 seam have the same movement, not much movement but speed difference of 11 mph just like Tyler Clippards (no movement just speed 12 diff and its been very successful) Romano's is only 8 mph slower.  ("11 mph diff makes me stand up and notice") great for GBs, 11% whiffs last year. 4 seam last year was 91mph and it's 94 this spring. Justin - Fantastic 1st 3 starts last season, then mechanics went on downward plane and not same pitcher, went great to blah, Justin- should have figured something was wrong, everything trending in right direction for Amir. Young in development as pitcher b/c part time BB player in college.  Paul - thinks he may be 2-3 inning guy out bullpen not sure he has 5 -6 innings in him.

12 minutes ago, Magnus88 said:

Favorite for save opportunities with Iglesias hurt?

I’d lean Hughes but it’s a coinflip

I picked up Hughes (not that it matters who's on my team but I'll give criteria why I added him):

Yes Garret goes multiple innings and he's a lefty which makes him valuable in his current role.

However Hughes does not strike out many batters whereas Garret does so that's in his favor. Closers are traditionally, but not always, high strikeout pitchers. 

Even if Garret doesn't get the closers role I could see him being helpful for ratios and ks. 

Edited by ktierne3