CurvePirate814

Tyler Glasnow 2018 Outlook

On 2/27/2018 at 7:15 AM, Baseball Jonze said:

Was Randy Johnson insane in AAA but crud in the show? I get how tall pitchers can take longer, but that should mean struggles in the minors as well.

The quality of competition is lower in the minors. Mistakes are punished less often and it is easier to get by on pure "stuff".

Glasnow did have some atrocious BB/9 numbers in the minors.

He's been looking very good so far in Spring Training. Even if he goes to the bullpen, he might be a good stash in case he goes into the rotation with sp/rp eligibility.

3 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Sorry I just can't...

DA9EWrYUAAAQRxX.jpg

Looks like his tattoo artist has similar control issues. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Well today’s outing will turn off some interested owners. That’s the downfall with Glasnow, he can ruin ratios in one of his bad outings

He's starting the season out in the pen most likely. Maybe AAA. Who knows, maybe he will be an elite SP eligible RP for a couple of months 

20 hours ago, bravesfan4life said:

Well today’s outing will turn off some interested owners. That’s the downfall with Glasnow, he can ruin ratios in one of his bad outings

Not just ruin, but completely destroy.   One bad outing by him on your weekly H2H match-ups can completely obliterate any chance you have with ERA and/or WHIP.

20 hours ago, bravesfan4life said:

Not that I think it's actually good for him, but I did want his value to come down a bit. If he was just cruising through ST striking everyone out, there would be a lot less value in his ADP. 

He should correct his flaws in time. It's just a matter if owners want to be patient with him.

5 hours ago, lavaman said:

He should correct his flaws in time. It's just a matter if owners want to be patient with him.

There's going to be a fine line with him. I have a feeling in a lot of leagues it will be the second or even third owner of him that will get the rewards. He will flash in the majors eventually I don't doubt that but just when is anybody's guess

• Like 1

Ive drafted this guy in my keeper league the last two years....I will tell everyone if I pass this year, which means you should buy!

This guy oozes with talent....unfortunately, its anyone's guess when he will pop.

47 minutes ago, TheJuggernautBTCH said:

Ive drafted this guy in my keeper league the last two years....I will tell everyone if I pass this year, which means you should buy!

This guy oozes with talent....unfortunately, its anyone's guess when he will pop.

I feel like I'm in Vegas just eyeing people at slot machines waiting until they get up because they are tired of losing so I can hit their jackpot.  I'm hoping to get some shares this year. 

"

BRADENTON, Fla. — Tyler Glasnow is finally showing signs of being able to throw strikes consistently to major-league hitters, and he's accomplishing that long-elusive goal with a not-so-simple adjustment. The 6-foot-8 right-hander is now throwing his four-seam fastball over the top, rather than allowing his hand to throw the pitch across his body.

The adjustment — which Glasnow was unable to execute at Ray Searage's urging long ago — has given the former top prospect more control on natural late cutting action. The Rays discovered on Saturday afternoon how difficult it can be to hit an unpredictable, sometimes-sweeping fastball moving at 98 mph.

Pitching in relief for the first time this spring, Glasnow struck out six, walked none and allowed two earned runs on five hits in 3 2/3 innings of the Pirates' 7-5 win at LECOM Park. Now, he'll try to continue using the pitch effectively in his new job in the bullpen."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The biggest thing that's keeping him on my radar this year is the inproved K:BB. 25:5 in 16 IP this Spring.  That was the biggest thing holding him back before. I don't have high hopes but on the rare chance he really does take the next step he could be a league changer. 

• Like 1

I always hate the "who is this year's mike trout?" Type questions the year after a big breakout. They seem forced and there's not always an answer so giving one sometimes is dumb.

That being said. Who could potentially be this year's  Jose Berrios? 

It's pretty easily this guy for me. Has more upside too. You don't give up on pitching prospects early in their career because they killed your era/whip and cost you a h2h matchup.

Berrios didn't start the year in the majors last year. If you're in a league deep enough or rewards you for drafting a guy late, that you can stash for a bit. He's a good choice.

Edited by brockpapersizer

16 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I always hate the "who is this year's mike trout?" Type questions the year after a big breakout. They seem forced and there's not always an answer so giving one sometimes is dumb.

That being said. Who could potentially be this year's  Jose Berrios? 

It's pretty easily this guy for me. Has more upside too. You don't give up on pitching prospects early in their career because they killed your era/whip and cost you a h2h matchup.

Berrios didn't start the year in the majors last year. If you're in a league deep enough or rewards you for drafting a guy late, that you can stash for a bit. He's a good choice.

Either him or Giolito maybe?

9 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Or both.  You'd probably have to put Giolito above Glasnow early on since Giolito will actually be pitching in the starting rotation and has had the superior Spring Training, but Glasnow could provide some decent value even out of the bullpen until the inevitable swap of him and Musgrove.

The issue with Glasnow in Spring Training has been he's been too hittable, which is an odd but somewhat encouraging sign at the very least.  The rest could come over time as long as the control stays where it has been so far.

19 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Giolito's price seems to be a lot higher. He pitched very well down the stretch last year and has a ton of sleeper buzz.  NFBC has Giolito has the 89th pitcher off the board and Glasnow as 155. That's not just 66 spots. That's 66 PITCHER spots. A pick difference of over 140. 

So we can discuss the merits of Giolito vs Glasnow and I'm not going to confidently say which one is better. But if you're in a league or auction where the amount you pay factors into their value as a price for next year? I'm not sure it's that close.  I actually think if Glasnow breaks out and reaches close to ceiling, he has better K stuff than giolito too, and NL and Serage help.

This by no means is a knock on Giolito, who I think is a pretty good price too.  But I got Berrios in at least 3-4 leagues last year because the jabronis being drafted around him had very little upside, and it was a format where I could afford to wait 4-8 weeks on a bench guy.

So yes, I think Giolito should probably be drafted ahead of Glasnow... but Glasnow is a ridiculous upside value play. If Glasnow does nothing, there's a much better chance who you would have gotten instead sucks too.

With Giolito you're paying a decent amount more for a guy who has the job right away, but plays in a tougher park and perhaps has less upside.  I have gotten shares of both already.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 2

Yea, you're right.  I took Giolito yesterday at 202.  

Glasnow was Mr Irrelevant at 292.  Was just thinking of another "post hype breakout" type guy going way late in drafts.

His BB's have been way down, so who knows...maybe this year he becomes 'relevant'?

I just wanted to put a visual on the 98mph cutting/sweeping FB that DirtyWater mentioned about half a dozen posts up.

• Like 4

On 3/26/2018 at 1:05 PM, bbythepier said:

I just wanted to put a visual on the 98mph cutting/sweeping FB that DirtyWater mentioned about half a dozen posts up.

holy cow. so sick. 

I was kinda avoidiing this guy in most of my drafts.  Then I decided to draft him in the league I did tonight.  Surprised to see he was actually a free agent in a few other leagues.  Picked him up in a couple but can't find anyone to drop in the other leagues hes available.