CurvePirate814

Tyler Glasnow 2018 Outlook

On 3/25/2018 at 5:47 PM, lavaman said:

His BB's have been way down, so who knows...maybe this year he becomes 'relevant'?

I'm willing to bet he starts at some point this year. Some(a lot) of the guys in the rotation are not that very good to begin with....

• Like 2

They have Keller waiting but Glasnow should get his chance first, if he shows this kind of control there is no doubt he will run with the job.

His upside is worth late pick, FA add is nobrainer.

• Like 1

He's the guy that could have eat innings if the game became a marathon after Brault and could have come in protect a potential lead if Brault started getting shaky when they took a lead.

Put money on him pitching tomorrow though, regardless of score, since every other BP arm was used today

Edited by Slatykamora

I really hate reading these kinds of posts.... but I have to ask. Guess-timates on when he could be given the chance to start? I can't imagine Trevor Williams being in there too long.

9 hours ago, Picard56 said:

I really hate reading these kinds of posts.... but I have to ask. Guess-timates on when he could be given the chance to start? I can't imagine Trevor Williams being in there too long.

Glasnow will have to pitch really well and then someone will also have to pitch really, really bad. Or an injury. Brault could always go in the rotation before Glasnow. And then there is Nick Kingham in AAA who might get a chance before Glasnow. If Glasnow holds no value as a reliever already for you and you aren't in a dynasty league I see no reason to hold him 

14 minutes ago, mpbaseball22 said:

Glasnow will have to pitch really well and then someone will also have to pitch really, really bad. Or an injury. Brault could always go in the rotation before Glasnow. And then there is Nick Kingham in AAA who might get a chance before Glasnow. If Glasnow holds no value as a reliever already for you and you aren't in a dynasty league I see no reason to hold him 

If Glasnow is pitching well they will give him every chance to succeed and take over a starting rotation role over those guys. He is their top prospect and crucial to their future success more so than any other pitcher they have.

Not to discredit any of those other guys, but none of them have the ceiling Glasnow does and the Pirates know this.

Edited by Dirtywater97

I'm happy about that actually. I do not want  him to start until he gets the control worked out. It's not like he lacks value in the pen with the Ks and probably solid ratios

Seems like he’s last in the bullpen depth chart the way they’re using him.

The outing yesterday was very encouraging for me. He was actually getting squeezed a little, but kept his composure and filled up the strike zone. The run scoring hit was given up on the first pitch after a 5 minute delay to check a pickoff play (with snow falling). It was a single and the runner was going so he scored from first. He seems to use his curveball in two different ways. One is a harder curve he can get over early in counts and another has bigger break that he can bury if needed. His fastball has good horizontal run, which makes it tough to square up. If he learns to control his pitches, he still has a high ceiling. Yesterday he was putting more of his fastballs in the zone than previously. 

12 hours ago, 9703 said:

Isn't that good, though? His prospects for joining the rotation this season are better if they are pitching him multiple innings out of the pen rather than using him as an 8th inning guy. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 9703 said:

Really doesn't mean squat at this point since it is so early. Bullpen hierarchy is constantly evolving over the course of the year. They usually never even resemble the orginal hierarchy to begin the year by the end of the season. If you don't have the patience for that drop for someone who can give you more instant gratification or results.

Generally the same goes for him getting into the rotation. If he performs he will be given opportunities in an important role of some type. With Glasnow it is more about the long game rather than rostering for short term profit.

The weather was absolutely brutal yesterday and I wouldn't read too much into the results for anybody that pitched in that game yesterday.

Edited by Dirtywater97

Hurdle is an idiot, but I can't imagine Glasnow doesn't work his way into some 7th & 8th inning hold situations sooner rather than later 

Personally, I hope he works his way back into the rotation 

I also hope he finds a way back into the rotation.  In fact, I'm confident he will.  You don't give up on a guy with his raw stuff after just 90 innings of MLB action.  Any self respecting team knows this.  Might be a while before he's fantasy relevant, but if you've got him in a dynasty like I do, he's worth holding onto.  Even in a deep redraft I could see stashing him for a while.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mpbaseball22 said:

Hurdle is an idiot, but I can't imagine Glasnow doesn't work his way into some 7th & 8th inning hold situations sooner rather than later 

I hate the way they’ve managed him since he first come up. No rope, no trust, and constant mixed messages. Let him Randy his way to eliteness please.

It is still concerning that he's still walking quite a few guys.  

Season stats:  6IP,  5BB/8K 

• Like 1