CurvePirate814

Tyler Glasnow 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, Magoo said:

I hate the way they’ve managed him since he first come up. No rope, no trust, and constant mixed messages. Let him Randy his way to eliteness please.

I couldn't believe they let him pitch as long as they did.  I watched a bunch of those games.  6.39 BB/9 is disgusting.  I think they wait until he has a full year of success in the bullpen before moving him.

• Thanks 1

https://twitter.com/realfrankbrank/status/982815862640947201

Check out that thread. He was throwing 97 mph with cut action (perfectly spotted) yesterday, followed it up with a disgusting breaking ball. It's still very clear he has control issues, but man if he ever had any semblance of control he could be a flat out monster. At some point this season he's likely going to start. I hope he finally capitalizes on his upside. 

Edited by Red Sox Nation

Huntington just said on his radio show: You know its great to see Glasnow throw aggressively and you see the power stuff. Tyler is going to continue to pitch and earn his way in that bullpen. It's not a bad thing thing to have a guy be able to give you 4-5-6 innings if a starter can't make it far in a game.

SO this could mean:

1) He needs to prove he can pitch effectively before he is thrown into high leverage situations

or

2) He needs to prove he can pitch efficiently for 4-5 innings in low leverage situations to prove he can hang in the rotation.

I'm strongly leaning with #2. 

• Like 2

If he keeps up the quality innings, high leverage or not, it can only be good for his progression. Maybe a starter by mid summer or sooner?

4 minutes ago, mpbaseball22 said:

Huntington just said on his radio show: You know its great to see Glasnow throw aggressively and you see the power stuff. Tyler is going to continue to pitch and earn his way in that bullpen. It's not a bad thing thing to have a guy be able to give you 4-5-6 innings if a starter can't make it far in a game.

SO this could mean:

1) He needs to prove he can pitch effectively before he is thrown into high leverage situations

or

2) He needs to prove he can pitch efficiently for 4-5 innings in low leverage situations to prove he can hang in the rotation.

I'm strongly leaning with #2. 

Good point. And with how early starters get pulled now, he could presumably steal some wins if he gets the call in the 4th or 5th since Hurdle doesn’t have set guys there yet.

2 hours ago, Magoo said:

Good point. And with how early starters get pulled now, he could presumably steal some wins if he gets the call in the 4th or 5th since Hurdle doesn’t have set guys there yet.

Re:Trying to figure out Hurdle

There be dragons there

Struck out batter 1, reached base on a passed ball.

Second batter, should have been a double play, but Bell bobbled it and they only got one

Third batter, weak ground ball to 2B which Harrison throws in the dirt, catcher doesn't catch it, run scores, no out. 

Could have been out of the inning at this point, but then things got a bit uglier. Couldnt finish Almora on an 0-2 count (threw a fastball down the middle?), then gave up a double to Bryant after getting ahead 1-2, struck out Contreras and then threw one down the middle again to Zobrist for a single 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mpbaseball22 said:

Second batter, should have been a double play, but Bell bobbled it and they only got one

Third batter, weak ground ball to 2B which Harrison throws in the dirt, catcher doesn't catch it, run scores, no out. 

Could have been out of the inning at this point, but then things got a bit uglier. Couldnt finish Almora on an 0-2 count (threw a fastball down the middle?), then gave up a double to Bryant after getting ahead 1-2, struck out Contreras and then threw one down the middle again to Zobrist for a single 

Thank you for the context 

I think he's making progress. His control is coming around. Give him some time to learn how to pitch instead of throwing. I'd like to see a 3rd pitch from him. He still needs to work on finishing batters, but no doubt that inning was fluky. 

54 minutes ago, mpbaseball22 said:

Except this stuff always happens with him...

Come on. Gotta relax. His stuff is there and he's controlling it now. In the past he put too many on with walks. This was bizarre fielding issues and a 57 foot K that the catcher couldn't handle. When a pitcher is learning to control his pitches, he's gonna fill up the middle of the plate sometimes (which burned him against a few hitters). I'd much rather he was getting too much plate at times than consistently walking guys. Not trying to be pollyanna, but any control of his stuff is good. Chill out, forget about last year and hope his control sticks. If it does, better days are ahead IMO.   

• Like 2

Most important thing - he didn't issue a walk. I'll never give up on this guy... his stuff is just too god damn good. Just gonna suck it up this week.

He's the type of guy you cut early in the year out of rage and you regret massively later on down the road when all those signs he was putting it together actually click.

Just wanted to add FWIW this early in the year he still has a 2.30FIP & 3.17xFIP 47% GB rate, .353BABIP, 54.6% left on base. Positive regression will come.

Really tough luck last night with how that inning played out and most importantly he did not issue a walk.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mpbaseball22 said:

i get that's he's been unlucky, so maybe a turnaround is just around the corner....

but, uh, has it worked? i wonder what they're basing the claim of success off of?

Finally cut bait after last night. Have enough relievers and it's hard to guess when he's actually going to pitch. His upside as a starter is still there but I have a hard time rostering with his usage now. Went with Pivetta instead.

Can't. Quit. Glasnow.

I really want to see him pitch in some warm weather games. I think every game he has pitched in this year has been in about 30 degree weather.

Man, if this guy can rope in his control issues he'll be a true ace. The stuff's there, I'd think he has to force the Pirates' hands and pick up some starts down the line. 

29 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Can't. Quit. Glasnow.

I really want to see him pitch in some warm weather games. I think every game he has pitched in this year has been in about 30 degree weather.

God damn this makes me giddy as a baseball fan. What a pitch. 

4 minutes ago, klove42 said:

God damn this makes me giddy as a baseball fan. What a pitch. 

Seriously. I'm a Phillies fan and I can't even be mad at that. It's a beautiful pitch. Some of the best raw stuff we've seen in a while I think.

If he had an average third pitch like a changeup or slider he'd be a beast. Last night was the first time I've seen his control go away for a batter or two. It's still better than it was, but he lost some batters here and there. Could be because it's the longest he's gone this year since working out of the bullpen. And yes, he's been pitching in sub-arctic temperatures every time (wind was 20+ last night). 

He looked pretty good last night. He still has a ways to go control wise, he doesn't have the efficiency to be in the rotation yet. But he's trending up

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Professor Turgeson said:

If he had an average third pitch like a changeup or slider he'd be a beast. Last night was the first time I've seen his control go away for a batter or two. It's still better than it was, but he lost some batters here and there. Could be because it's the longest he's gone this year since working out of the bullpen. And yes, he's been pitching in sub-arctic temperatures every time (wind was 20+ last night). 

Yeah, right around pitch 70 is where he had 2BB in a row on about 8 straight balls or so. I'm gonna blame it on fatigue considering he hasn't been fully stretched out.