CurvePirate814

Tyler Glasnow 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Can't. Quit. Glasnow.

 

 

 

I really want to see him pitch in some warm weather games. I think every game he has pitched in this year has been in about 30 degree weather.

 

Wow.  I don't have to eat breakfast anymore because that pitch is enough food for my day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't jump ship and abandon him just yet. He's got potential. Maybe he just needs some time to get into his stride. I'm optimistic about him. You'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys still hoping he becomes a starter. I kinda want him to be a Peacock/Miller/Hader type.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's only thrown 97.2 innings in his MLB career. I'd take it if he eventually moves to a full time BP roll, but it's way too early to give up on him as a starter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Double header today means the Pirates will need a starter for Sunday's game. There's a chance it could be Glasnow. My money is on Kingham, but we'll see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we think he might be a better bullpen guy? Is his future as a closer because he seems to get rattled the longer he’s in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His usage is extremely frustrating. It's really hard to get a read on him because they put him out there so infrequently. It's been almost a week now since he has pitched.

 

Definitely not doing him any favors as far as him getting into a rhythm or groove.

Edited by Dirtywater97

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just took a quick glance at Glasnow's pitch mix so far this year, and I came away concerned about his lack of use of his changeup and how not throwing it (thrown just 1 so far in 2018 among 245 overall pitches thrown for 0.4% changeup usage) might be a signal that Glasnow's days as a Starter might be over. If the Pirates had plans for him to move back to starting at some point, you would think they would want to see Glasnow develop his 3rd pitch (the changeup) more to give him the 3 pitch mix needed to start. Instead, he's been pretty much exclusively a Fastball/Curveball guy. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure what their plans are for him, but the lack of a 3rd pitch is my primary concern as well. Otherwise I'm happy with his performance and the improvements he's made with his control. He's more of a dynasty project right now, with big upside if things come together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, garlando said:

Just took a quick glance at Glasnow's pitch mix so far this year, and I came away concerned about his lack of use of his changeup and how not throwing it (thrown just 1 so far in 2018 among 245 overall pitches thrown for 0.4% changeup usage) might be a signal that Glasnow's days as a Starter might be over. If the Pirates had plans for him to move back to starting at some point, you would think they would want to see Glasnow develop his 3rd pitch (the changeup) more to give him the 3 pitch mix needed to start. Instead, he's been pretty much exclusively a Fastball/Curveball guy. 

 

He's too good to give up on as a starter this early in his Major League career. After all, he's just 24 and has started only 17 games at the Major League level. Maybe he does go the route of Wade Davis or Andrew Miller, but we're still a couple years away from that. Before taking on full time bullpen roles they started 88 and 66 games respectively. He needs a third pitch, and if he doesn't get it he probably will end up a bullpen guy. But it's WAY too early to give up on him as a starter. Not when the stuff is as good as his.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, with Kingham likely taking a rotation spot and Musgrove on his way back it might be a while before this guy gets another crack at the rotation 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy is a complete enigma to me. He has been absolutely dominant in Triple A two years in a row. Then, I watch him pitch: knee buckling curveballs, 97 mph fastballs with preternatural cut. Then, to my exasperation, I see the results. 

 

I remember a few years ago, the narrative around (fantasy) baseball was how great Ray Searage was -- the Ray Searage effect. Send him "your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" and he'll turn 'em into pitching gold. I think it's about time we re-appraise just how good he is. How come he hasn't been able to mould a guy with a big arm like Glasnow's into an ace? 

 

Then you look south, to the Astros, and see two of his former subjects, Cole and Morton, transformed into aces seemingly as soon as they escaped. Isn't a pitching coach supposed to be the one to tell a pitcher, "Hey Gerrit, scrap these pitches, they suck, and throw your slider more, it is devastating!" Morton's tenure with the Pirates was defined by mediocrity, little else. Now he looks like someone to be reckoned with. 

  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s the same guy he’s always been.  He has no idea where the ball is going when he lets it go.  Until he finds some control, he’s always going to be that guy.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantasy irrelevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

maybe he needs a change of scenery a la gerrit cole

or maybe he just needs to go to the Astros where they do something "special" to help their pitchers succeed. :lol:

 

All jokes aside, I agree a change of scenery is probably best at this point. The raw stuff is there, but I don't think he is going to put it all together in Pitt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure a guy with 100 MLB innings needs a change of scenery just yet. He has a 2.35 DRA and a 3.35 FIP. He's looked really good so far this year, to me at least. 

 

 

He's going to need a miracle to get in the rotation at this point, so if you are holding and hoping he gives you 10+ starts, you are better off dropping 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mpbaseball22 said:

Not sure a guy with 100 MLB innings needs a change of scenery just yet. He has a 2.35 DRA and a 3.35 FIP. He's looked really good so far this year, to me at least. 

 

 

He's going to need a miracle to get in the rotation at this point, so if you are holding and hoping he gives you 10+ starts, you are better off dropping 

 

This. + the fact a trade or any significant move for him isn't going to happen in the near future. Glasnow would be the type of player the Pirates are currently trading for, not trading away. They are rebuilding, even though this season has most likely gone better than expecting so far. He is still very young and can be until team control for a while. T is without a doubt still a developmental project, but still has a very high ceiling because of the pure stuff.  

 

For fantasy owners this season - yeah I don't see very/any value in stashing him. Still a dynasty hold for me. Also, kind of funny to hear people mention a move from Pit helping a pitcher. I am so use to pitchers going to Pitt and picking up tons of hype because of Searage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

So.. quietly, since May 1st: 10.1 IP, 13 K, 3 BB. 

 

You forgot the 7 ER ?

 

Actually he has looked a lot better of late. 5 straight scoreless appearances. 9.1 IP with no runs and just ONE BB. That's huge for him. Not totally giving up on him as a starter and I'd be almost shocked if they don't try him there, probably by the end of the season. I do like him as one of these new age RPs that come in and dominate 6-7 hitters in a lineup like a Hader/Peacock. It's all about getting the best out of Glasnow and if that's in 100-120 IP as opposed to 200 IP then that's not really so bad is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, corey_rideout said:

 

You forgot the 7 ER ?

 

Actually he has looked a lot better of late. 5 straight scoreless appearances. 9.1 IP with no runs and just ONE BB. That's huge for him. Not totally giving up on him as a starter and I'd be almost shocked if they don't try him there, probably by the end of the season. I do like him as one of these new age RPs that come in and dominate 6-7 hitters in a lineup like a Hader/Peacock. It's all about getting the best out of Glasnow and if that's in 100-120 IP as opposed to 200 IP then that's not really so bad is it?

 

For real life, no it isn’t that bad to hope for a Hader-ish role. For fantasy, it is that bad long term outlook if that is where he sticks. 

 

I have Glasnow all these years hoping for a Scherzer, not a Hader. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LarryDavid said:

 

For real life, no it isn’t that bad to hope for a Hader-ish role. For fantasy, it is that bad long term outlook if that is where he sticks. 

 

I have Glasnow all these years hoping for a Scherzer, not a Hader. 

 

Well sure, we all hope the former top prospect becomes a multiple time CY Young winner and ace for the better part of a decade. Unfortunately that is very rare. If I thought Glasnow was on the verge of becoming the next Hader I'd have trade offers out in both my 20 teamers for him right now. 

 

Hader is on pace for 93 IP 186K and will probably add 2-3 more wins, 2-3 more saves and another 15-20 holds. If the ERA and WHIP continue to be sub 2 and sub 1 you have one of the best pieces in fantasy baseball. 

 

I'm not so sure the plan isn't for Hader to eventually start, although I love the idea of having someone you can bring into a game multiple times a week and shut down 2-3 innings to bridge to your closer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, corey_rideout said:

 

You forgot the 7 ER ?

 

Actually he has looked a lot better of late. 5 straight scoreless appearances. 9.1 IP with no runs and just ONE BB. That's huge for him. Not totally giving up on him as a starter and I'd be almost shocked if they don't try him there, probably by the end of the season. I do like him as one of these new age RPs that come in and dominate 6-7 hitters in a lineup like a Hader/Peacock. It's all about getting the best out of Glasnow and if that's in 100-120 IP as opposed to 200 IP then that's not really so bad is it?

True story.

I'm not overly concerned about the ER. When he shows that he can repeatedly command the strike zone, results will follow, IMO. I think this could be the beginning of his progression.. I'd like to see an interview with him/coaches discussing what's changed recently, if anything. 

Edited by osb_tensor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

True story.

I'm not overly concerned about the ER. When he shows that he can repeatedly command the strike zone, results will follow, IMO. I think this could be the beginning of his progression.. I'd like to see an interview with him/coaches discussing what's changed recently, if anything. 

 

Absolutely agree. Sometimes these kids just have that moment where they realize their stuff is good enough and they stop trying to hit that extra MPH or stop trying to be 100% perfect and just let their stuff do the work. It could also be something as simple as a small arm angle adjustment or moving his foot an inch either way on the rubber. Baseball is a very interesting sport. Rarely do you see a hockey player or basketball player change something small about their game and go from an end of the bench guy to an all star. In baseball there are multiple stories of that every year. Maybe Glasnow is the next one?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.