CurvePirate814

Tyler Glasnow 2018 Outlook

8 hours ago, corey_rideout said:

Well sure, we all hope the former top prospect becomes a multiple time CY Young winner and ace for the better part of a decade. Unfortunately that is very rare. If I thought Glasnow was on the verge of becoming the next Hader I'd have trade offers out in both my 20 teamers for him right now. 

Hader is on pace for 93 IP 186K and will probably add 2-3 more wins, 2-3 more saves and another 15-20 holds. If the ERA and WHIP continue to be sub 2 and sub 1 you have one of the best pieces in fantasy baseball. 

I'm not so sure the plan isn't for Hader to eventually start, although I love the idea of having someone you can bring into a game multiple times a week and shut down 2-3 innings to bridge to your closer. 

Yes, I know bro. I wasn’t saying stashing prospect/young guy is likely to produce a Scherzer like career. I was just saying I was hoping for a high end starter, not a high end reliever. I get what you’re saying, I think every Glasnow owner realize that possibility, I’m just saying it’s obviously not ideal. 

His 2nd half minor league stats from last season just left me even optimistic, I was hoping the switch had flipped at some point.

Regardless, the Pirates would be foolish not to give him another go at starting. They aren’t going anywhere and that would be much more valuable long term to straighten him out. 

STAY AWAY ROS

gotta give the Rays magic pitching coaches time to fix his control issues

next year maybe........just maybe

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, einstein2u said:

starting tomorrow.

I expect a Giolito/Chatwood type line. 

Look at his AAA numbers from last year when he was starting. 

140 K 32BB in 93 innings with a 1.93 era and 0.95 WHIP

Absolutely true that he hasn't shown jack in the show, but the elite stuff is there.  Do I start him today - hell no, but I'm still very happy he was dealt into a situation where he is starting again and gets a fresh start (no longer the long term savior to the fan base) and on a bad team to take further pressure off him to just to out there and pitch. 

Yes, he will probably only pitch 2-3 innings today but Ill make the speculative add just for mere chance he throws well and sticks as a starter. Theres a chance he could pitch well and throw 4-6 innings next time out. You never know. 

7 hours ago, Ragnaroker said:

He probably will only pitch 2/3 innings in this start.

When I first read this I read it as 2/3rds of an inning and thought that sounded about right!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, meh2 said:

When I first read this I read it as 2/3rds of an inning and thought that sounded about right!

It took you posting this for me to realize the difference and my original thought matched yours. Poor Glasnow

• Like 1

Added to my bench. No risk of that move and if things click you've got yourself a monster for the fantasy playoffs. Anyone not adding is being foolish imo.

8 minutes ago, steve9347 said:

Added to my bench. No risk of that move and if things click you've got yourself a monster for the fantasy playoffs. Anyone not adding is being foolish imo.

how deep is your league and your bench that you can do this? I'm in a 14 team league with 3 bench spots so he's not the type of guy you can just add and have sitting around, there's better guys to stream and the idea that he'll be racking up wins or quality starts in a month seems kinda crazy

edit to add, also located in chicago!

Edited by yeah!magnets!
chicago

3 minutes ago, yeah!magnets! said:

how deep is your league and your bench that you can do this? I'm in a 14 team league with 3 bench spots so he's not the type of guy you can just add and have sitting around, there's better guys to stream and the idea that he'll be racking up wins or quality starts in a month seems kinda crazy

4 bench, 3 IR, 3 minors

Nice day out there today.

49 minutes ago, yeah!magnets! said:

Whether he's worth adding is league dependent, but keep in mind he was a top tier prospect for a reason. Glasnow has a lot of raw talent; if he ever gets his control issues in check he can be a dangerous pitcher.

He got picked up in both redraft leagues I'm in.  The stuff is excellent but the control is definitely not.  Worth a flyer if he's free.

6 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Worth noting for potential optimists.

I've watched him a lot this year including in person up close once.   The stuff is undeniable but the mechanical inconsistency leading to control issues is obviously something that needs to be overcome.   

He needs to talk to Chris Young and Big Unit.  They have both stressed how important core work is for taller pitchers. 

The upside is still tremendous imo.

• Like 1

He looked good today. I don’t think the move has anything to do with it yet, but the coaching change and scenery could light a fire under him. 3 innings with one walk and 5 strikeouts is good to see. His only run was a HR by Calhoun who has been en fuego. It was off an 0-2 curve down in the zone too.

Is he actually going to be stretched out? Or  are they going to use him as another “opener”??? ?

• Haha 1

A lot of people seem to forget this was a guy who had a 12k/9 in AAA. Rough couple of season with control issues. Could make a comeback; worth an add IMO

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Steelers72 said:

A lot of people seem to forget this was a guy who had a 12k/9 in AAA. Rough couple of season with control issues. Could make a comeback; worth an add IMO

It's always been about his BB/9 in the big leagues...he had some control issues in minors too but his K rate would make up for it & then some and he just hasn't been able to get away with it in the bigs.  Maybe the strike zone is a bit smaller, more likely the hitters are just more savvy and don't chase.

Regardless, whatever it is, I also think he could be one of those who realize their potential via change of scenery.  I picked him up recently via package trade in long-term keeper league & I'm paying close attention to how TB uses him ROS though I doubt I'll ever start him unless they start letting him go more than 48 pitches AND he doesn't have a BB per inning average when they do.

The tweet above of TB pitching coach being as tall as Tyler is especially intriguing to me...could just be he needs a guy who knows the struggle of being so tall & how to speak that language in terms of how to get more consistent with mechanics & whatnot to get the control issues...err, under control.

Glasnow is still just 24 years old. The book on this guy is just starting to be written.

• Like 4

Starting tomorrow at home against Baltimore (vs. Alex Cobb) - tempted to set him in a RP spot in a weekly but not if he's only going to get one start & it only lasts 3-4 innings or 50 pitches, whichever comes first.

As bad as BAL has been, they've been one of the more potent offenses since the ASB....2nd in the league in runs scored, #1 in team BA & OPS...#3 in HR's. Still, should be interesting to see how he does & how TB handles his pitch count.

Does anyone know if tomorrow is one of TB's scheduled 'bullpen days' or whatever they call it?

Over/Under on # of pitches tonight?

I'm going with 55-60 depending how the control aspect plays out in first couple innings...