CurvePirate814

Tyler Glasnow 2018 Outlook

Has Tampa commented on how they plan the rest of the year for him? Is their goal to slowly get him to consistently going 90+pitches? Barring him getting pounded, of course. 

5 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

Has Tampa commented on how they plan the rest of the year for him? Is their goal to slowly get him to consistently going 90+pitches? Barring him getting pounded, of course. 

He's been on RP duty all year so TB will have to stretch him out before they let him go much more than long-relief type pitch counts.

I am not quite sure how to take it but MLB.com has Glasnow listed as the Ray's #3 starter on their depth chart.

http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/team/depth_chart/index.jsp?c_id=tb

They're working him up to starter's innings, but rather than doing it in the minors like normal teams, they're just doing their 2018 weirdness and having him start the game.

Chances he goes long enough to get the W?

7 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

Chances he goes long enough to get the W?

Very, very slim. He’s not a very efficient pitcher and he will probably only throw 70 max. I doubt he gets to five innings. I’m still rolling him out there today though. 

9 minutes ago, tywalson said:

Very, very slim. He’s not a very efficient pitcher and he will probably only throw 70 max. I doubt he gets to five innings. I’m still rolling him out there today though. 

Idk. My local high school's #2 could probably get through the Os with 70 pitches

• Haha 1

Too much of a risk to run out early in the week when ratio's are still in play.   I like him as a long term dynasty add but this season you can't trust him. 

Edited by Baseball Jonze

4 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Too much of a risk to run out early in the week when ratio's are still in play.   I like him as a long term dynasty add but this season you can't trust him. 

early in the week is the perfect time to roll him out. definitely not later in the week

5 hours ago, steve9347 said:

They're working him up to starter's innings, but rather than doing it in the minors like normal teams, they're just doing their 2018 weirdness and having him start the game.

Tbf the Rays are out of contention this year. Might as well give him reps against big league competition. 

2 hours ago, cdd10 said:

early in the week is the perfect time to roll him out. definitely not later in the week

I think you only roll him out when you have nothing to lose.   If you're already losing BB and ratios than you roll him out and hope for K's out the wazoo.  But I think he can hurt you in more cats than he can help you in otherwise.  And he can really blow things up once he gets ugly. 

2 hours ago, tywalson said:

Yea, I'd say 70 is being pretty generous but not too much so.  They let him go 48 last time (3 innings iirc?) so if he can get more efficient & they give him another 15 or so...give or take 7 more to get to 70 isn't a stretch if he's doing well.

I'm personally paying more attention to his BB/IP ratio than pitch counts. 'Course, if he's walking guys like he did in PIT, he won't make it to 50 pitches anyway.

Earlier I was looking at Glasnow's numbers at age 24 with Randy Johnson's in his age 24 year & found some interesting comparisons. Their career tracks are not too dissimilar thus far....you can tell in the numbers when Johnson "got it" and became Big Unit. Glasnow's K numbers are actually quite a bit better than Johnson's at the same point in their careers.

• Like 1

He looked really good in the first inning. Struck out Villar and Beckham, got Jones on a weak grounder off his curve with 2 strikes. Hit 100mph at max, 97mph lowest. 

If Glasnow can harness his stuff he has elite potential. Rays rotation next year could be Snell, Glasnow, Honeywell, Faria...and they had a great 2018 draft. 

Edited by kwolf68
  • Like 1

So what is he doing different already?  Or is it just the idea of starting but knowing he's only going 3-4 innings and doesn't have to save anything in the tank?  It's different than relieving because he can be more warmed up and mentally prepared to pitch when on a starters schedule. 

I think all he needed was a change of scenery. Looks like an absolute stud right now. 

He is facing the Orioles...Yeah they have been hot late, but not that hot

The Rays trade of Archer is going to go down as a complete fleecing of the Pirates. Glasnow will be the better pitcher in 19.

27 minutes ago, C_Kap24 said:

I feel like I might've hit the dynasty jackpot. Love what I'm seeing, def glad I added.

I got him cheap in a trade back in May, pretty much as a throw in. Always been a big believer in his raw stuff and was willing to wait him out. 

• Like 1

so like...whats he doing differently?

i look forward to the fangraphs article on him.

could be going all gerrit cole on us.  

im beginning to think that ray searage is a little overrated.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, I was wrong on Kris Benson said:

9k in 4 innings... did his stuff look as filthy as that line looks for those that watched?

dynamite fastball sitting at 98, breaking ball looked absolutely filthy. didnt see a third pitch in the two innings i watched

Edited by Letitbe793
  • Like 1

Just now, Letitbe793 said:

dynamite fastball sitting at 98, breaking ball looked absolutely filthy. didnt see a third pitch in the two innings i watched

Yea this is what I saw, though I was channel surfing. That third pitch will be key to be a legit starter. At the VERY worst he's a high-leverage relief pitcher. If there is a third pitch there, look out.

12 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Yea this is what I saw, though I was channel surfing. That third pitch will be key to be a legit starter. At the VERY worst he's a high-leverage relief pitcher. If there is a third pitch there, look out.

Something to note - Glasnow's struggles earlier this season were in large part vs lhb.  Baltimore doesn't have any of them worth a crap.

This is how he was in the minors. No walks is huge for him. Maybe a change is what he needed

Edited by Steelers72