CurvePirate814

Tyler Glasnow 2018 Outlook

44 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

so like...whats he doing differently?

i look forward to the fangraphs article on him.

could be going all gerrit cole on us.  

im beginning to think that ray searage is a little overrated.

He is. I made a post on this months ago. I don't see what makes him any better than any other pitching coach. He failed to mold a pitcher with Glasnow's kind of stuff into an ace. Guru he is not.  

Edited by IceGoat
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Letitbe793 said:

dynamite fastball sitting at 98, breaking ball looked absolutely filthy. didnt see a third pitch in the two innings i watched

He was throwing a 4seam, Curve and slider. I think he actually threw the slider more than the curve. I watched half live and half on the MLB app. Slider was sitting around 86mph, curve 82mph. Got a couple K’s on it too.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, IceGoat said:

He is. I made a post on this months ago. I don't see what makes him any better than any other pitching coach. He failed to mold a pitcher with Glasnow's kind of stuff into an ace. Guru he is not.  

It may have been more his assistant that ended up getting hired as a pitching coach somewhere else (I forget which team).  You wouldn't have known it before he left obviously, but it seems like it's a genuine possibility that it was more him than Ray.

Still, hard to get too excited for this season unless the Rays ever let him pitch 5 or more innings.  That will also tell if he's really turning things around.  Obviously he's been great for his two starts, but it would be nice to see what he does another time through the lineup.

2 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

It may have been more his assistant that ended up getting hired as a pitching coach somewhere else (I forget which team).  You wouldn't have known it before he left obviously, but it seems like it's a genuine possibility that it was more him than Ray.

Still, hard to get too excited for this season unless the Rays ever let him pitch 5 or more innings.  That will also tell if he's really turning things around.  Obviously he's been great for his two starts, but it would be nice to see what he does another time through the lineup.

It would be but at this point he's a dynasty league stock. In redrafts he'll go into next season as a post hype sleeper. 

12 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

im beginning to think that ray searage is a little overrated.

I am too...even some of the pitchers who helped bump his reputation (Ivan Nova) have regressed back to what they were before they got to Pittsburgh.

His stuff is some of the best in the game, but his control has always been his biggest concern (dating back to his MiLB days). If he can throw strikes like he did last night, kid will be an elite SP. I haven't seen him string 2 consecutive outings together where he routinely throws the ball over the plate. I'm still skeptical until I do, but very encouraging to see steps in the right direction.

Next week will be a good barometer....TB is @NYY and @BOS...either of those will be a tough test of just how much Glasnow has progressed.

It's looking to me like his next start will be @NYY but not seeing anything concrete yet.

36 minutes ago, SmallBallz said:

Next week will be a good barometer....TB is @NYY and @BOS...either of those will be a tough test of just how much Glasnow has progressed.

It's looking to me like his next start will be @NYY but not seeing anything concrete yet.

Looks like Sunday @ TOR he'd be due up again, no?

13 minutes ago, neljak25 said:

Looks like Sunday @ TOR he'd be due up again, no?

That's what I thought but the way TB runs their starters, it's hard to tell....it very well could be. It would obviously be a better matchup....I was looking more at next week for weekly lineups & that's all @NYY and @BOS according to CBS.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SmallBallz said:

That's what I thought but the way TB runs their starters, it's hard to tell....it very well could be. It would obviously be a better matchup....I was looking more at next week for weekly lineups & that's all @NYY and @BOS according to CBS.

ESPN projects him to go this Sunday V Toronto. We’ll see.

6 hours ago, phillyphan21 said:

It would be but at this point he's a dynasty league stock. In redrafts he'll go into next season as a post hype sleeper. 

You're definitely not wrong there.  He's more of a dynasty/keeper league guy right now than anything else.  It's a bit different if you're in a league that as actual RP slots.  Then he potentially has a lot of value in a league like that.

3 hours ago, rrrrich46 said:

I'm in. Much rather gamble on his upside than your standard WW back end SP.

If you get plenty of wins out of the rest of your starters, then I can see that for ratios and K's help.  Well, potential help of course if his first two starts with TB are even close to legit.

Even in that situation, I would have to highly consider skipping his Boston start.

13 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

according to yahoo...slated to start sunday.  

Yall rolling him out there?

I've had him for his last two starts and am very encouraged...sticking with him until the wheels fall off. I love me some high K-rate pitchers.

6 hours ago, MireLurker said:

next game @BOS. hate when you wanna grab a guy but won't be able to start him.

Definitely a tough matchup coming up. It’s going to be interesting to see how he handles being in Fenway and against a stacked lineup. He seems to be focused on attacking hitters much more than I’ve ever seen before with him, which is leading to fantastic results so far. I think this upcoming start will be a good indicator of what we really have with Glasnow.

If he throws too many “get Em over” fastballs they’re going to crush him. 

I grabbed, but he will be on my bench against the Red Sox. Unless my ratios are already decided in any direction by his start...

I'm not starting him in Boston BUT he has the level of stuff that if he figures it out it can play in anywhere against anybody.  If seems as simple as being allowed to throw higher strikes.  Pittsburgh forces low strikes on it's pitchers, and when coming from the angle of 6'8" Glasnow the downward plane would have him miss low when trying for it too often, but TB is allowing the high strike and switching levels - so he can aim higher in the zone and if he misses low instead of being a ball, it's a low strike still.  Of course he's also dealing more in the meat of the plate so there is give and take but that is the art of pitching and pitch calling. 

• Like 4

Didn't watch, but he only threw 50 of 94 pitches for strikes vs BOS. Escaped with a respectable line. Next game vs KC should be a good one - they're not patient enough to work him for walks, should lead to plenty of Ks.

On 8/13/2018 at 8:49 AM, Baseball Jonze said:

I'm not starting him in Boston BUT he has the level of stuff that if he figures it out it can play in anywhere against anybody.  If seems as simple as being allowed to throw higher strikes.  Pittsburgh forces low strikes on it's pitchers, and when coming from the angle of 6'8" Glasnow the downward plane would have him miss low when trying for it too often, but TB is allowing the high strike and switching levels - so he can aim higher in the zone and if he misses low instead of being a ball, it's a low strike still.  Of course he's also dealing more in the meat of the plate so there is give and take but that is the art of pitching and pitch calling. 

I don't know whether this theory holds up or not but thanks for a unique take and excellent insight.

4 hours ago, MireLurker said:

Didn't watch, but he only threw 50 of 94 pitches for strikes vs BOS. Escaped with a respectable line. Next game vs KC should be a good one - they're not patient enough to work him for walks, should lead to plenty of Ks.

He still only gave up 3 hits which is pretty impressive against that lineup. Certainly would like to see more strikes thrown though. Still owns a 24:6 K:BB with the Rays.