Sign in to follow this  
SpecialFNK

Alex Cobb 2018 Outlook

Thinking about sitting him in an AL Only.  Guy pitched about as bad as humanly possible last time out so hard to trust him.

God awful.  He's a drop in even the deepest of formats at this point.  On a plus note, I ended up not starting him so I prevented my ratios from getting blown up.

He's mostly been beat up by singles today. At the same time, I haven't watched him pitch much in the past, so I can't compare, but watching him today he just looks pretty hittable.

He has a 2 start week next week with 1 start against the Rays so I have to probably keep him for that.

He's only had two decent seasons and has never posted a K/9 above 8.41. He's a slightly above average pitcher.

2.76 ERA 1.151 WHIP  8.4 K9.

2.87 ERA 1.136 WHIP  8.1 K9

That is not just "decent" in the AL East.

25 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

He has a 2 start week next week with 1 start against the Rays so I have to probably keep him for that.

2.76 ERA 1.151 WHIP  8.4 K9.

2.87 ERA 1.136 WHIP  8.1 K9

That is not just "decent" in the AL East.

Those seasons were in 2013 and 2014, respectively.  He's now 4 years older and his FB% is rising.  His K% has dropped while his HR/9 has increased. He's generating less swings at pitches outside of the strike zone and his contact% has increased by 8%.  He's probably more of a 4.0 - 4.25 ERA guy now. That's not a horrible pitcher, but he's still only slightly above average. Also, Tropicana Field is pitcher-friendly while Oriole Park at Camden Yards is hitter-friendly (in terms of HR/9).

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers
  • Like 1

Is anybody buying that he is starting to turn things around?  /Any good analysis of his last two starts that any of you all would recommend reading?

46 minutes ago, OaksterDan said:

Is anybody buying that he is starting to turn things around?  /Any good analysis of his last two starts that any of you all would recommend reading?

I don't have the link but it was one of those "Verdict" articles, they didn't have much positive to say about him.

24 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Very much so, problem is though his next start is at the tribe

For sure. Nice game last year vs CLE, this year not sure. If I had to bet I would say 2-3 ER and 5-7 K's. I think the odds of an implosion are low right now for him after seeing his pitch location/selection

On 8/17/2018 at 9:12 AM, scottishguy said:

For sure. Nice game last year vs CLE, this year not sure. If I had to bet I would say 2-3 ER and 5-7 K's. I think the odds of an implosion are low right now for him after seeing his pitch location/selection

STUD

On 8/19/2018 at 3:00 AM, MireLurker said:

Last 7 starts: 46.1 IP,  2.14 ERA, 1.08 WHIP :blink:

Only 2 W and 28K, but still... night and day.

Even more impressive given 3 were vs Cleveland, Boston, and NYY

• Like 1