Sign in to follow this  
TribeFoo

Jameson Taillon 2018 Outlook

Just now, St3v3k4hn said:

Well, that performance was just good enough that if you liked him before, you are encouraged, and it was just bad enough that if you were worried before, you are probably still worried... :D

Agreed.

I own him and am thankful for the outing. Nats are a tough assignment and he posted the QS. Hair on fire panic is not called for - he had a bad couple games what it looks like to me.

4 minutes ago, ZChronicNebula said:

He's a SP3

I agree - and that's a step up.

There is also this article on Fantasypros:

https://www.fantasypros.com/2018/05/6-players-to-buy-low-sell-high-fantasy-baseball-week-6/

Jameson Taillon (SP – PIT)

“I’m currently buying on Jameson Taillon, who has quickly become an afterthought in most fantasy owners’ minds. After starting hot, the Pirates’ youngster has cooled down. This slump shouldn’t last long, however, as underlying indicators suggest his ERA ought to be around 3.4 instead of the 4.83 we see today. He won’t strike out 200 hitters, but you can get a solid SP4 for a much lesser piece like Reynaldo Lopez or Trevor Williams

and I’d be quick to do it if I had the chance.”
– Bobby Sylvester (FantasyPros)

I'm a bit discouraged at the 1 K, but only 1 ER. Hopefully he pitches better his next time out. I'm holding. Who's with me?

Edited by Akecheta

There's quite a bit to like here. 

BB/9 - 2.70

HR/9 - 0.98

GB% - 55.5%

Hard% is down 5.5% from last season. His K% isn't great, but it's not horrible. Plus, he plays for a decent team (99 wRC+). I think he's a solid SP3 in 12-team leagues. 

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All this articles are making me want to pick him up. Should he be lingering in the waiver wire?

Am I really paying for this clown to get one strikeout?

5 hours ago, Akecheta said:

I'm a bit discouraged at the 1 K, but only 1 ER. Hopefully he pitches better his next time out. I'm holding. Who's with me?

Faces SF next time around. I like his chances of bouncing back.

• Like 1

https://www.fantasypros.com/mlb/news/158780/jameson-taillon-tosses-five-innings-no-decision-saturday.php

Jameson Taillon allowed one run on six hits and two walks over five innings in a no decision loss to the Brewers Saturday.

Fantasy Impact:

Taillon struck out just one batter in the outing and now has a 4.42 ERA on the season. The Pirates' righty has now strung together two lackluster outings after being destroyed in his previous two starts before. Taillon velocity was up to a season high 97.06 mph Saturday night so fantasy owners can hope he can continue to turn the ship around quikcly.

• Thanks 1

The problem is he’s BABIP dependent.  His one K yesterday was looking.  He just can’t generate whiffs swinging consistently enough.  Guys like this are hardly consistent.  I need to see more whiffs before I gain any optimism.  He was far too hittable again yesterday.  Got a few nice breaks.  Good to see the QS and him buckle down in stress situations though.  

• Like 1

He allows way too many balls in play, and as a result lots of baserunners. I really try to avoid rostering SP who  allow a hit per inning or more, unless they have absolutely impeccable control - and Taillon doesn't.

You can't even really play the matchup guessing game with him bc he's just as likely to get blown up by a crap team as the Yankees.

Edited by cs3
Haha same time - exactly what Cmilne said
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

The problem is he’s BABIP dependent.  His one K yesterday was looking.  He just can’t generate whiffs swinging consistently enough.  Guys like this are hardly consistent.  I need to see more whiffs before I gain any optimism.  He was far too hittable again yesterday.  Got a few nice breaks.  Good to see the QS and him buckle down in stress situations though.  

I wish he got the QS. 

His mediocrity and the quick hook cost me the W yesterday. 

1 minute ago, treat88 said:

I wish he got the QS. 

His mediocrity and the quick hook cost me the W yesterday. 

You’re right he only went 5 IP.  I swear I saw 6.  So what’s all the optimism about regarding him?

2 hours ago, ZChronicNebula said:

Some urine will do the trick. 

- Moisés (aka "Moist Hands") Rojas Alou Beltre

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ZChronicNebula said:

Some urine will do the trick. Should be ready by Wednesday against CWS.

Jameson Taillon may be taking the axiom, “By any means necessary,” to a different level.

The Pirates right-hander is looking into the idea of trying to heal a cut on the middle finger of his pitching hand by peeing on it. The idea isn’t his own — former outfielder Moises Alou was known for doing so, and both friends and fans reportedly suggested the idea to Taillon — and he seems ready to go ahead with it.

“If it helps, I’ll put a sign-up sheet and everyone can come and pee,” Taillon said Sunday, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I don’t care. I just want it to go away.”

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

“If it helps, I’ll put a sign-up sheet and everyone can come and pee,” Taillon said Sunday, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I don’t care. I just want it to go away.”

This is gold

• Haha 1

So annoyed by this clown trying decide if he wants to be a good pitcher in this league. How the hell do you not get a QS against a loser team at home?  One out away and just can’t get it done.

I can understand the frustration here but he was cheap enough to be a back-end guy. 

I'm as bitterly disappointed as anyone who posted here about this CWS start, but he didn't kill us and he got 5 Ks. 

I'm holding - he's better than anything on the wire in a 12-teamer imo.