SpecialFNK

Kyle Hendricks 2018 Outllook

4 hours ago, BostonCajun said:

I might bench him at home vs Detroit in his next start. He's been pretty terrible lately. 

I think I will still start him, I mean that's a terrible lineup and he's usually better at home. But if he craps the bed again, time to bring in the liquid nitrogen.

32 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

He is droppable.

In all leagues

48 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

He is droppable.

What's his deal?  Just lost all command?  

1 hour ago, RyanM915 said:

yep.. I'm over it. drop

In 12 team leagues is there really anything better on the wire?

1 hour ago, The Waker said:

In 12 team leagues is there really anything better on the wire?

I don't think so. Until I hear he has an injury I'm holding and hoping he adjusts. What he's done the last couple outings is very unlike him. It wouldn't surprise me if it was an injury because it's been pretty bad. But I've seen other pitchers go through similar stretches and it turns out they were tipping their pitches, mechanically unsound or some other relatively benign causation and they straighten things out. If he sucks like this the next couple outings the Cubs will do something about it themselves pretty sure. 

To not pitch well v the Tigers is pretty much inexcusable. They did rip Happ a new one over the weekend in similarly surprising fashion.

Hendricks will improve. you can put that in the bank.

last 30 days..

315 BABIP. (career .273)

65 LOB%. (career 77.1)

16.7 HR/FB. (career 11.7)

[Removed Cool Story]

A guy like him survived on excellent command. Take that away and he is a bp pitcher. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Even with his good numbers in the past, he's always made me nervous because the margin for error is so tiny with his velocity. He needs to hit his spots precisely (which he's been very good at in the past).

Thought the thread was bumped because he was demoted to high a. He would get rocked there as well

5 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Thought the thread was bumped because he was demoted to high a. He would get rocked there as well

Seems unnecessary and just trying to put fire on the wound.  Except for one game nothing has been disasterous.   That's the only game he hasn't made it 5 innings.  Hopefully they figure out what's up and he goes back to normal.

Edited by The Waker

I have a feeling it’s something mechanical causing him to lose his control. Just a hunch and if that’s the case it’s correctable as long as it’s figured out by the pitching staff. 

47 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

I have a feeling it’s something mechanical causing him to lose his control. Just a hunch and if that’s the case it’s correctable as long as it’s figured out by the pitching staff. 

It's the only thing that makes sense.  Let's just hope they can find it

• Like 1

What a stellar line from him last night! 8 1/3 IP of shutout ball (run was unearned) with 5 hits, 1 walk and 8 ks. His control was much better as he threw 75 of his 109 pitches for strikes (didn’t watch the game) and he also induced 11 groundball outs. His next outing is Sunday against the Padres. I’ll be starting him for that one. 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 10:50 AM, SpecialFNK said:

I read somewhere that pitchers are increasingly abandoning the sinker because hitters now are increasing looking to lift the ball (uppercuts) and so the sinker is counterproductive.

I wonder if that has anything to do with Hendricks' struggles.

I guess will have to start him vs. SD after this. Hope he doesn't burn me again.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2018 at 3:59 PM, Dr. Whom said:

doubtful

4 hours ago, papasmurf said:

I read somewhere that pitchers are increasingly abandoning the sinker because hitters now are increasing looking to lift the ball (uppercuts) and so the sinker is counterproductive.

I wonder if that has anything to do with Hendricks' struggles.

I guess will have to start him vs. SD after this. Hope he doesn't burn me again.

Wouldn't a good sinker potentially cause popups?

Edited by The Waker

38 minutes ago, The Waker said:

Wouldn't a good sinker potentially cause popups?

this doesn't make sense. The downward movement of a sinker would cause a batter to hit downward on the ball and cause ground balls. Unless swings have just lowered  so much it goes into it's wheel house, but that would be a drastic swing change. Im still throwing the ball low or throwing sinkers to keep the ball on the ground. 

Started him last night and every start prior. Keeping the faith paid yesterday. He's smart, that's why he's called the professor, and I feel like he's earned some leeway. 

Starting again Sunday. 

Welcome back Kyle

3 hours ago, RyanM915 said:

this doesn't make sense. The downward movement of a sinker would cause a batter to hit downward on the ball and cause ground balls. Unless swings have just lowered  so much it goes into it's wheel house, but that would be a drastic swing change. Im still throwing the ball low or throwing sinkers to keep the ball on the ground. 

yeah you're right.  I was thinking the steeper plane of the swing would cause more popups when it hits the bottom of the sinker but thats rare

Edited by The Waker

Anyone starting tonight?  Is the wind blowing out? I can never tell by the reports.

Public service announcement, I am starting...

Costanza Smurf over here.

For what it's worth, with Hendricks I don't think the wind marries a lot. If he's right he will get grounders. If he's off I don't think if inward wind will help much. (And rotowire says wind is blowing right to left at 13mph.)

Edited by papasmurf