BrianM

Buffalo Bills 2018 Season Outlook

Posted (edited)

They’re gonna have a hard time trading up to 4 for Allen when NYJ take him at 3

(whoops missed that first pick part, but no way Cleveland dumps that)

Edited by lolcopter

The local tea leaves lean towards Rosen.  They've now worked out him and Mayfield for sure, so they'd have to be the leaders in the clubhouse.  I think there's enough in flux here that still anything's possible.    

Richie Incognito retiring is a biiiig deal.  He was the one sure thing on the offensive line.  He's been a star guard ever since he was brought back.      I'm sure they finished 2017 thinking Wood and Incognito anchor the middle, Ducasse was.....workable, and they can get by with Dawkins at LT.     

Now, Russell Bodine appears to be the center, and I've heard bad things.  Marshall Newhouse might be a little better than Jordan Mills at RT, but that's not saying much.   I'm fading McCoy a bit more with this news.   

31 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Richie Incognito retiring is a biiiig deal.  He was the one sure thing on the offensive line.  He's been a star guard ever since he was brought back.      I'm sure they finished 2017 thinking Wood and Incognito anchor the middle, Ducasse was.....workable, and they can get by with Dawkins at LT.     

Now, Russell Bodine appears to be the center, and I've heard bad things.  Marshall Newhouse might be a little better than Jordan Mills at RT, but that's not saying much.   I'm fading McCoy a bit more with this news.   

Wasnt he the guy who was fined for bullying a teammate or something like that?

39 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Without Tyrod, everyone is going to see how bad the BUF OL really is. Losing the entire left side of last year's opening week starters isn't going to help things. 

15 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Wasnt he the guy who was fined for bullying a teammate or something like that?

Yep- Jonathan Martin- that was him.    Also- got accused of spewing slurs at the Jaguars star DE who's name I wont try to spell that isnt Calais Campbell.    Destroyed his car a while back in a fit of rage (not driving it, he sledgehammered the thing or something).  Also, a woman said that in his Miami days, he was drunk at a golf tournament and got sleazy with her and a golf putter, in public.    So, he's a piece of work.

But, he stayed fairly clean here (except the slur thing, and SOMETHING happened there I'm sure) and his teammates loved him.   

Re-setting the need list here after free agency as i see it.

Primary:

QB-  need that future guy

WR- No depth here beyond Kelvin and Zay, neither of whom are sure things

OL-  They should still be looking to add multiple faces here at every position

MLB-  Need to replace Preston Brown

Secondary

DT-  they've got starters, but they need a future Kyle williams replacement

RB- Shady needs a successor, and a good young RB can freshen things up offensively at times

CB-  Right now Philip Gaines is the third CB.........Vontae Davis is signed only for one year.   

• Like 1

I thought a year ago Tyrod was being set up for failure and he made lemonade out of lemons by  going to the playoffs but AJM is being sent on a suicide mission. :huh:

"All i wanted to do was staaaaaaaaart!!!!"   as they carry him away on a stretcher while Peterman throws 3 interceptions before the ambulance leaves the parking lot

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, BrianM said:

"All i wanted to do was staaaaaaaaart!!!!"   as they carry him away on a stretcher while Peterman throws 3 interceptions before the ambulance leaves the parking lot

Maybe he thought he would have a 16 game exhibition reel to improve his value for his next FA mkt  but the reality is it will probably 5 games.

Tell the hot wife not to unpack the pop warner to NFL trophy box and change the lease on the house to monthly rental.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

I thought a year ago Tyrod was being set up for failure and he made lemonade out of lemons by  going to the playoffs but AJM is being sent on a suicide mission. :huh:

He WAS being setup for failure. And turned that into a 9-6 record and the first playoff appearance for BUF in 18 years. 

BUF is easily on course to have a top-5 pick next year.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

He WAS being setup for failure. And turned that into a 9-6 record and the first playoff appearance for BUF in 18 years. 

BUF is easily on course to have a top-5 pick next year.

Which almost makes one wonder if they should just NOT get the QB this year and bottom out.   

54 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Which almost makes one wonder if they should just NOT get the QB this year and bottom out.   

The Bills win as many games when they try to bottom out as when they try to win, so I don't think a lot would change.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, hoppychokes said:

The Bills win as many games when they try to bottom out as when they try to win, so I don't think a lot would change.

I can’t help think the Bills are in need of a RB also.  McCoy is 30 in a few months...

If the Bills target Allen, they might not have another playoff chance during Shady’s career.

Trading up for Allen is going to cost them... maybe more than they can afford.  

Unless Allen drops to #12 drafting Allen is a bad move...

4 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

I can’t help think the Bills are in need of a RB also.  McCoy is 30 in a few months...

If the Bills target Allen, they might not have another playoff chance during Shady’s career.

Trading up for Allen is going to cost them... maybe more than they can afford.  

Unless Allen drops to #12 drafting Allen is a bad move...

Buffalo is trading with the Giants for Saquon Barkley at 2.  Buffalo intends on not calling a pass play for the next 4 years, at least 

1 minute ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Buffalo is trading with the Giants for Saquon Barkley at 2.  Buffalo intends on not calling a pass play for the next 4 years, at least 

It would be expensive, but if they throw in McCoy maybe not to much...

I’d like that better than Allen at #2 by a large margin.

9 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

I mean to be fair, I dont think any Bill's fan planned on a single playoff chance during Shadys tenure.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, hoppychokes said:

I mean to be fair, I dont think any Bill's fan planned on a single playoff chance during Shadys tenure.

Shady has done an amazing job for the Bills, but the offense is far from competing.

It feels like the Bills need a complete rebuild, but do you start at QB or RB?

Lamar Jackson would at least entertain Bills fans immediately.  Is he worth the #12 pick?

Would he have anyone to throw to?

The Bills just lost Incognito.  If they trade up for a QB they may be tanking in 2018...

Edited by seanismorris

So Josh Allen it is................yeah.     What i love most of all is the "he's got a strong arm for bad weather" take..........the same was pitched about EJ Manuel and JP Losman.    The other funny thing is the locals.   Predraft, most were very anti Josh Allen.   Now that he's picked, its strange!  Suddenly they all love him!   Love and obsession are blind I guess.

So opinion aside, for fantasy's sake, how quickly does he start?    My initial guess is a training camp QB competition.  If Allen starts day 1, anyone bumping up Kelvin Benjamin?    Can't say I will do so myself.  Even if Allen is Carson Wentz, its gonna take a year or so of growing pains to get there.  

Bills fans gotta' love the TEdmunds pick at LB.

IDP players take note: Edmunds slides into the Mike in Buffalo where a lessor talented Preston Brown led the league in tackles last season B)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah, Preston was just ok at best.   It was a near certainty that pick 22 (which became 16) was going to be that next MLB as it was their most gaping need.  

One thing i question is both trades though.   What are the odds that both players would be sitting there at 12 and 22 if they just were patient?    That's three day two picks they gave away.  Could've added a WR, RB, and guard/center, all still needs.     I think its clear they were not Rosen fans.   If you are 5 picks away, and Rosen and Allen are still there, and you like both, you dont trade up, methinks.  At least not at that price.   

Edited by BrianM

What are you talking about Evan Silva?

"Josh Allen over Josh Rosen was a regrettable-if-foreseeable move by a Bills personnel department that has struggled since making Sean McDermott one of the NFL’s most powerful head coaches"

They made the playoffs for the 1st time in 17 years last year, I'll take more of that "struggling", we know you don't like Allen Evan, time will tell.

• Haha 1

I think the Bills making the playoffs had more to do with other teams failing to make it than the Bills actually proving they were worthy of being a playoff selection. It took a Bengals walk-off TD for them to get in. AFC will be a stronger conference this season in my opinion. I don't think the Bills got better at all.

I hate the Josh Allen pick. Especially move up to 7 to select him. He is a 3rd round project. Time will tell, but that could really set back the Bills for a while. Because it robs them of future draft capital as well by moving up so far.

• Like 1

Bill's making the playoffs was mostly luck and a couple good wins. McDermott repeatedly ****** up game calling and mishandled his QBs to an unfathomable degree.

Personally I think the Bill's could have done as well, if not better with Lynn. We will see how McDermott does with this murderers row to start the season.

• Like 1