NYR Fan 116894

Tarik Cohen 2018 Outlook

Enter new Bears head coach Matt Nagy, who served as Kansas City's play caller for the final four games of the 2017 regular season and the playoffs. Nagy is expected to bring along many of the concepts he learned in Kansas City under Andy Reid, meaning the first-year head coach should have a head start in understanding how to utilize a player with Cohen's unique skill-set.

"Well, No. 1, size-wise you see that and you say, 'OK, they're pretty similar, right?'" Nagy said at the NFL scouting combine. "And then you have the speed, the shiftiness, the moves, everything that they do. They're similar in the fact that you can move them around and do different things. As you see on tape, the one thing if you go back and look at simple numbers, you're going to see that Cohen can run the ball a little bit more from the backfield. Not that Tyreek can't.

"So they're different. So I don't think it is fair to compare them but I do understand why people compare them, and for me, I am very excited to coach both of them and look forward to working with Cohen."

• Like 1

Losing Fox and gaining Nagy is very nearly a best-case-scenario for Cohen.  I am still not sure Cohen will get enough volume to be fantasy relevant, though.

• Like 1

Despite the ineptitude of the Chicago coaching staff in 2017, Cohen managed as a 4th round rookie RB to achieve the following...

#20 RB in my .25 point PPR league that counts return yardage

#29 RB in my 1 point PPR league that does not count return yardage

I think with Nagy onboard, Cohen has a realistic shot to finish as a top 20 RB again, especially for leagues that count return yardage. And that would make him a RB2...hopefully it comes with more consistency on a week-to-week basis with Fox/Loggains now out the door. 

2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Losing Fox and gaining Nagy is very nearly a best-case-scenario for Cohen.  I am still not sure Cohen will get enough volume to be fantasy relevant, though.

I could see Nagy using Cohen a lot more in a passing role.

• Like 2

Considering the only receivers on the Bears offense (that I can recall their names) are headed for the FA, I’d say Cohen is in for a lot of work.

I’d gamble on Cohen with my last fantasy pick.

Won't be there last round.. don't sleep on this guy 

4 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

Considering the only receivers on the Bears offense (that I can recall their names) are headed for the FA, I’d say Cohen is in for a lot of work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, seanismorris said:

Last fantasy pick?  Then you won't be getting him in any true competitive leagues my friend.  

• Like 3

Cohen's a fun player and he could certainly be valuable in PPR.

But Jordan Howard is an elite NFL RB. He is slow, but he reads blocks perfectly and always gets more than what is there. He was born to run inside in the NFL. He was a solid fantasy asset despite one of the worst possible situations (QB, no WR, OL injury, game script) imaginable.

Cohen probably shouldn't be drafted in standard.

they should just change him to a wr 

a few carries here and there 

6 hours ago, Flyers_28 said:

they should just change him to a wr 

a few carries here and there 

He has good hands, but he doesn't strike me as someone who would run good WR routes, especially against faster and quicker DBs.

If he could get a role similar to McCaffrey where he goes against LBs I can see him doing okay.

On 3/1/2018 at 10:24 AM, NYR Fan 116894 said:

I endorse this 100%!!!

Howard is on the trade block because what made Hunt successful last year is calling the shots for this guy. 

Pay the premium.

If/when Howard is traded, Cohen is instantly a top 5 RB. That's why the new head coach is the new head coach.

Don't be dumb (dbd)

8 hours ago, jmausen said:

I endorse this 100%!!!

Howard is on the trade block because what made Hunt successful last year is calling the shots for this guy. 

Pay the premium.

If/when Howard is traded, Cohen is instantly a top 5 RB. That's why the new head coach is the new head coach.

Don't be dumb (dbd)

Seriously?

2 hours ago, petekrum said:

Seriously?

Pay the premium.

If/when Howard is traded, Cohen is instantly a top 25 RB. That's why the new head coach is the new head coach

Fixed it

• Like 1

Love his potential and skillet but he's limited due to Howard. Chicago needs to make a change!

Cohen is a top 25 RB today, as we speak.  With JHow out of the picture, he jumps to top 6-8 status instantly.

I am in love with this guy.  He just needs the touches.

35 minutes ago, milesberg said:

Cohen is a top 25 RB today, as we speak.  With JHow out of the picture, he jumps to top 6-8 status instantly.

6-8 is a bit high but if Howard is gone I can see top 15

• Like 2

I am excited about Cohen, too, but I doubt Nagy makes Cohen a 25 touch featured player.  More like 10-15.  Cohen is good enough to do some damage with that number, and keep his small frame from taking too much of a pounding.

On 3/1/2018 at 7:22 PM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I will also take him with my last fantasy pick... 

After I take Jordan Howard with my 2nd to last fantasy pick. 

Just take Todd Gurley there instead.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2018 at 8:57 PM, irvnasty said:

Jordan Howard is an elite NFL RB. He is slow, but he reads blocks perfectly and always gets more than what is there. He was born to run inside in the NFL. He was a solid fantasy asset despite one of the worst possible situations (QB, no WR, OL injury, game script) imaginable.

There must be like 20 elite RB's in the NFL then.

3 hours ago, dogfightgiggle said:

What he really needs to do is become a fixture on 3rd down.  Anything beyond that is icing.

His claim to fame is the expectation he’ll be featured in the passing game.  And, he has a better coach...

I changed my mind... he’s not worth drafting.  I’d rather stash a rookie that has more upside.

CBS says “massive upside” but unless Howard gets hurt I’m not buying it.

Cohen will be available on waivers if he flashes.

16 hours ago, milesberg said:

16 hours ago, milesberg said:

In no world will he ever be a top 6-8 RB

• Like 1

In no world will he ever be a top 6-8 RB

While I'm not suggesting Tarik finishes 6-8, I will suggest that "In no world" seems limited in imagination, or at least limited history: when Rodney Hampton went down in '90, Dave Meggett carried the Giant's to the Super Bowl, and he's essentially the same size as Tarik Cohen. If da Bears lose their big RBs, they could do a lot worse than Tarik.

• Like 1