NYR Fan 116894

Tarik Cohen 2018 Outlook

17 minutes ago, devaster said:

Coach speak

Why do you believe that? 

He's an explosive play-maker who can take it to the house on any given play he has the ball in his hands.

Look @  Andy Reid disciples use of RB's in the passing game (Ricky Watters, Brian Westbrook, McCoy,etc...) and 64-80 receptions isn't out of the question.

10 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

Why do you believe that? 

He's an explosive play-maker who can take it to the house on any given play he has the ball in his hands.

Well as a RB I don't believe in that amount of receptions. But if they are going to deploy him consistently as a slot WR I can see those numbers being attainable. At this point it is coach speak. Not much will be known until pre-season.

1 hour ago, devaster said:

Coach speak

What exact aspect is coach speak? He didn't give a volume or a specific role. He's mostly praised thinks that are factually true: Cohen's Speed, Versatility, and his extremely underrated on and off-field Football awareness. 

6 minutes ago, taobball said:

What exact aspect is coach speak? He didn't give a volume or a specific role. He's mostly praised thinks that are factually true: Cohen's Speed, Versatility, and his extremely underrated on and off-field Football awareness. 

People are reading into it as volume or role increase though.

7 minutes ago, devaster said:

You don't think his role will increase going from a traditional, bland coaching style to an entirely new offensive direction with an entirely new minded HC/OC? 

I don't think that's coach speak... I think that's logic. I'm not saying his role will be insane, and he'll probalby be a bit prone to needing the big play too. But if you don't think his role increases from his rookie season in the John Fox / Dowell Loggains scheme you're just as wrong as anyone who thinks he's an incredible three-down back. 

2 hours ago, Experienced Rookie said:

4-5 catches puts him on pace for 64-80 end of season.  He had 53 in a full season last year.

3 per game is a more realistic average unless you see a concrete reason for more targets this year.

Scheme, Coaching Staff... two pretty concrete reasons. The fact that every play called will be different is fairly substantial methinks. 

30 rushing yards, and 4 catches for 30 receiving yards per game...

He doesn't need his role to grow into something crazy in order to produce. That's already 10 PPR points per game without a single big play or TD. Cohen is going to quietly be a great RB2 this year. 

18 minutes ago, taobball said:

You don't think his role will increase going from a traditional, bland coaching style to an entirely new offensive direction with an entirely new minded HC/OC? 

I don't think that's coach speak... I think that's logic. I'm not saying his role will be insane, and he'll probalby be a bit prone to needing the big play too. But if you don't think his role increases from his rookie season in the John Fox / Dowell Loggains scheme you're just as wrong as anyone who thinks he's an incredible three-down back. 

Oh it will be better than last season. But I see a lot of folks reading into the coach speak as Cohen being the next Westbrook or JC.

1 minute ago, devaster said:

Oh it will be better than last season. But I see a lot of folks reading into the coach speak as Cohen being the next Westbrook or JC.

I'm the founder of the Tarik Cohen fan club. I'm not even that high on him, so I doubt anyone is. 

3 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

30 rushing yards, and 4 catches for 30 receiving yards per game...

He doesn't need his role to grow into something crazy in order to produce. That's already 10 PPR points per game without a single big play or TD. Cohen is going to quietly be a great RB2 this year. 

Of all the new faces around the league last PS, Cohen definitely stood out during the snaps I witnessed.  Knowing nothing about the guy pre-draft, he made me a believer out of me in short order.

Of course, Abdullah passed my eye test his rookie season too, so I'm not always right.  That said, I'm still in on Cohen, coach speak or not, until he suddenly doesn't look the part on tape.  

He's getting all kinds of hype around Chicago and he's just one of many weapons the Bears now have for MT to get the ball to. 

In PPR he'll be gold and he returns kicks occasionally. 

He's got an outside shot at 80 catches this year. Anything that happened in Chicago last year on offense can be thrown out the window. Nagy and Fox might be polar opposite coaches. He's a steal right now in full PPR dynasty.

3 hours ago, devaster said:

It's very safe to forecast more quality touches for Cohen.  If Nagy wasn't happy with his 2-headed backfield he would've drafted a rb from this rb-heavy class

11 minutes ago, GhostOfCap said:

He's got an outside shot at 80 catches this year. Anything that happened in Chicago last year on offense can be thrown out the window. Nagy and Fox might be polar opposite coaches. He's a steal right now in full PPR dynasty.

58 is my over/under..I do not think he'll see a lot more targets, but he'll average @ 8-10 yds per catch

1 hour ago, GhostOfCap said:

Pick 7.5 in a 12 team ppr dynasty

;)

1 hour ago, psygolf said:

58 is my over/under..I do not think he'll see a lot more targets, but he'll average @ 8-10 yds per catch

Over. 

Naggy is well versed in the power of preseason coachspeak:lol:

20 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Over. 

Why would he have more catches than Hunt in the same system without the benefit of being on the field as much as him?

17 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Why would he have more catches than Hunt in the same system without the benefit of being on the field as much as him?

Because he's a better receiver than Hunt (not that Hunt is bad) and they will find ways to use him as a receiver, even when Howard is in the backfield. 

1 hour ago, ajs723 said:

Because he's a better receiver than Hunt (not that Hunt is bad) and they will find ways to use him as a receiver, even when Howard is in the backfield. 

He will be further down the totem pole as a receiver in '18 than he was last year.

1 hour ago, psygolf said:

He will be further down the totem pole as a receiver in '18 than he was last year.

The offense will be so much exponentially more competent that it will offset this, even if true. The Bears have ARob, Gabriel, a rookie, and two unproven tight ends. Look at how much more is ahead of a guy like Kamara on his team's totem pole. Or Tevin Coleman. He had Julio Jones, Gabriel, Sanu, Hooper, and a pass catching running back ahead of him, and he did fine. 

If the coaching staff understands how to use Cohen (and by all accounts they do), then he can easily get 5 or 6 targets per game. 

Edited by ajs723

Also, remember that there were games where the Bears basically refused to even try to throw the ball last season. In fact, here's a list of teams who threw fewer passes than the Bears last year:

That won't happen this year. They could literally throw the ball 100 More times this year. More throws mean more targets. I see somewhere around 80 targets for Cohen. A slight uptick from last season.