ajs723

Jordan Howard 2018 Outlook

Posted (edited)

There are a handful of RBs who most of us would be truly be “comfortable” with as our RB1. The rest all have questions or uncertainties of some sort, and cases could be made for or against them being RB1’sin 2018. 

I’ve heard rumors and rumblings about Jordan Howard being a poor fit, on the trading block, etc, but have we heard this from anyone really worth listening to? Until we hear something along those lines from the Bears coaching staff, I think it makes sense to assume they are aware that Howard has been the lone bright spot on the team for a couple years and one of the best RBs in the NFL, despite being the focal point of a horrible offense system. 

Nagy may have some tricks up his sleeve but he’s still going to run the football and need a guy that can punch it into the end zone and kill the clock when they have a lead...for a change. Hard to buy into the idea that Nagy is going ship out the one consistently productive offensive piece left over from the previous regime. If anything, a proven, dependable productive RB like Howard should be welcome in any offensive scheme. At this point, this seems like nothing more than baseless offseason jibber-jabber to me. 

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Rb1 is his FLOOR 

Um.

Huh?

1247 yards rushing/receiving last season, 9 TDs rushing. Solid numbers, but RB1 floor this coming year? Yes, in 2016, 1611 yards / 7 TDs --- wow. And all that in 15 games. But there was no competition. Last year, enter TCohen and we see 723 yards (and 53 receptions) get ripped out of Howard's jaws. As it is, Howard only earned double-digit fantasy points in half of his 2017 games. I know I'm mixing it up a bit here----talking year end totals and weekly totals----but for me the jury is still out on whether or not I can rely on Howard. I'm not targeting him, but if he fell into my lap (Round 3 or $25-$34 auction), I'd sign him up. Considering that he flopped half of last season's games (in part due to coaching, in part due to game script, defenses crowding the box, but single-digit points nonetheless), there's no way he's my zero-RB candidate in drafting. I'll need to think more on this, but I don't feel it so far fetched to consider Howard ending up in a DHenry or ICrowell ballpark regarding next season's point totals, and both of them should go two rounds after Howard.

34 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Nagy may have some tricks up his sleeve but he’s still going to run the football and need a guy that can punch it into the end zone and kill the clock when they have a lead...for a change

It is plausible that Chicago will be playing from behind more than killing the clock, and this scenario isn't the best for Howard, but I agree with your post all in all, though this one tidbit is pretty funny.

9 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

Um.

Huh?

Yep. I said it 

Too far? :D

26 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Yep. I said it 

Too far? :D

Too floor

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cohenstantinople said:

It is plausible that Chicago will be playing from behind more than killing the clock, and this scenario isn't the best for Howard, but I agree with your post all in all, though this one tidbit is pretty funny.

I didn’t mean to imply Chicago will be killing the clock a ton, just that presumably they’ll have a lead more often than last year.

Edited by Lamont Sanford

30 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I didn’t mean to imply Chicago will be killing the clock a ton, just that presumably they’ll have a lead more often than last year.

tenor.gif?itemid=9183743

25 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

tenor.gif?itemid=9183743

Well, they went from #24 to #9 in points against last year...and it looks like another D-heavy draft for them.  I don't expect them to regress on that side.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Good points all around.  

It can't be denied that Howard has been game script dependent to date.  With Cohen there, how does that change unless Howard suddenly shows major pass chops and Nagy uses him like Shanahan decided to use Hyde last season (despite Hyde not being the most perfect fit for that offense)?

As he should be, Nagy is all about getting the best out of Trubisky.  A RB who can do it all (so that the offense isn't predictable on any down) would help Trubisky.  For that reason I would be surprised if Pace doesn't add a back in the draft who we all conclude poses a threat to Howard's usage in 2018.

Edited by Rolling Thunder

If Nagy truly doesn’t plan on using Howard to the best of his ability then it would be foolish not to trade a player like him for something that would be more beneficial to his system. Howard is a proven commodity that other teams (Seattle, Indy, etc) would be happy to make use of. Wasting Howards ability/value by having him watch from the sideline makes no sense for anyone, not to mention the fans/Chicago media would be upset.

• Like 1

Is it fair to question the strategic move to not use Howard?  (assuming the "he doesn't fit the system" rhetoric is true).    Personally, I've always favored coaches who dont force a system on players, instead working with the talent they have, and I think those coaches are ultimately more successful.     I'm not saying Howard is Shaun Alexander or anything, but he's got to have some usefulness, especially as cheap labor for two more years.    

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BrianM said:

Is it fair to question the strategic move to not use Howard?  (assuming the "he doesn't fit the system" rhetoric is true).    Personally, I've always favored coaches who dont force a system on players, instead working with the talent they have, and I think those coaches are ultimately more successful.     I'm not saying Howard is Shaun Alexander or anything, but he's got to have some usefulness, especially as cheap labor for two more years.    

It would be more than fair.    This is all hilarious speculation with zero base in reality.  

Now some are convinced they draft a rb early despite having a dynamic combination of Howard and Cohen.    both on cheap rookie deals.    Lol.  If the bears waste draft capital like this- they deserve to stay in the basement.  

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

If Nagy truly doesn’t plan on using Howard to the best of his ability then it would be foolish not to trade a player like him for something that would be more beneficial to his system. Howard is a proven commodity that other teams (Seattle, Indy, etc) would be happy to make use of. Wasting Howards ability/value by having him watch from the sideline makes no sense for anyone, not to mention the fans/Chicago media would be upset.

What do we think he's worth...2nd or 3rd rd?   Bad year to try to trade a rb before this year's crop.

17 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

It would be more than fair.    This is all hilarious speculation with zero base in reality.  

Now some are convinced they draft a rb early despite having a dynamic combination of Howard and Cohen.    both on cheap rookie deals.    Lol.  If the bears waste draft capital like this- they deserve to stay in the basement.  

If they use a 2nd rd on a rb like Sony, it'll be because they think he can be a Hunt/Kamara 2.0 ...which would be worth the price, right? 

What other player forecasted in the 2nd would make them a better team??

2 minutes ago, psygolf said:

If they use a 2nd rd on a rb like Sony, it'll be because they think he can be a Hunt/Kamara 2.0 ...which would be worth the price, right? 

What other player forecasted in the 2nd would make them a better team??

Next year or 2020 would make a lot more sense- if you decide to go that route.   See how he does in the new offense while he’s cheap.  

Much thinner crop of rbs, and Howard will need a new deal by then 

1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:

Next year or 2020 would make a lot more sense- if you decide to go that route.   See how he does in the new offense while he’s cheap.  

Much thinner crop of rbs, and Howard will need a new deal by then 

I just disagree...again, this would be if they were fortunate enough to see Sony on the board in the 2nd.   In a thinner rb crop year, an rb of his talent would most likely be a 1st rd rb.   

If the Bears go with either Edmunds/Smith/Davenport/Landry in the 1st, we will see them go offense in the second...which could be out of the Price/Sony/Sutton/Moore group if they slip a bit...hell, maybe even Lamar if he's there.

I still like Ward in the 1st rd.

1 minute ago, psygolf said:

I just disagree...again, this would be if they were fortunate enough to see Sony on the board in the 2nd.   In a thinner rb crop year, an rb of his talent would most likely be a 1st rd rb.   

If the Bears go with either Edmunds/Smith/Davenport/Landry in the 1st, we will see them go offense in the second...which could be out of the Price/Sony/Sutton/Moore group if they slip a bit...hell, maybe even Lamar if he's there.

I still like Ward in the 1st rd.

Good analysis Psy-  I was wondering what u had the Bears doing in the draft.  

Sony COULD be there in the second...you’ve got Barkley, Guice, and Chubb all lining up before him.  Unless someone really loves Sony.   

I guess if u can get a second it’s a reasonable move for Howard.   Who’s going to give that now?  Most teams are set or planning on drafting a rb.   Next year u might get a second plus if Howard continues his excellent play.   He would still have a year left on his contract-  that has value no doubt.  

Whats the plan at wr?  I like where u guys are going on D. 

JH finished as the RB9 overall in his rookie season playing 15 games in standard.

Last year, with the addition of T Cohen and a mess of an offense, Howard dropped to an RB10 finish in standard.

JH is currently being drafted in the second half of round 2 in standard.

If things still lie the way they are come FF Draft Day, I will take J Howard as my RB2 all day long. Especially at that price.

36 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Good analysis Psy-  I was wondering what u had the Bears doing in the draft.  

Sony COULD be there in the second...you’ve got Barkley, Guice, and Chubb all lining up before him.  Unless someone really loves Sony.   

I guess if u can get a second it’s a reasonable move for Howard.   Who’s going to give that now?  Most teams are set or planning on drafting a rb.   Next year u might get a second plus if Howard continues his excellent play.   He would still have a year left on his contract-  that has value no doubt.  

Whats the plan at wr?  I like where u guys are going on D. 

Myself, I wouldn't mind a Ward start, followed by L.Carter or R.Evans.

They might as well spend their two 4th rd picks on Tate/Gallup/Cobbs and see who sticks...then they can comb the cap space roster cuts that will be coming after June 1st.   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

"Featured" in the window front for future trade...?

Edited by psygolf

I'm surprised there is so little talk about Howard so far.  The coaching staff has specified that they are working with him on catching the ball which is the major flaw in his game.  He isn't a flashy player, but he has a solid lock on 250 carries and this offense should be much better this year, resulting in better game scripts and more touchdown opportunities.  I love Howard in the 3rd - 4th rounds this year, what do you guys think? 

I think his current ADP is just right, he's fine at RB2 in that mix.     The new staff combined with some of the offseason additions give me hope that the offense can improve greatly.   I think some were gunshy when those rumors floated about Nagy not committing to Howard, but now that they didnt draft or acquire any new ones, i think its safe to say he'll be the lead back.     There's certainly potential value here, i guess the only real question is:  Can this offense improve enough to sustain both backs for fantasy production?  I feel fairly confident that both Cohen and Howard have roles and some volume.  Will there be enough to go around?  That'll come down to efficiency.  Can they run enough plays?  Is their D good enough to get off the field and give the O more possessions?  Can they produce enough TD's? etc

On 3/4/2018 at 1:30 AM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

You know Landry plays outside too right? 

Yeah, but not well. I can try to find the numbers if you want but his success rate outside is awful 

12 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I think his current ADP is just right, he's fine at RB2 in that mix.     The new staff combined with some of the offseason additions give me hope that the offense can improve greatly.   I think some were gunshy when those rumors floated about Nagy not committing to Howard, but now that they didnt draft or acquire any new ones, i think its safe to say he'll be the lead back.     There's certainly potential value here, i guess the only real question is:  Can this offense improve enough to sustain both backs for fantasy production?  I feel fairly confident that both Cohen and Howard have roles and some volume.  Will there be enough to go around?  That'll come down to efficiency.  Can they run enough plays?  Is their D good enough to get off the field and give the O more possessions?  Can they produce enough TD's? etc

I mean is the D that much of a question?

the offense is a variable but it is one with quite a bit of upside. 

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/the-main-guy-what-will-jordan-howard-become-in-the-bears-new-offense/

“He throws the ball to me himself,” running back Jordan Howard said. “He helps me work on my [catching].”

The truth is Nagy always had a place in mind for Howard — “He already said I’m going to be the main guy,” Howard said — and the Bears never had any real interest in trading him.

Coming off consecutive 1,000-yard rushing seasons for two bad teams, Howard arguably is the only sure thing about a Bears offense that’s undergoing an extreme makeover for quarterback Mitch Trubisky. It wouldn’t be surprising if the Bears leaned on Howard in the early going as Trubisky settles in.

But is there room in Nagy’s offense for a traditional bell-cow running back?

“He’s proven that he’s done that, so that’s for sure,” Nagy said. “In this offense, it’s more game specific, as to whether or not you need that.”

So, yes and no. It all depends.

Hunt made 53 catches for 455 yards and three touchdowns as a rookie last season for Nagy. In two seasons, Howard has 52 receptions for 423 yards and one score.

“We’re pretty different, but coach knows how to work with everybody,” Howard said.

That said, the Bears still want Howard to improve as a receiver. Consider it a goal for Nagy. Running backs coach Charles London said Howard needs to improve his hand placement, concentration and hand-eye coordination.

Howard’s talents as a runner, though, shouldn’t be disregarded. He isn’t the fastest back, but he’s patient and powerful. He also excelled out of shotgun formations and in zone schemes that Nagy will feature in his offense.

The arrivals of receivers Allen Robinson, Taylor Gabriel and Anthony Miller and tight end Trey Burton should benefit Howard as much as Trubisky.

According to the NFL’s “Next Generation” statistics, Howard faced eight players in the box on 43.12 percent of his 276 rushing attempts last season.

Jonathan Stewart (Panthers) and Leonard Fournette (Jaguars) were the only primary starters who faced a higher percentage.

“Definitely a sign of respect,” Howard said.

Giddyup.

• Like 1