ajs723

Jordan Howard 2018 Outlook

1 minute ago, Cotton Jones said:

Yeah there's some hope here.

Bucs are the ultimate pass-funnel defense.

I mentioned earlier it was said (where?) Nagy gameplanned against the lack of speed on the Bucs front 7

These Bucs stats are through Week 5. Following I will copy/paste the Dolphins stats against the run

Every matchup favors Cohen because the Bears run a gimmicky option offense now. Only Token run plays up the gut to move the ball in proper position for Nagy is all Howard will get. Trubisky will get all goalline carries on QB sweeps/Options

3 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Every matchup favors Cohen because the Bears run a gimmicky option offense now. 

It was one game.

26 minutes ago, Cotton Jones said:

It was one game.

It was but the writing may be on the wall (as it was for freeman, Collins). I have to start him as I benched clement so hopefully he or Cohen (or both) show up. 

4 minutes ago, Guwop said:

It was but the writing may be on the wall (as it was for freeman, Collins). I have to start him as I benched clement so hopefully he or Cohen (or both) show up. 

May be.

May not be.

None of us know.

Cohen had one game out of 4 where he was used heavily. It happens to have been the most recent game, so you have people who are overreacting and freaking out, and people who think they somehow know what the Bears coaching staff thinks about.

Edited by Cotton Jones
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cotton Jones said:

May be.

May not be.

None of us know.

Cohen had one game out of 4 where he was used heavily. It happens to have been the most recent game, so you have people who are overreacting and freaking out, and people who think they somehow know what the Bears coaching staff thinks about.

True but horrible usage will do that around here. I'm hoping he'll give a Mixon-like performance. Maybe they'll give him a chance to catch too. 

20 minutes ago, Guwop said:

True but horrible usage will do that around here. I'm hoping he'll give a Mixon-like performance. Maybe they'll give him a chance to catch too. 

Yeah, it's not a bad spot. Can't expect Dolphins to put up a bunch of points on this D and then force Trub into catch-up mode. Howard should be in play for 4 quarters.

Let's keep in mind that the Bears knew they would have little/no success running the ball inside against the Bucs.

Edited by Cotton Jones

Maybe, just maybe, their OL has gelled over the bye week. I mean Leno and Massie are at best below-average bookends, but grade out well. Whitehair and Long are supposed to be the backbone of this OL, yet they generate no push in the run game, which is somewhat surprising. Their LG Kush is among the worst starters in the NFL. They have promising rookie James Daniels waiting in the wings, so for Howard's sake let's hope Kush is replaced sooner rather than later! You have an elite defense, go pound the rock and make it easy for Trubs with play action!

8 minutes ago, frog34 said:

You have an elite defense, go pound the rock and make it easy for Trubs with play action!

Everyone on this thread realizes this, Nagy however begs to differ...

• Like 1

New generation coaches like Nagy don't like to pound the rock. They'd rather confuse you with complex schemes and formations and a slick playbook that makes fans say, "wow!"

Worked pretty well last week. Jordan Howard will still have a role, but I think he's better regarded as a committee guy vs a workhorse. I suspect Cohen and he will trade big games, which is tough from a fantasy standpoint because you don't know which week will be which guy's day to shine.

2 hours ago, bsong71 said:

New generation coaches like Nagy don't like to pound the rock. They'd rather confuse you with complex schemes and formations

It's working. I'm confused when it comes to Jordan Howard and mini-me-Howard.

howard_cohen_vamos_092917.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, frog34 said:

Maybe, just maybe, their OL has gelled over the bye week. I mean Leno and Massie are at best below-average bookends, but grade out well. Whitehair and Long are supposed to be the backbone of this OL, yet they generate no push in the run game, which is somewhat surprising. Their LG Kush is among the worst starters in the NFL. They have promising rookie James Daniels waiting in the wings, so for Howard's sake let's hope Kush is replaced sooner rather than later! You have an elite defense, go pound the rock and make it easy for Trubs with play action!

I'm not sure how you can keep calling the OL terrible (especially when the grades do not support your claim), then you go ahead and make the suggestion for the coach to pound the rock.  That's a strange hop. 

37 minutes ago, psygolf said:

I'm not sure how you can keep calling the OL terrible (especially when the grades do not support your claim), then you go ahead and make the suggestion for the coach to pound the rock.  That's a strange hop. 

The supposed strength was their interior OL. Whitehair and Long are counted among the best interior linemen in the league. Unfortunately, they don't grade out well and when you watch the games, their lack of push in the run game is evident. Kush was always thought to be bad and is just confirming that notion. Leno and Massie were never thought to be above average, but at least adequate. Both grade really well in pass pro, but still bad in run blocking. As individuals and as a whole unit, the run blocking this OL provides is just bad. Howard is basically out there fighting tacklers in the backfield to avoid losing yards.

The point of my previous post was that their OL could get their act together as a unit coming out of the bye week. In theory this unit should be at least average. If they can get to that territory again, Howard will eat.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, frog34 said:

The supposed strength was their interior OL. Whitehair and Long are counted among the best interior linemen in the league. Unfortunately, they don't grade out well and when you watch the games, their lack of push in the run game is evident. Kush was always thought to be bad and is just confirming that notion. Leno and Massie were never thought to be above average, but at least adequate. Both grade really well in pass pro, but still bad in run blocking. As individuals and as a whole unit, the run blocking this OL provides is just bad. Howard is basically out there fighting tacklers in the backfield to avoid losing yards.

The point of my previous post was that their OL could get their act together as a unit coming out of the bye week. In theory this unit should be at least average. If they can get to that territory again, Howard will eat.

Can you provide the thread with these grades?

49 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Can you provide the thread with these grades?

PFF.

I'm not even big on their grades or grades in general, as grades are always subjective. However, I was curious what's wrong with Howard. The Bucs blowout was a flat out anomaly. Such things happen once in a while. Other than the Bucs game, Howard got a proper amount of touches. Anybody watching the games could see that he was hit in the backfield a lot. Now was it solely on their OL, or scheme, or Howard running the wrong way? That's why I looked up the grades.

Bottom line: Howard has a very good 1.85 yac. His OL has just been bad in run blocking throughout. That's the point. If the OL gets their act together after the bye week or at some point by midseason, Howard will be in low RB1 conversation again. If run blocking doesn't improve, he will remain a low end RB2.

Don't let yourself fool in him being a weak flex or something like that, or losing the lead gig to Cohen. The Bucs game was his only fantasy stinker. Other than that he's on solid RB2 pace even with bad blocking.

Edited by frog34
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, frog34 said:

PFF.

I'm not even big on their grades or grades in general, as grades are always subjective. However, I was curious what's wrong with Howard. The Bucs blowout was a flat out anomaly. Such things happen once in a while. Other than the Bucs game, Howard got a proper amount of touches. Anybody watching the games could see that he was hit in the backfield a lot. Now was it solely on their OL, or scheme, or Howard running the wrong way? That's why I looked up the grades.

Bottom line: Howard has a very good 1.85 yac. His OL has just been bad in run blocking throughout. That's the point. If the OL gets their act together after the bye week or at some point by midseason, Howard will be in low RB1 conversation again. If run blocking doesn't improve, he will remain a low end RB2.

Don't let yourself fool in him being a weak flex or something like that, or losing the lead gig to Cohen. The Bucs game was his only fantasy stinker. Other than that he's on solid RB2 pace even with bad blocking.

PFF has them ranked #11 thru week 5

• Haha 1

I don't believe I sold low, but I think the value is appropriate for moving on from Howard in one league. If anyone cares, you can PM me.

I still own Howard in 2 other re-draft leagues so I'm fairly optimistic he will pick things up. But I don't believe he'll match last year's numbers. Nagy just isn't going to give Howard the workload that Fox game him in previous years.

This Sunday should be telling though. Plan of attack against the Dolphins should be steady on the ground.

What Howard owners need to worry about is if we see Benny Cunningham getting in on the action more frequently. He's bigger than Cohen, but obviously not Howard. If that starts the happen, it's probably time to abandon ship then. 

howard_cohen_vamos_092917.jpg

Look here, m-----------.  This my backfield now.  Coach Matt told me so.  Now go sit on the bench and don't say s---.

or...

Hey, bruh.  I know the bunk beds were my idea, but you gotta move your s--- out of my room now.  My mom is gonna set up a cot for you in the basement.  You can't eat dinner with us no more either.

Edited by JJ1223
  • Haha 2

Nagy, like McVay, wants a RB who doesn't telegraph run/pass.

Jordan Howard is not it. He's a plodder. 

Sell this guy.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, FF4life said:

He's a plodder. 

Nah

Matt Asiata is a plodder.  Howard is a solid runningback who understands how to get positive yardage. 

Just now, Zak0221 said:

Nah

Matt Asiata is a plodder.  Howard is a solid runningback who understands how to get positive yardage. 

5th round pick. Drafted as an old-school pounder for old-school John Fox. 

His YPC is 3.2 for a reason. 

SELL SELL SELL

1 minute ago, FF4life said:

5th round pick. Drafted as an old-school pounder for old-school John Fox. 

His YPC is 3.2 for a reason. 

SELL SELL SELL

Okay sure he isn't lighting the world a afire but I hate when people use JAG or plodder when the player is clearly neither. 

Damien Williams is a JAG for example that dude couldnt even hold Howard's jockstrap. 

Edited by Zak0221

Just now, Zak0221 said:

Okay sure he isn't lighting the world a afire but I hate when people use JAG or plodder when the player is clearly neither. 

Howard does not fit the scheme that his Head Coach runs.

The sooner Howard owners realize this, the better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guy with back to back seasons of 1100+ yards, has 3 "bad" games and now he's a plodder.  Do us a favor, keep it to yourself next time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, psygolf said:

PFF has them ranked #11 thru week 5

At being an offensive line? Ok. Poster was talking about run blocking.