ajs723

Jordan Howard 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

56 minutes ago, FF4life said:

I told Jordan Howard owners to sell him this past week.

They didn't listen.

Now his value just dropped even further.

Why would anyone care about your opinion? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Guwop said:

Why are people blaming trubisky and Nagy's play calling for the loss to Miami. I don't like what Nagy has done in terms of Howard but trubisky did his job.

Howard fumbled at the goalline

Bears defense gave up 20,000 points to the fgucking dolphins with Brock Osweiler.

Nagy isn't gonna look at the game and say "hey if Jordan howard got more touches the defense wouldn't have been torched by Albert Wilson" 

Hope is dangerous in fantasy football. 

You can blame them because the Dolphins had the ball for 36 minutes. If the Bears estabilshed any sort of a run game they'd have kept Brock Osweiler off the field and from throwing for 380 yards on them. 

• Like 4

I put out about five trades involving him last week to teams weak at RB.  I ended up getting JuJu in a standard scoring league straight up (guy had Fournette, Cook, McCoy) and was pretty ecstatic.  Also, another manager mentioned that he would have accepted my offer as well but the JuJu deal was done.  So last week there was definitely some interest (in my league).  Probably wouldn't have been any in PPR.

However, after this week his value took a big knock.  Week 4 could have been an aberration and game plan dependent.  After this week, against an average team, it doesn't look as promising. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, K197040 said:

That's a ridiculous statement.    With the bye weeks, if there's someone that can help my team for a week, I won't think twice about dropping Howard.

I would like to hold on to see if the Eagles try to trade for him.   But I'm not going to hold on to him indefinitely just because of who he is and where I drafted him.

Who said indefinitely?   It’s week 6 and there has been one game in the entire NFL below freezing temps.   That’s when these big bruising backs start to really shine.    Can’t control Nagy but there’s way too much season left to drop your second round pick because of a slow start.  

Likewise-  he’s not worth diddly in a trade right now.    Just take a breath my friend...and use your bench as it’s intended.    

3 minutes ago, Edgeraid said:

You can blame them because the Dolphins had the ball for 36 minutes. If the Bears estabilshed any sort of a run game they'd have kept Brock Osweiler off the field and from throwing for 380 yards on them. 

If the defense lived up to their name by stopping frank gore and actually trying to tackle Albert Wilson they win the game. Only blaming the offense because you own Jordan Howard is silly when they put up 28 and would have had more without HOWARD fumbling at the goal line. 

Hate Nagy and trubisky all you want but if you think he's scaling back on trubisky against the Pats after going

22/31 for 316 yards with 3 TDs/1Int and 47 yards rushing you're kidding yourself. That's not a scrub stat-line. 

14 minutes ago, Guwop said:

Why are people blaming trubisky and Nagy's play calling for the loss to Miami. I don't like what Nagy has done in terms of Howard but trubisky did his job.

Howard fumbled at the goalline

Bears defense gave up 20,000 points to the fgucking dolphins with Brock Osweiler.

Nagy isn't gonna look at the game and say "hey if Jordan howard got more touches the defense wouldn't have been torched by Albert Wilson" 

Hope is dangerous in fantasy football. 

The problem is defense and offense work together more than people realize. The reason Seattle had such a dominant defense is because obviously they were elite but also they would pound the rock on offense and control the clock. Now, not only is your defense dominating they tend to be well rested while the opponents defense is not. The Bears were up most of the game including being up 21-10 and still somehow managed to lose the time of possession battle. That is an absolutely laughable coaching fail.

They took a 14-7 lead against an absolutely terrible offense with a terrible QB. From that point on, they only had one drive go over 5 minutes. 

They were up 21-13 to end the 3rd with the ball. They proceed to only take 3 minutes off the clock with only a single RB run. Including choosing to pass at the 3 yard line on first down, and then pass again only to throw an interception. 

That's unacceptable from a coaching perspective knowing your personnel and the opponents personnel. Stomping on the opponents neck and flooring it works when you have a very good offense (mainly QB) and non elite defense. The smart thing to do up 21-13 was to control the clock, have a long drive, and send out a well rested defense. Instead, Nagy chose to put the game in his terrible QBs hands and it cost them. Bears averaged over 5 YPC as a team. The run game was working very well. 

Edited by Gohawks
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

The problem is defense and offense work together more than people realize. The reason Seattle had such a dominant defense is because obviously they were elite but also they would pound the rock on offense and control the clock. Now, not only is your defense dominating they tend to be well rested while the opponents defense is not. The Bears were up most of the game including being up 21-10 and still somehow managed to lose the time of possession battle. That is an absolutely laughable coaching fail.

They took a 14-7 lead against an absolutely terrible offense with a terrible QB. From that point on, they only had one drive go over 5 minutes. 

They were up 21-13 to end the 3rd with the ball. They proceed to only take 3 minutes off the clock with only a single RB run. Including choosing to pass at the 3 yard line on first down, and then pass again only to throw an interception. 

That's unacceptable from a coaching perspective knowing your personnel and the opponents personnel. Stomping on the opponents neck and flooring it works when you have a very good offense (mainly QB) and non elite defense. The smart thing to do up 21-13 was to control the clock, have a long drive, and send out a well rested defense. Instead, Nagy chose to put the game in his terrible QBs hands and it cost them. Bears averaged over 5 YPC as a team. The run game was working very well. 

Granted. I guess my point is that Nagy was 3-1 doing it his way and narrowly lost against the dolphins trying to make trubisky Tom Brady. I don't see him changing that strategy ROS regardless of temperature. He's seems bent on doing it his way. You can accommodate for that or fight it as someone else reaps the rewards

38 minutes ago, Wynter12 said:

I would love more anything to sell this guy. No one wants him. And at this rate, any offers I got before this game were bench warmers I couldn't put in my lineup either.

I was so confident in this damn pick too. 

Cohen has been great and it's so annoying as a Howard owner lol  I legitimately may play Phillip freaking Lindsay over Howard from now on -_- at least I know I'd get double digit points.

While it was nice to see Howard break off some good runs this game, I have no confidence in anything going forward. All I would be doing is hoping for a big game as he gives me single digits until then. 

Nailed it.

Especially since I was also sure he would be a rock solid high end RB2. 

No on wants him. I can’t trade him for anything in terms of an RB and any other position, the only value I might get is already available on the waiver wire. Useless.

He is this year’s DeMarco Murray 2017 without the two big games. 

I think the most painful part at this point is I am afraid to drop him because he could have a blow up game (it’s mathematically possible) against me or Cohen could get hurt and someone else could ride him in to the sunset. 

Just completely radioactive at this point. 

Edited by FreakFries
  • Like 1

The saddest part about all this was that we were all calling for John Fox's head last year when in reality, Fox was the best thing for his value because that man feed Howard the ball Lol.

20 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Who said indefinitely?   It’s week 6 and there has been one game in the entire NFL below freezing temps.   That’s when these big bruising backs start to really shine.    Can’t control Nagy but there’s way too much season left to drop your second round pick because of a slow start.  

Likewise-  he’s not worth diddly in a trade right now.    Just take a breath my friend...and use your bench as it’s intended.    

So if it's not indefinitely, when do you drop or trade him?   

1 minute ago, K197040 said:

So if it's not indefinitely, when do you drop or trade him?   

Dropping him is stupid. Even after this game he is still top 12 in attempts. Trading him all depends on value.

I'll probably keep rolling him out every game for the rest of the season. I can't force myself to bench him for a guy like Barber only to have him perform on my bench. NE is a nice match up in theory. They have smart LBs and I wouldn't be shocked if they take Cohen out of the game. It's probably the most inviting match up on paper all year so far for Howard. Mediocre run defense, chilly weather, and a team that takes away the opponents most dangerous weapon (most likely Cohen). Should be a situation where Howard gets solid volume. 

Should be. Should. ********. Be.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Dropping him is stupid. Even after this game he is still top 12 in attempts. Trading him all depends on value.

I'll probably keep rolling him out every game for the rest of the season. I can't force myself to bench him for a guy like Barber only to have him perform on my bench. NE is a nice match up in theory. They have smart LBs and I wouldn't be shocked if they take Cohen out of the game. It's probably the most inviting match up on paper all year so far for Howard. Mediocre run defense, chilly weather, and a team that takes away the opponents most dangerous weapon (most likely Cohen). Should be a situation where Howard gets solid volume. 

Should be. Should. ********. Be.

I'm not dropping yet.   I had to start him this week and actually felt OK with it.     But it was just more of the same.   He's my RB4 (maybe even RB5) at this point so if there's someone I see on the wire that can help, I just can't justify holding on to Howard.       

He still got 14 carries and 62 yards in a game he was basically benched for a half. If he converts the TD, doesn't get benched, he probably puts up close to 15 fantasy points. 

5 minutes ago, LionKid90 said:

He still got 14 carries and 62 yards in a game he was basically benched for a half. If he converts the TD, doesn't get benched, he probably puts up close to 15 fantasy points. 

Sure...those are actually fine stats and make me feel better about trying to hold on to him.   Although iirc, a large % of the yards came in OT.

My problem isn't with Howard's talent but just the situation.     I'm biased of course, but I think Nagy should be using Howard more often to establish some sort of run game.    He just doesn't seem like he (Nagy) will get away from his "cleverness".

Fantasy is really a simple game. It's mainly a "what have you done for me lately" game. Any fantasy player with some experience has run into a frustrating, quite highly drafted players like Howard. But fantasy is a week-to-week game. I got stuck in many negotiations that resulted in multiple offers and counters. What stuck out to me when analyzing all these back and forth offers is that about half of the trades that were quite conceivable to me on Sunday morning, looked like totally dumb on Monday morning. Enunwa I could've sold for a legit RB2 in week 3, legit WR2 in week 4, untradeable after a dud in week 5, to the WW he goes in week 6. Turnaround in fantasy happens (too) fast.

It was one bad play (goal line fumble) that put Howard from the "solid RB2 again" tier into the dreaded "jump ship" tier. Hence I could've had James White in standard scoring for Howard a couple of weeks ago, and still could've had White for Howard + one of my WR2/3 type players before Sunday. Am I a fool for not accepting? Well, probably. But as you see, value can go both ways very quicky.

If Howard scores next week or totals 100 yards, he is in the "solid RB2 tier" again. I'm usually pessimistic, but I wouldn't advice to "jump ship". If you wanna sell Howard, at least wait for the inevitable good week.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Guwop said:

Granted. I guess my point is that Nagy was 3-1 doing it his way and narrowly lost against the dolphins trying to make trubisky Tom Brady. I don't see him changing that strategy ROS regardless of temperature. He's seems bent on doing it his way. You can accommodate for that or fight it as someone else reaps the rewards

He was 3-1 with that puff schedule beating such powerhouses as Seattle Tampa and barely Arizona. And yesterday they lost to Miami...doesnt matter if it's narrowly or not..small points doesnt matter..last time I remember Oswailer couldnt complete a pass...if he doesnt change his strategy ROS, Bears will be lucky to win game or two..schedule is getting tougher..

I honestly think this sets up for the perfect bounce back game. Obviously I could be wrong, but the recipe to beat the Pats is to run the ball and keep Brady off the field. Pats can be ran on. While I think we can dismiss the idea that Howard will dominate 80% of the snaps, if he can get 15-20 touches and goal line carries I think he will do just great. 

There is a lot of complaining and venting going on in here, and it's understandable. But you need to move onto the next week. Complaining about last week does nothing. If you aren't going to start him that's fine, it's very understandable. But anyone in here high on him this week like I am? I think he runs wild on NE, should be a great game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LionKid90 said:

I honestly think this sets up for the perfect bounce back game. Obviously I could be wrong, but the recipe to beat the Pats is to run the ball and keep Brady off the field. Pats can be ran on. While I think we can dismiss the idea that Howard will dominate 80% of the snaps, if he can get 15-20 touches and goal line carries I think he will do just great. 

There is a lot of complaining and venting going on in here, and it's understandable. But you need to move onto the next week. Complaining about last week does nothing. If you aren't going to start him that's fine, it's very understandable. But anyone in here high on him this week like I am? I think he runs wild on NE, should be a great game.

Could see it.  NE gives up massive points and relies on Brady to bail them out.     Howard’s not leaving my rb2 spot yet.  

2 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Could see it.  NE gives up massive points and relies on Brady to bail them out.     Howard’s not leaving my rb2 spot yet.  

Howard came up big at the end....I don’t see Bears moving away from him

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pjbyrne707 said:

Jeremy Langford 2.0 

This thread should be renamed to "Stupid comparisons that don't make sense."

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

you triggered? 

1 minute ago, Gohawks said:

Seriously...

Anthony Thomas 2.0

24 minutes ago, LionKid90 said:

Don't see it. Miami was supposed to be the bounce back week. Can't just say that until you get it right (if it happens). Pats can be scored on but as we just saw it can be done through the air. I don't have faith in the coaching staff attempting a ball control approach. ESPECIALLY if they fall behind which is very likely. The coaching has shown how they plan to move the ball and they were successful with that approach. That's why people are down on him even against a porous defense

Edited by Guwop